This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Politics

As in time to time instatutions fall prey to politics and i hope theatre organs dont get involved in politics. i came to theatre pipe organs to relax and get away i hope politics dont meddle.

thoughts.
    Instruments:
    22/8 Button accordion.

Political topics aren't often discussed here, but if they are, it would be in the grease pit or in the blower room unless specifically related to an organ, such as the Allen in the Vatican.

Comment

Well, first thing, when used as a pronoun, the letter 'I' is always capitalized. Second, I don't visit the theatre organs forum, but, if you've seen politics there, then ... I fear you are too late with this PSA. If it has not already done so, then you are premature with this observation, and possibly preaching to the choir. The part of speech 'ironic' comes to mind. And while I am beating up on your usage and grammar, 'institution' not 'instatution'. With anyone else I might assume an innocent typo. I've had enough time to observe your writing. You really need to get on the stick there. It really does matter.

Now, with the preceding notwithstanding ... with all due respect Mr. Madison (Ben). Your POV is exactly how we got here! The little I know about the Theatre Organ community and its music says there is a huge body of work celebrating American Patriotism and Nationalism. The intersection between Politics and Patriotism is pretty broad. It is disingenuous to have Politics this close to the precipice to now want to avoid discussing the 'situation'.

There has been a post or two in the past that refers to your age, I think. Am I correct in believing that you are in your 20's? That's old enough to CARE about where this country is heading. Why? Because you are going to be living in that future. Not me. You should (IMO) WANT politics (civilly) discussed in any forum that it is appropriate. That would not be Theatre Organs. So, you are not technically wrong with respect to your POV but I don't think I am too far wrong in believing that you don't really want to see Politics discussed at all in the public sphere. Again, that's how we got here!

People nursing their private little peeves and peccadilloes and working themselves into a Partisan lather until suddenly, against all odds, they now find themselves a conduit to relative prominence. God forgive me if I am wrong, but I fear you have fallen in with those people. More specifically the people on the wrong side of the Partisan Divide. The only people who want Politics to go away right now are those whose POV's are being carried on the winds FOR them and they don't want THAT voice silenced. Because it speaks for them. For you.

With that I am off to church. I will pray for your Enlightenment. Those are my thoughts. You asked.

Comment

• Admin
        Admin commented
        Editing a comment
        Typos are easy to make when on a mobile device. It is true that both desktop and mobile browsers have spell check features that should help keep typos to a minimum, but some tolerance is warranted.

In general, the discussion of politics is permitted only in the Blower Room forums and then only when they are on topic. Political discussions are off-topic elsewhere on the Forum and are either deleted or moved to an appropriate area.

Personally, with Admin hat off, I don't find the discussion of religion and politics on the Internet particularly useful as such discussions tend to be devisive and harmful to the community rather than informative. That said, with Admin hat back on, such discussions are permitted in the areas above. If you find such discussions tedious, as I do, just don't read and participate in them.

If you see politics being injected to topics where they are inappropriate, flag the post for moderator attention.
      -Admin

Allen 965
      Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
      Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
      Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

I really want to kick back and relax and not give a hoot. this is one of my escapes from this. If i am attending a theatre organ concert or silent fim and the organist gets on a rant then im leaving.
        Instruments:
        22/8 Button accordion.

Comment

• KC9UDX
          KC9UDX commented
          Editing a comment
          Does this happen??

Originally posted by Admin View Post
        ... I don't find the discussion of religion and politics on the Internet particularly useful as such discussions tend to be devisive [sic] and harmful to the community rather than informative. ...
        I believe that political discussions tend to be divisive because most people tend to only think within the norms of their own tribe (i.e., left or right). It would do us all good to think of advantages and disadvantage of each side of any issue and be willing to keep an open mind to different approaches. I find good (and bad) with both left and right policies.

Comment

• Admin
          Admin commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree, but it is far more difficult to find common ground in a text based discussion with anonymous stranger on the Internet than with a person seated across from you as other communication cues are absent. Hence, my qualification of "on the Internet."

kc9udx
        no way but in todays political climate it might be happening soon. Theatre pipe organs need to stay out of things.
        its one of the few places that dont involve politics i like that and its a getaway.
        Instruments:
        22/8 Button accordion.

Comment

• myorgan
          myorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Ben,

I know Admin has asked for latitude regarding grammar on this Forum for those using mobile devices, but seriously, my elementary school students know each sentence begins with a capital letter. I hate to rain on your parade, but I find it hard to take one seriously who cannot spell, use proper grammar, or put a sentence together correctly.

Please tell me English is your 2nd language, and that is the cause of your grammatical foibles! I hate to agree with Leisesturm, but I have been avoiding your posts for months because of the lack of grammatical coherence and/or clarity.

Michael

• KC9UDX
          KC9UDX commented
          Editing a comment
          To be far more honest than I normally would like to be, I have to admit that the first time I read the OP, I shook my head in pity for what I thought was a drunk putting his foot in his mouth. I don't assume that this is the case, and still give the benefit of doubt. I only bring this up to emphasise that there is good reason to write in a presentable manner.

There's a fellow that frequents another forum that I read who posts similarly. When called out on it, he explained that he is dyslexic. I can't relate to that and sadly can't even fathom such a disability. I was blessed (and certainly not trying to boast about it) with above average spelling and grammar talents. (I do certainly have my faults!) But even as I "type" this on a "smart"phone, I am constantly checking and correcting errors. Do I catch them all? No. But some of them are pretty wild. Google's (and Apple's, probably others') choice of words sometimes appears to be on an agenda of political correctness. The results could be very embarrassing, to say the least, at times.

• myorgan
          myorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          And yet, KC, you left out a space after the word, "smart."

Seriously, though, to some extent I equate one's grammar skills with their musical skills. For example, if one's writing is undisciplined, full of errors, and/or following random thoughts, I tend to believe that's how they perform–in an undisciplined way, full of errors, and/or following random themes, if any.

That said, I have, on occasion run into exceptions to that belief. While working with incarcerated juveniles, it was quite interesting to hear how their music from when they arrived at the prison was so much different than their music upon leaving. Their music upon entry often reflected the discord in their lives, and for me, was a window into their mind. Once their life obtained some semblance of order and direction before they left, I would often play them an earlier recording from when they entered. Only then could they realize how far they'd come. Over 60% of my students there had an IEP, and at least one learning disability. It was nice to be part of their recovery and restoration to society. Some even attended Berklee upon release.

Michael

The trouble with politics today is it's a lot more pervasive into the lives of the common clay. You have comics like Borat speaking for the ADL, that had Goebbels had Facebook today imagine what he could've accomplished as Borat pushes for the censorship of social media. The point being a perversion of common sense is now the agenda and gaslighting is the norm, telling you something is red when you can see it is plainly blue. When this happens this is not merely politics, it's tyranny and they mean to make your life more uncomfortable than you just escaping to some forum to escape what you consider a nuisance.

If all one does is escape the writing on the wall, then when things get worse, one will not know what is going on as these days it's not just rhetoric that is being discussed, it is actual plans of changing laws as regards free speech and what is fact and what are lies. On top of all that is how you are being impacted down the line for all these surreptitious manipulations of legality that had you paid attention you would be more prepared to protect yourself and your family.

Basically the internet is the only place you can hope to find the truth as the news media is all bought off arms of the purveyors of an agenda to make your lives a nightmare.

Only the mainstream media can afford to be everywhere, on your TV through Hollywood movies, TV sitcoms because this is FULL SPECTRUM DOMINANCE, (being hit from everywhere, all the time and every minute) that is facing you. Close your eyes to this and you are responsible for your own undoing!

All forums have politics sanctions because it is either off-topic or just banned. Either the forum owners don't want to deal with it or are worried their livelihoods will be financially impacted for hosting a truth forum. It is blackmail nonetheless. If the writing on the wall is banned everywhere then one will never know what is going on because they themselves don't want to know and everywhere else he/she goes has closed off the information. Either way, you are compromised. These days being alert and awake is worth more than just having a good time frolicking at the Daisy Hill Puppy Farm.

If they take away your freedoms, your freedoms to play music will be taken away as well!

Don Henley's Inside Job is being banned on Youtube.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/4MAt6AXUQqFE/

Ben Madison Ben Madison
        Politics Yesterday, 08:49 PM

As in time to time instatutions fall prey to politics and i hope theatre organs dont get involved in politics. i came to theatre pipe organs to relax and get away i hope politics dont meddle.

thoughts.
        As what Sasha Baron Cohen is doing, he's pretending to be for free speech while he tries to censor it.

Are you a plant, Ben Madison, to blind the Organ Forum by getting politics banned?

Comment

You started a topic asking that the topic not be brought up.
          When I become dictator, those who preach intolerance will not be tolerated.

Comment

Ok, it seems this has gotten to a bad start. so I am going to reframe the discussion.

Politics has seem to ruin entertainment everytime it has been brought in. I, do not want to have to deal with politics when it comes to theatre pipe organs. The reason being is that this is something that I use to get away from it all. Also, another reason I bring this up is because, I feel as time marches by theatre pipe organ are faced with the possibility of going mainstream again and knowing that the current political climate is volitle and the chances of ripping this community apart is great and what was once a cohesive community has now been trashed.

Yes there is a time and place for kind of political discourse, it should not be in the theatre pipe organ.

instead lets come and gather around the console for a day of peace and sing some happy tunes and forget the cares of the day.

Thoughts?
            Instruments:
            22/8 Button accordion.

Comment

I can't even imagine why you'd bring this up if it isn't happening. Unless, you're deliberately baiting someone. If not, you should know where the tuning knob is; else it's probably a bad idea to turn the radio on.

I had a guy just recently complain pretty severely about one of my YouTube videos. He demanded that I narrate the video. Actually this is the second time this has happened, I think. Watch the whole thing, give a dislike, and complain that I made him watch it. I don't even monetise, so it's not like he was even put out by an ad. Amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Madison View Post
                Ok, it seems this has gotten to a bad start. so I am going to reframe the discussion.

Politics has seem to ruin entertainment everytime it has been brought in. I, do not want to have to deal with politics when it comes to theatre pipe organs. The reason being is that this is something that I use to get away from it all. Also, another reason I bring this up is because, I feel as time marches by theatre pipe organ are faced with the possibility of going mainstream again and knowing that the current political climate is volitle and the chances of ripping this community apart is great and what was once a cohesive community has now been trashed.

Yes there is a time and place for kind of political discourse, it should not be in the theatre pipe organ.

instead lets come and gather around the console for a day of peace and sing some happy tunes and forget the cares of the day.

Thoughts?
                KC9UDX said: I can't even imagine why you'd bring this up if it isn't happening. Unless, you're deliberately baiting someone. If not, you should know where the tuning knob is; else it's probably a bad idea to turn the radio on.
                I echo KC9UDX's sentiment. I got the same feeling.

What you said does not make sense Ben Madison. You said
                I feel as time marches by theatre pipe organ are faced with the possibility of going mainstream again and knowing that the current political climate is volitle and the chances of ripping this community apart is great and what was once a cohesive community has now been trashed.
                You claim worry over something that has not happened.

Even if so, not being prepared will reenact what happened in the photo below.

And then you make a generalization that a "once cohesive community now has been trashed" is ridiculous.

Do you know what the photo below is about?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford-Island-Pearl-Harbor-Attack-20.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	714367

Comment

Originally posted by Goff View Post
                  All forums have politics sanctions because it is either off-topic or just banned. Either the forum owners don't want to deal with it or are worried their livelihoods will be financially impacted for hosting a truth forum. It is blackmail nonetheless.
                  I tend to bristle at generalizations such as this. The fact is that people participate in topic based Forums to discuss that topic, not politics, unless of course the topic is politics. To assume that forum owners are either too lazy or financially invested to permit cult followers and conspiracy theorists to spew their off-topic rhetoric is ridiculous. The term blackmail in this context is a non-sequitur.
                  -Admin

Allen 965
                  Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
                    I tend to bristle at generalizations such as this. The fact is that people participate in topic based Forums to discuss that topic, not politics, unless of course the topic is politics. To assume that forum owners are either too lazy or financially invested to permit cult followers and conspiracy theorists to spew their off-topic rhetoric is ridiculous. The term blackmail in this context is a non-sequitur.
                    The term "blackmail" was not against forum owners but the PTB who are indeed trying to control the narrative. Had the inference of actor Sasha Baron Cohen's very recent speech at the ADL been understood then there is no non-sequitur but rather a misunderstanding of the intent and its real implications.

" Lazy" wasn't the word in mind, more of an understood hesitation to moderate a sticky subject that is outside the natural topic of the forum.

Perhaps it was not made clear enough. Some feathers were unintentionally ruffled!

The term "conspiracy theorists" is precisely the thought control that was concocted by the CIA when they did to #35.

"Conspiracy fact" is the word that many should tune into.

It appears that the OP got what he wanted after all.

The name of the subject is "politics" after-all isn't it?

This thread should've been deleted or moved to the other rooms that this type of discussion is allowed rather than assume that a post is all "rhetoric" and "ridiculous."

It makes some not want to post anything.

Consider that all members of this and other forums, add information to the sum total of the forum's database that cost time and money to glean to the poster, with insights that each contributes.

This is done free of charge to the forum which in the end, the database and all the information belongs to the owners of the forum.

Look at it as if thousands of farmers toil someone's land and all the produce goes to the one who owns the land.

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Goff View Post

It makes some not want to post anything.

Consider that all members of this and other forums, add information to the sum total of the forum's database that cost time and money to glean to the poster, with insights that each contributes.

This is done free of charge to the forum which in the end, the database and all the information belongs to the owners of the forum.

Look at it as if thousands of farmers toil someone's land and all the produce goes to the one who owns the land.

Thank you!
                      People do not participate in Forums because they are compelled to. They participate because they perceive a benefit to themselves and others. That is the reason I started this Forum 16 years ago. I'd have been better off financially if I had spent the time I've put into this Forum over the years working a minimum wage job instead. The idea that Forum owners, such as myself, sit back and rake in the spoils of others efforts is naive and insulting to me.

This is a free Forum. Its content is publicly viewable without charge or membership. If you feel you are being exploited by participating here, that is easily remedied.
                      -Admin

Allen 965
                      Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Working...
                      X