Lockdown!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lockdown!

Our State President announced last night that this country will be on lock down from midnight on Thursday 26th through April 16th to limit the spread of that much discussed virus. So its stay at home and relax for the next three weeks. Essential services and food stores will however be open, so while all other movements are restricted we will be able to buy food and medicines.
    Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Probably going to be in about the same situation here very soon. The larger cities and states in the US with the most cases are locked down already. And there's nowhere to go anyway -- nearly everything is closed except grocery stores. Restaurants only sell take away food. Nearly all churches are closed. One church that defied the governor and met anyway now has around 30 members testing positive and some of them are hospitalized.

Stay safe and try to enjoy the break!
    John
    ----------
    *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

I've been spending so much time in the past with E-organs, many of my home projects languished. Our shop is in a school building which is now off limits. So, time to fix up the abode!
      However, there is that that Rodgers 321 that was supposed to be only temporarily in my garage to be fixed up. So if I really feel the need....!
      Can't play an note but love all things "organ" Responsible for 2/10 Wurli pipe organ, Allen 3160(wife's), Allen LL324, Allen GW319EX, ADC4600, many others. E-organ shop to fund free organ lessons for kids.

Comment

Ours started Sunday night, although I've been home working tele for two and a half weeks now. My VPO project is getting much love. The organ is playable, as I posted, but there is much work still to do before it is finished - stop actions, pistons, swell shoes and my newly acquired toe-studs. Not to mention actually practicing organ!

Comment

It will be difficult to come up with an excuse not to practice.
          Hammond RT-3, Estey circa 1903, Baldwin Acrosonic spinet piano, Fender Rhodes Mark I 73 stage piano.

Comment

I have nothing but a little 61 key Keyboard at home to practice. So probably no pedals for a long time for now.
            But I probably can use this time to read some music theory textbook and do some ear training (which I stopped doing for a few months)

Comment

• ChristopherDB113
              ChristopherDB113 commented
              Editing a comment
              If I remember correctly, you are a sub organist at a church. I assume they are not holding services right now. Is there a chance they would let you in for some building time? I'd think they could be extremely flexible on hours with the sanctuary not in use.

• myorgan
              myorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              What Christopher said^^^^. However, be sure to offer to wipe down the keyboard and stops afterward–anywhere you touch–or wear surgical gloves.

Michael

• Sarah Weizhen
              Sarah Weizhen commented
              Editing a comment
              ChristopherDB113 that is a kind of complicated situation. There is a possibility I can do it, and I will try, but I don't put much hope in it, right here the lock down is quite strict and I would understand that the pastor do not want to deal with any responsibility.

I have a mover engaged to come tomorrow morning to move an organ from my shop to the house so I'll have something to practice on during all this. With everything that's going on, I was afraid the mover might have to cancel, but I got an email from him today confirming our appointment, along with a link to an article about how moving companies are considered "essential providers" and are not being closed down, even in those states where a lockdown is in effect. In the worst of times, people sometimes have to move, for many reasons.
            John
            ----------
            *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

I suspect strongly that the current lock-downs are likely to be extended beyond the stated times. We have the army already deployed and on the streets to assist law enforcement agencies in ensuring strict adherence to the rules. One good thing that is evident is that it will force minimum contact between people, which is the essence of the idea. Despite the assurances given by the President that there will be no shortages of essential items, panic buying seems to continue and long queues are evident, especially at large grocery stores. Meanwhile, we are getting ready for a relaxing time at home.
              Nico
              "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
                I have a mover engaged to come tomorrow morning to move an organ from my shop to the house so I'll have something to practice on during all this. With everything that's going on, I was afraid the mover might have to cancel, but I got an email from him today confirming our appointment, along with a link to an article about how moving companies are considered "essential providers" and are not being closed down, even in those states where a lockdown is in effect. In the worst of times, people sometimes have to move, for many reasons.
                Yes, My MIL is moving tomorrow from NYC to CT and we were afraid the movers would have to cancel but it is still on. The three other kids were all coming up to help and now can't, so my husband and I are driving her. Am going to try to avoid service stops if possible. Fun times.

Comment

• myorgan
                  myorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Rest areas are probably closed in CT, unless I miss my guess. When there weren't ANY restrictions 2 years ago in August, they only had their rest areas open from 8:00-4:00. Porta-potties were the order of the day (or night).

Michael

• lizny
                  lizny commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We only had to stop on the way home - it was open and serving food, but nearly deserted. Washed up and no need to touch anything with my hands to leave after, so no worries there.

Good morning.
                The situation in Italy and in Europe has deteriorated a lot. The official data are very clear: covid19 is not a trivial influence but can be much more dangerous and more contagious. People did not realize the danger of the infection until the government followed the drastic decision to close all the shops and all the factories, with the exception of those that guarantee essential services (food, pharmacies, post offices, etc.).
                Here in Italy we are fortunate that the best health services are offered to all people, regardless of their money or insurance. Nevertheless, covid19 has killed many people.

If I can give some advice: don't wait for the government to impose the quarantine. Go out as little as possible. I currently only go out once a week to buy food and detergents. Always use gloves and masks when going out, and also hand sanitizers. And above all, stay closed in the house, go out as little as possible and when you go out, stay away from other people, and avoid touching common objects (doors, handles of public offices, etc.). Use a disposable tissue when touching a handle.
                The quarantine will unfortunately last much longer than a few weeks, at least two months are expected. We must resign ourselves to the fact that April 16 will not be a date on which life will return to normal.
                Here in Italy, light restrictions were initially applied as now in America, and the infections had increased. Only now with very heavy restrictions (the closure of all factories and a fine of 4000 euros for those who leave the house without a justifiable reason) are the infections decreasing.

I repeat: stay home, do not go out for any reason. If possible, buy the basic necessities only once a week.

Comment

Sound advice from someone there in the midst of the most severe outbreak and effects of this pandemic. Thank you. Our prayers are with you and your nation. We are fortunate to be able to learn something from your sad experiences. May God prevent this extreme situation from worsening. In our country where many people live in outlying areas contact with other people is somewhat reduced but city dwellers are really hard pushed at the thought of sitting inside for at least three weeks. Perhaps a small ray of light about all this is that families may have the opportunity to learn to communicate again on a personal level. This facility has suffered worldwide due to technological advancement and gadgets that make "communication" possible without words.
                  Nico

Comment

Thank you Organfella.
                    With the data we have available today in Italy, unfortunately it is now established that the virus also propagates with the winds, so even the most isolated areas are at risk. This virus has a much greater contagiousness than the flu. And above all, it seems that it has a huge mortality in people over 50.

Please, avoid the risks, stay home. Postpone any unnecessary activities, and if work is still permitted, you ask for a vacation period if possible, so as not to leave the house. When you go out, even just in the garden, or to open the mailbox, always use a mask and gloves, and disinfect everything with alcohol.

Comment

I would add, wash your face as well as hands, after returning inside from errands.

Comment

The virus does not deactivate on contact with water and soap. It is best to wash your hands with denatured alcohol, which kills the virus in a very short time. These are the guidelines that have been recommended by a team of virologists in Italy.

Comment

• ahlborn
                          ahlborn commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Alcohol-based disinfectants are intended to disinfect hands when we have left the house and touched potentially contaminated objects. Of course this can cause undesirable effects on the skin (mainly dry skin), but currently the danger of this virus is higher than the side effects of the disinfectant. Of course, if we stay indoors, we can wash hands with soap and water.

• lizny
                          lizny commented
                          Editing a comment
                          CDC guidance is soap and water is better for removing the virus, and alcohol based hand sanitizer is for when soap and water aren't available. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...revention.html

There are numerous articles around about how soap works to kill coronavirus, by destroying the lipid coating

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/h...ing-germs.html

• ahlborn
                          ahlborn commented
                          Editing a comment
                          In Italy we prefer to scrupulously comply with the directives issued by the Italian medical commission, which recommends the use of alcohol to disinfect hands, when they have touched potentially infected objects.

We have survived the first day of the nationwide lock-down and are now well into day two. Most people adhered to the regulations and stayed at home. Limited travel is allowed to buy food and necessities but some have actually ignored this requirement. Many have flocked to supermarkets and food stores that are allowed to be open and totally ignored the keeping of safe distance while blatantly disregarding their own safety and that of others. Only a precious few were seen to be wearing face masks. This is a very sad state of affairs and worrying to most. The much promised army presence was nowhere to be seen in these areas and soldiers were brilliantly absent. Here and there a policeman was visible but even that had no effect and throngs crowded shops like it was the last shopping day on earth - sadly for some it may be...!

Congestion at borders caused a stand still of road traffic for more than 24 hours, as some legal and illegal immigrants tried to get back to their respective countries in the adjoining countries and countries further to the north. The mostly abiding citizens are concerned about this apparent apathetic and sometimes downright obstinate refusal to conform with measures aimed at curbing the spread of the virus. It is conceivable that the lock down period of 21 days may well have to be extended because of this. In an environment where crime is rampant and lawlessness is at the order of the day, it may be difficult if not impossible to contain. Even at this critical time there are those who inflate prices of emergency items to unthinkable levels. Although there are measures in place to report and punish those who resort to this kind of extortion, the poor and innocent will still suffer due to lack of income for at least a month.

Then there are the other aspects involving parties looking to gain some political ground with "measures" and "actions" and "promises" but to mention those would be more appropriate for the Grease Pit.

Enough ranting.

Our prayers are with those who have in any way been affected by this pandemic. May God continue to guide and protect everyone in these difficult times.

Nico

Comment

Working...
                        X