Missing the Christmas theme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing the Christmas theme

Am I too early, eager or Christmassy to miss the customary Forum Christmas theme?
    Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

perhaps the forum celebrates Advent by not decorating yet for Christmas?
    Home Organ: VPO Home-Brewed from a former Klann pipe organ console

Comment

The Christmas theme of old is not compatible with this version of the Forum software, and I've not found a substitute. I'm hoping I can create one before Santa arrives, but no promises.
      -Admin

Allen 965
      Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
      Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
      Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

• Organfella
        Organfella commented
        Editing a comment
        I kind of suspected as much. Thanks for the effort but if it does not work, well, have a blessed Christmas anyway.
        Nico

On the other hand, there is nothing to prevent a thread of people's favorite Christmas music for the organ.

One of my favorites is Norman Dello Joio's piece based on "In Dulci Jubilo" from his Diversions: No. 5 Giga. It makes a wonderful Christmas postlude. It was originally published in 1975 as Diversions, a set of five pieces for piano (Publ. E.B. Marks). In the same year, E.B. Marks published an organ transcription under the title Five Lyric Pieces for the Young Organist. The Giga movement is also published in the Christmas volume of the Augsburg Organ Library under the title In Dulci Jubilo.

While I could not find a recording of this piece played on the organ, I did find the piano performance by Tanya Stambuk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KObcWbsIbsA

Enjoy.
      Bill

My home organ: Content M5800 as a midi controller for Hauptwerk

Comment

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        I've always been partial to some of Paul Manz's pieces from his Ten Chorale Improvisations. There are ten volumes, totaling 100 pieces, but 2 of the volumes are dedicated to Christmas/Advent music.

Michael

• Organfella
        Organfella commented
        Editing a comment
        Lovely piece - and lovely lady. Thanks for the link.
        Nico

This is what we do for this Christmas. Very ambitious. More than 20 pieces of music to perform. I am not the organist though. I am the singer in this choir.

Comment

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        So, is Handel now spelled Haendel? Goodness, I can't keep up!

Michael

• Admin
        Admin commented
        Editing a comment
        Not the first time I've seen this spelling of Händel. No doubt you know the German umlaut is often anglicized with a vowel pair to suggest the German pronunciation.

Here's interesting take on spelling George's, or is it Georg's, last name.
        http://blog.counterpointspublishing....elling-handel/

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting article, Admin. I write program notes for one of the performing organizations, in which I participate. For me, it's kinda fun to write some detailed notes only a musician could appreciate or pronounce, then watch our announcer (a State official) attempt to pronounce them. Sometimes, it's payback, though, if he cannot make it and I have to do the announcements.

That said, I always try to be historically accurate, but not to the point of being pretentious. Sometimes I wonder if people don't spell things certain ways as a form of professionally snobbery, rather than historical accuracy.

Michael
    Working...
    X