This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cell phones and electronic organs

The FCC does control transmitting devices, and a "blocker" that transmits a signal strong enough to block local cell phone reception would surely exceed the limits for unlicensed operation. Such violation would subject the owner of $25000 per day fine and a year in jail, although the usual fine is more like $8000 for first time INTENTIONAL interference. Audio equipment should not receive signals from cell phones if design is decent.

Comment

Re interference from a base station, first of all, it's digital so there would be only clicks and tones. No audio. Usually the base station installer/operator would do a survey and shield or replace any equipment that is susceptable. Certainly that should be in the contract. The extra income from the base station lease wouldbenefit the church.</P>

Most audio equipment has susceptability to some degree and almost any radio or amplifier will respond to a cellphone placed next to it. This interference can usually be controlled with proper design and shielded cables for low level audio.</P>

The main problem is the audible ringer.Perhaps a new church rule requiring a 20 dollar donation for any cellphone ringing during a service. Control the problem and raise a little money too.</P>

Maybe requiring all church members come naked to eleminate the problem. Owww, that pew is so cold. Maybe heated pews. Any ideas here?</P>

Comment

[quote user="al"]

Maybe requiring all church members come naked to eleminate the problem. Owww, that pew is so cold. Maybe heated pews. Any ideas here?</p>

[/quote]</p>

Heated pews! </p>

I have come across underfloor heating in a Church and very nice it was too with slate tiles.
        </p>
        1971 Allen Organ TC-3S (#42904) w/sequential capture system.
        Speakers: x1 Model 100 Gyro, x1 Model 105 & x3 Model 108.

Comment

I was not aware that our FCC regulated audio equipment except to the extent that it might be transmitting.
          Probably some US-EU mixup there. To be able to sell equipment in europe you have to pass some susceptablility tests where the resistance of your equipment against interference is tested. There are very likely similar FCC guidelines. On the other hand you do have to control emmisions for FCC and doing that often controls susceptability as well.

But for audio a lot of the problems comes from designers not limiting any bandwidth because it looks good on specs. And serious input rejection costs money.

Comment

I just read through this entire thread (I've been absent from the Forum for a few weeks), and realized that I have NEVER heard any of the usual cell phone interference at my church (I'm referring to the the electronic staccato noise; we have had a few instances of cell phones ringing, however). That fact does raise a question: are some digital organ manufacturers better than others at protecting their products (and their users' ears) from such interference?</p>

THANKS!</p>

Comment

The interference, when it happens, is likely to be received in the analog section of the organ and NOT the digital section.</P>

A lot of electronic stuff is NOT well protected from interference.</P>

Comment

So the AFB interference scene in This is Spinal Tap could be replicated in a church?

Comment

I have no idea whaat AFB is and have not seen that Spinal Tap thing...</P>

The cell phones try to communicate to a tower and ping the towers to say they are in range... their transmitter is turned on for these pings and self-rectification in high gain audio amp section can cause interference.</P>

Comment

Working...
                  X