No announcement yet.

Lockdown!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NYC has been in shelter in place for a week now. Hard to tell if it is working but with 14 days possible incubation it is too early to say. For reference, 32,308 cases this evening works out to about 38 cases per 10K of population. That is only 2 days behind Lombardy. We were 4 days behind a couple days ago.

Keep watch, dear Lord, with those who work, or watch, or weep this night, and give thine angels charge over those who sleep. Tend the sick, Lord Christ; give rest to the weary, bless the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted, shield the joyous; and all for thy love’s sake.
    Home Organ: VPO Home-Brewed from a former Klann pipe organ console

Comment

I think organ playing is an "essential service". Right? I still go to my church and play the organ (at 10 P.M.). I hope and pray this pandemic ends soon for everybody's safety and so I can get back to playing for Masses.
      “I play the notes as they are written (well, I try), but it is God who makes the music.” - Johann Sebastian Bach
      Organs I Play:
      - Allen 2100(T); 1951 M.P. Moller, 3 manual, 56 stop, 60 ranks, (Opus 8152); and 1965 Balcom and Vaughan 3 manual, 34 stops, 25 ranks (Opus 690)

Comment

• Piperdane
        Piperdane commented
        Editing a comment
        Playing the organ is my gyroscope ... my church is streaming services so I have to still go and practice and show up to play the two (of our normal 4) services as if everyone was there. The sanctuary is empty, just like when I practice so it's not really a problem. Our state governor has issued a stay in place order ... it applies to everything except groceries, medical, and playing golf. For the church salaried staff there are no restrictions - it's only the 5 of us in the church for the broadcasts.

• jbird604
        jbird604 commented
        Editing a comment
        Playing golf? Really?

• Philip Powell
        Philip Powell commented
        Editing a comment
        My church is also streaming Masses on YouTube so I have to go to my church at 9 PM to practice for all the Holy Week Masses that I'm playing. My pastor asked me to keep off all the lights too so I feel super awesome up in choir loft blasting hymns!

Originally posted by Philip Powell View Post
      I think organ playing is an "essential service". Right? I still go to my church and play the organ (at 10 P.M.).
      One bright spot during this challenging time is that most of us have more time to play the organ. When I was an active church musician I did not have much time to learn major organ works. One of the things I am enjoying in retirement is working on pieces from my "bucket list."

In a recent email I received from François Ratté(the man behind Hauptwerk Consultant), he said that many of his clients are requesting new HW sample sets because they have more time to play now.

It is nice to have something to celebrate.

Bill

My home organ: Content M5800 as a midi controller for Hauptwerk

Comment

I also find that I'm practicing more, and my fingers are recovering some dexterity. It is good to have something about this lockdown we can celebrate!

Someone posted on a Facebook church music group: "Whenever choirs get back together again, the singing is going to be from a much deeper place than before. I can’t wait."
        John
        ----------
        *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

• myorgan
          myorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          I've started practicing as well, but I've found the high doses of statin medications they put me on after the operation are making my finger joints stiff and not very dexterous. I hope it's not a permanent thing, but the doctors don't seem to care–take high doses (even though they fixed the bypass), and do it for life. Grrrrr. No consideration of my music endeavors and the requirement to use my hands without pain.

Michael

Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
        I also find that I'm practicing more, and my fingers are recovering some dexterity. It is good to have something about this lockdown we can celebrate!

Someone posted on a Facebook church music group: "Whenever choirs get back together again, the singing is going to be from a much deeper place than before. I can’t wait."
        I'm sad not having lessons, worried I'm going to develop all kinds of terrible habits, but having plenty of practice time is lovely. That is so true about the choir - they will sing with all the feels
        Home Organ: VPO Home-Brewed from a former Klann pipe organ console

Comment

Liz, you might want to check out Vidas Pinkevicius' online video organ instruction Total Organist. Here is the link:

https://www.organduo.lt/total-organist.html

He has a video where he describes the program. He has many different lessons which cover many aspects of instruction (ear training, improvisation, transposition, as well as instruction on individual pieces which are graded by level.

Bill

My home organ: Content M5800 as a midi controller for Hauptwerk

Comment

Hi folks!
            After nearly seven weeks of lock down certain industries and shops have been allowed to re open, albeit with strict limitations to only "necessity" items). Some shops of course were open all the time but in a heavily restricted manner. The lock down rules have been largely obeyed by many but there were some that not only blatantly ignored all regulations and carried on as normal.
            We have moved down from level 5 (total lock down) to level 4 (partial lock down) with much confusion as to who may or may not do or sell or what. In some industries it has been necessary to resort to the high courts to get permission to carry on some businesses that are allowed under level 4. This indicates a heavy political influence while crime is escalating under the "we are hungry" banner. Liquor and cigarettes are only two of the vices that are prohibited but sales go on on the black market and house-breakings are frequent. Other more serious crimes such as cash heists are also in daily occurrence despite road travel restrictions.
            Our country rates rather low on the infection scale compared to other less fortunate countries but the restrictions are in some cases more severe than in those worse affected countries. Sooner rather than later, something drastic needs to happen to ease the situation.
            Hope other countries are more fortunate at this time.
            Nico
            "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

• tbeck
              tbeck commented
              Editing a comment
              "Our country rates rather low on the infection scale compared to other less fortunate countries but the restrictions are in some cases more severe than in those worse affected countries."

See any correlation there?

This thread is interesting, looking back at it nearly 2 months down the road.

In my State, tattoo parlors, hair salons, and restaurants are allowed to open, but they can arrest pastors for having church. "Non-violent" prisoners have been released from the prisons/jails–presumably to make room for the church people, even though masks, no-contact, and distances are observed in church. Anyone see something wrong with this picture?

Police aren't supposed to enforce "petty crimes" (like speeding or petty theft) so they can maintain social distancing. Meanwhile, the homeless people are dying under bridges in groups. Should I mention a church opened a spare shelter for the homeless?

Michael
            Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
            • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
            • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
            • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Hope you all are well,two months this week since we performed for any in person audiences.Something about internet just doesn't have the immediate connection.So...

We garden,walk dogs(one is a surgeons in 'quarantine' with us),keep our distance and do our best to follow the protocols, as outlined by our provincial public health authority.
              Here in Vancouver we are doing better than many battling this virus globally. I quote my old band leader Long John Baldry ,"It Ain't Easy". Must be done though.
              We try and limit our exposure to each other (and the media),go about our lives as if any of us could be down with it at anytime.Our hands have never been so clean,nor have the floors in our residence. Even the dogs get a foot wash.All any of us can do is 'our best'.That will be more difficult for many, and we pray for those in harms way.
              The recent Nova Scotia killings,NATO CAF heli crash,have made the airliner shot down in Tehran a distant memory.No country is immune to disease or violence or bad luck.
              Wishing the best to my friends,from Nashville to Barcelona,Leipzig to Hong Kong,London to Seattle.Music is a common healer,the one thing we all love and cherish besides each other.
              A good story is always, 'Come From Away'.We are at our best together.

See the Covid19 statistics of our neighbors to the south,in Washington state as of a few hours ago?
              They have 1.5 times the population of BC,and are wrestling the beast as best they can,with great loss of life I'm afraid.We pray for them,and cherish our friendship!
              70 times greater infection rate there,with the mortality rate to match.Amazon,Microsoft,Boeing,this virus doesn't care! Scientific enough to generate wealth,so next some health we hope?
              We may be known for less scientific things, but the red cedar component of the best quality N95 mask originates right here in BC.
              Won't be going to Costco in Bellingham any time soon I'm afraid.Would love to,at this time not going to happen for very good reasons though.
              Opening up too early anyone listening to science knows; is a mistake.People who choose to live in a bubble where it's 1953 all over again are in for a rude awakening.
              The economy of Bellingham and Whatcom county is very 'Canuck' dependant, and my heart goes out to our friends over there.

A heartfelt thanks to all the truckers heading up here on the I5,the food is getting through! Grateful there even IS a lineup to get food,we should be so lucky!
              Thank the transportation authorities for making food trucks and 'relief' stops available to an essential service.Our garden isn't ready for six weeks minimum.
              Until autonomous 18 wheelers roll,washrooms are still on the 'go' LOL. California's single largest export market is Canada,and accounts for 12% of the state GDP.
              Having recently been forced to retire for an operation from my delivery job,I can tell you how lucky I am to be almost completely rehabbed and not still waiting like so many in limbo!

Many of the worst run business on my routes were pension fund 'Realty' retirement holdings.Minimum wage jobs held down by overworked stressed out people twenty years my junior.
              Big splashy ads to draw in unsuspecting customers,with slick presentation centers.For profit 'end of life' existence is not to be trusted under any circumstances.
              Children put their loved ones in there hoping the best.I shake my head at the deplorable conditions of the homes in general and will make 'other arrangements' when necessary.
              From a delivery perspective expensive private ones fare no better than the rest,waste of hard earned money and just another level of 'for profit' greed was my experience.
              The old timers(or whoever is paying) in Amica and Chartwell are really getting *crewed, in my opinion.Won't be gettin' a dime from me!
              The less affluent living in public facilities actually get a better deal here than those who earned more money and live at the mercy of a realty holdings pension fund.
              Faces don't lie,and I can certainly read the mood,as an entertainer that's what we do!
              I've seen the public and private both operate as a 'delivery person',and lived the 'corporate' stare down of the lowly schlepp. More often from 'big business' than the non profits.
              So,who are now the heroes in this mess? The bottom wage earners enable continued for profit greed though,and statistically have lost the most too.Will society fix that? It's up to us all.
              Always got a smile from the public run facilities.The non-profits should be very proud of their contribution to public 'wellness'!

Wish you all good health and a safe happy environment! If you have a parent in long term care,may good health follow you and your loved ones,I pray for you all.

Still working on the mall organ coffee table book for cork sniffers

Comment

Our government announced this week that 19000 convicts will be released to "ease the congestion in prisons and curb the spread of the virus in correctional facilities"! Meanwhile some street vendors trying to make a living by selling spices and handcraft have been arrested ... Go figure...
                Something smells pretty bad here!

Nico
                "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

• Sweet Pete
                  Sweet Pete commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The virus makes no exceptions.Meat packers,prisons,retirement homes,anywhere people congregate.Unfair new reality.
                  Add to that people feeling the despair of separation and uncertainty; the implications are frightening.
                  The loss of Johnny Clegg last year was really tough for the music world and his many fans.We attended his last five appearances here.
                  Graciously conversing with me and the wife too! Truly amazing performer and person.
                  My heart goes out to you Nico and your countrymen. Osee-ala!

Thanks Pete. I remember years ago when I was attempting to study economics there was a cliche which was the professor's favorite: "When America sneezes, the rest of the world catches pneumonia". The time for our pneumonia has come because America has sneezed... Trouble remains that some people in high places are trying to get political mileage out of the disaster - this is immoral to my way of thinking. Many of the poorest of the poor, as well as others will loose their lives because of the effects of the lock down, and not from catching the virus either!

Johnny Clegg was a true artist and gentleman - by the way, he was affectionately known as "the white Zulu" Very talented fellow and a sad loss when he passed. Fortunately there are a few more that are like him.

Nico

Comment

Upheaval and revolt are consequences of broken supply chains.Again our neighbors squirm to pay their financial obligations.Much like the tax revolt of 1775 they now are shirking their obligations to China and others."It's all about me".The History Channel series Washington downplays the underlying reasons for the war,which everyone outside the US knows was $.
                  Assigning blame is futile,get over it.Let's get this done together.We didn't 'need' them in the past,they barged in to make money and that's it!
                  Most likely scenario is a replay of 1918,1945,etc were;after reluctantly dragging their heels(1914-1917/1939/1942) playing 'isolationist' ,jump in to 'save the day' Hollywood style.
                  Divide and conquer,simple formula around for millenia."Poor people,over here" "Rich people over there"....."we'll take the glory,money etc.After all,we have the most guns."
                  Now that republicanism has brought so many layers of government they can't seem to manage to a grinding halt,I hope they can tough out the long road back to health and respectability.
                  They don't listen well though,and will have ongoing issues by opening/easing restrictions too soon.You think big business cares? Bailing out airlines? Same old BS from down there.

I just looked at life expectancy and Canada is doing just fine thanks.Certainly not a poor country.And most certainly managing the pandemic much better than our neighbors.
                  Still working on the mall organ coffee table book for cork sniffers

Comment

• Sweet Pete
                    Sweet Pete commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey USA. 100.000 fatalities ? Here's some facts. British Columbia has less death and infection than anywhere in the western hemisphere!
                    Also the only jurisdiction in North America with an NDP government that includes balance of power held by the Greens!
                    No leadership,no plan,it's all about the money. I've had the same head of state my whole life,and being number one in Olympic Hockey is way more fun than being number one in denial and stupidity!
                    So many levels of government in the USA to wade through,South Korea had EXACTLY the same situation three months ago.
                    How is that considered freedom I ask you? Who cares,at least we'll be around to sort it out(we hope).
                    Today over 150 new cases in Washington State,here in BC? Let's just say the border should stay closed.

We have been told by our president that the lock down status will be scaled down to level 3 from June 1. This will mean more businesses can open, schools can re open on a phased schedule and the curfew is lifted, among others. It comes as a small relief as the main damage has already been done to the economy. People are generally confused as the regulations that are announced verbally in the media often differs considerably from the implementation thereof. Main issue remains the criminalization of normally law abiding citizens, being arrested, locked up and charged criminally for not wearing a face mask, gathering too close to others, more than one passenger in a vehicle or trying to make ends meet by selling spices in public places, and some minor issues like that. The effect is that such a person gets a criminal record and all this while real criminals are being released in their thousands from overcrowded prisons to "minimize the spread of the virus". To me this sounds pretty much like bolting horses behind the cart, as we say more descriptively, "ass to front".
                  Then there is the non implementation of lock down rules in certain areas - and of course the erstwhile "less privileged" now lounging in massive state provided accommodation and being fed daily from food parcels provided but confiscated from certain selected donors ..... Politics and other less acceptable and palatable practices rule supreme!
                  Nico

Comment

• tbeck
                    tbeck commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Deleted this on second thought
                    Last edited by tbeck; 05-28-2020, 06:08 AM. Reason: Decided not to wade into this discussion

• myorgan
                    myorgan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Prisoners in our State applied for–and received unemployment benefits. Fortunately, that was ended after a couple months.

Michael

• Sweet Pete
                    Sweet Pete commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Americans are all prisoners.Carpetbaggers that now have the 'revolution' blowing up in their white racist faces!
                    "Greatest military on earth" Yeah,they will need them to look after their own people,let alone 'defend democracy'.
                    "Greatest democracy on earth" ********! "We're gonna party like it's 1859".Did you see the 'band picture' that honky tried to stage at the church?
                    Morally bankrupt,so full of itself and it's flag waiving.Trudeau's 'black face' shows systemic troubles here too,it's an ugly world we live in.
                    The last band picture I'm in has three blacks and four whites all smiling for the lens.And my extended family is indigenous Metis Cree!
                    The Unazi States are the new 'reich'! Always trying to change the narrative to suit their pocketbooks.1775 was about stealing money,PERIOD!
                    1807 was when Britain stopped slave trading.1833 they abolished slavery.No wonder blacks fled to Canada in 1834 from the Unazi States.
                    By 1860 the cotton gin put many 'yankees' out of work.This created a labour surplus.
                    Then the fight was really over who would 'control' the labor market.Disguised as a civil war.One they never emerged from or ever recovered from.
                    They just keep brushing the racism off and 'kicking the can' down the friggin road.

OK, so we moved down to alert level 3 and we had our first actual church service live yesterday. Everyone was wearing a mask, had to undergo temperature checks and sanitizing rituals. But we had our service! And what a beautifully fulfilling experience that was! After nine weeks of deprivation we finally got together again.
                  The marring thought of course that is still in the back of our heads is that we are being watched by the powers that be - big brother sitting in his lofty seat and ready to pull the strings that will knock us back to alert level 5 should we put a foot out of place. But one can worship with a mask on so we are happy!
                  Nico

Comment

It has been some time since this thread was active, even though the world is still trying to get to grips with what has been happening, after some 150-odd days of lock-down. I thought it may be interesting to hear what some of my friends here have to say about their experiences and thoughts on the event. The intention is not to start some new blog or newspaper article about it, just simple, real time updates might be interesting.

In our country the corruption pandemic has proliferated much more than the virus. The allocation of state tenders to cadres for the procuring and distribution of protection equipment has not only reared its ugly head, but also its ugly body. Some elites have become millionnaires overnight while health workers and other public workers are dying after exposure and contracting the virus because of inadequate protection. Schools are being kept closed (for the most part) citing inadequate personal protection equipment - some of these have been found dumped by the roadside or floating down rivers. The same with material containing tests that have been done and in transit to laboratories for analysis.

Many businesses have closed down and many more persons have lost their income from wages. Gold prices have soared to unknown levels as people are selling currency and buying into this commodity. Currency values have declined more than expected against those of major world currencies. Even down at alert level 2 most are trying to adhere to the restrictions and the precautionary measures laid down, but there are those who will persist in demonstrations, protests and the burning and looting of shops and other structures. All these without wearing face masks or retaining personal distance.

Now I am sure that this situation is perhaps true for most countries (except perhaps for the levels of corruption) and we are by no means unique when it comes to that but as said, it would be interesting to hear how others are experiencing this life-changing evil event.

Nico

Comment

Working...
                    X