shoe repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shoe repair

The suede bottom is separating slightly from one heel of my organ shoes. What kind of glue would be advisable to repair it?

Lizny,

Call Organmaster and ask. Otherwise you could contact a cobbler where you live. Surely, there's at least one in NY.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

• lizny
      lizny commented
      Editing a comment
      There are plenty in Manhattan near where I work, but I haven't been in the area in weeks and don't know when I will be again, plus nonessential businesses are all closed.
      Good plan to ask Organmaster though, don't know why it didn't occur to me.

Contact cement. I've used it many times to extend the life of my shoes. You need to carefully follow the directions for whatever brand you get, as each has their own recommended timing for how long to let the adhesive sit before pressing the pieces together. Just be careful not to get any adhesive on parts of the sole that touch the pedals.

There are videos on youtube detailing how to repair the soles of dance shoes. It will give you an idea of what is involved.

Comment

Contact cement or "Shoe Goop", that's the stuff runners use to repair their running shoes.

Comment

I have a pair of Altra walkers right beside my desk that I repaired with Shoe Goo after leaving them in the super-heated car caused them to come apart. Altra recommended the stuff. It's not messy, but needs to be clamped for a couple of days in order to set well.
        -- I'm Lamar -- 1967 Allen TC-4 Classic, 1899 Kimball mirrored high top
        -- Rodgers W5000, Roland RD300nx, Juno DS-61/88 - 1975 Conn 643 Theater - 1959 Hammond M3
        -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

If it's just slightly off in a small area, then, I guess super glue would do the work??

Comment

• quantum
            quantum commented
            Editing a comment
            The problem with cyanoacrylate is that it dries rigid, and can crack when flexed. Organ shoes are for the most part flexible, and a flexible adhesive like contact cement will allow for that. In a pinch, it could work for parts like the heel where there is little to no flex.

In my experience, if you needed to revisit a repair spot it is much easier to remove old contact cement than cyanoacrylate from suede. There are parts of my own shoes that tend to get a lot more wear than others, and these have needed multiple repairs over time.

• Sarah Weizhen
            Sarah Weizhen commented
            Editing a comment
            quantum thank you so much for your information. It's extra knowledge for me now!

And I am kind curious about one thing,
          I have seen some organist, most of whom are actually very experienced, wearing a pair of badly worn out or even damaged old organ shoes when they are playing.
          The suede were pretty obviously coming off from the bottom of their shoes, like probably one third or half of the suede is not attached to the shoes anymore.

I always wonder, why don't they just get a pair of new shoes?? Or at least fix the suede? It looks like they have been wearing that pair of shoes for 10 years... Don't they deserve to have another pair?

Seriously, wouldn't that affect their playing? It feels like walking with a pair of shoes which bottoms are coming off!

Or is it actually a tradition among experienced organist that old damaged organ shoes actually shows that you are kind of better in some ways? Or does it actually feels better to play wearing an old pair of shoes?

Comment

• myorgan
            myorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Sports players sometimes wear the same socks for a game. Perhaps the organist thinks those organ shoes are just now "broken in," so why get another pair?

Michael

• Sarah Weizhen
            Sarah Weizhen commented
            Editing a comment
            myorgan hahahaha make sense!

Speaking for myself only - maybe some of us are just frugal ? Or Cheap ? LOL I do think that old worn-in ( not out ) uppers on organ shoes feel nicer to wear. The soles have to be in good shape to be functional obviously. I also subscribe to the older, kinda ratty looking, shoes are my "lucky" ones idea.

Someday I might invest in some "real" organ shoes like Organmasters, but I've never had a problem with what I use. I use slip on dress shoes, and roughen up the leather soles on the belt sander. That makes them grippy enough for me, and when they do get matted down I just sand them lightly again. During the course of a service I usually take my organ shoes off at least once, so I can wander around during the sermon. I don't want laces to deal with if I have to put them back on in a hurry. Every now and then a pastor will do a short sermon.
          Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Baldwin 626. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755.

Comment

Working...
          X