Score Readers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Score Readers

Periodically there have been discussions on this forum about score readers. I followed them with interest. Now that I have my setup, I thought I would share what hardware and software I am using and discuss briefly one of the features that I like to use. Let me begin by saying that I am at the beginning of the learning curve, but I will gladly share what little I know so far.

I currently have the following:

Reader: Onyx Boox Max 3
    Software: Mobile Sheets
    Page Turner: Still researching this, but I will explain what I am doing until I get something.

Reader I chose the Onyx Boox Max 3 because it is more like looking at a printed page than some other readers. It also has a larger screen, which I felt would be important for oversized scores. It goes a really long time on a charge, in fact, I don't think I have ever had less than 90 % charge even when using it for hours.

Software Mobile sheets gets really good reviews and I like that they offer a free version so you can try it before you purchase the pro version. The free version has some limitations, so I will be upgrading. However it has a very modest price. There is also a large user community that you can learn from on their forum.

Page Turner Eventually I would like to get a Blue Tooth page turner. I want something that will fit on the shelf of my pedal board, and, unfortunately, many of them are too large to fit there.

Until then, my hardware/software combination provides for page turns with a tap on the screen. Tap on the right to advance the score, tap on the left to go back a page. The software can be configured to handle repeats and more advanced jumps through a score, but I have not had a need to research that yet.

However, there are times when you don't have much time to tap the screen with your one of your hands. This is where having a foot pedal would be helpful. But I have recently found another way around this. Mobile Sheets has a Automatic Scrolling feature.

I used Gaston Bélier's Toccata to learn this feature. Here are the settings I used:

Scroll Behavior: Scroll Continuously to End
    Pause Duration: 5 seconds
    Scroll Speed: Slow
    Fixed Duration: 1.0 seconds
    Scroll Amount: 10 % of screen

Time Before Scrolling Starts 5 seconds
    Apply to: Current Song

I am not sure if all of the settings apply when you scroll continuously, I grayed out the settings that I think may not apply to this setting. I need to research this more.

One other setting that I adjusted on the Max 3 was the display mode. When I had it set to "Normal" there was an annoying amount of ghosting. That problem when away by putting it into "Speed" mode.

The good news is that this advanced the score at the correct speed for me to play without having to initiate any page turns.

Bill

My home organ: Content M5800 as a midi controller for Hauptwerk

I'm using MobileSheets too. It works really well. I'll have to try using the auto scroll feature. I ended up buying the windows version and using a touch screen that is large and has a high enough resolution to display two pages at once. I just wish I could use a stylus with it for annotations. I've been considering getting a couple refurbished 12" surface pros to use when I perform. The onyx looks awesome but it's a ways out of my current price range.
    Sam
    Home: Allen ADC-4500 Church: Allen MDS-5
    Files: Allen Tone Card (TC) Database, TC Info, TC Converter, TC Mixer, ADC TC SF2, and MOS TC SF2, ADC TC Cad/Rvt, MOS TC Cad/Rvt, Organ Database, Music Library, etc. PM for unlinked files.

Comment

• samibe
      samibe commented
      Editing a comment
      My mom (a pianist) uses ForScore on an iPad pro with the Pageflip Butterfly. She likes it but she finds ForScore a bit confusing and the Pageflip a bit sensitive.

• Leisesturm
      Leisesturm commented
      Editing a comment
      I am not sure my feet would be reliable for page turning either. I've wondered about some kind of mouth control. It would make me real nervous having some kind of scrolling of the score, based on hiccup free perfection, in a performance situation.

• samibe
      samibe commented
      Editing a comment
      So far the easiest for me has been a touch screen. (It's a lot easier to swipe quickly and only turn one page rather than trying to turn a page and not being able to get two pages separated.) I imagine a having a bluetooth pedal would give you the option for that once-in-a while time your hands are too busy but you happen to have a foot free.

Then there is Gvido. This looks like a premiere application, then again at $1600 USD it should be! It is on sale until the end of the month for "only" $1300 USD. Of course the foot pedal is $300 extra. (And I was hoping I could get a pedal for less than $80 for my set up.)

So here here is what it costs:
    Gvido dual screen reader $ 1300 (normally $1600)
    Blue Tooth page turner $ 300
    Leather case $ 300
    Stylus pen $ 50
    Yours for only $ 1950 (normally $ 2250)

These toys aren't cheap. Here is a link for those with a few extra shekels to spend: https://www.gvidomusic.com/
    Bill

Comment

• samibe
      samibe commented
      Editing a comment
      If you bought a second Onyx Boox Max, leather case, and a $300 page turner (that looks too large to use on an organ), you would be approaching that pricepoint.

• voet
      voet commented
      Editing a comment
      You are correct, Samibe. Although you can get Blue Tooth page turners for a lot less that $300. While I have not tried the Gvido system, it seems to me that it has the following advantages:

1. It is designed to read music scores.
      2. It is an integrated package.
      3. It is shows two pages.

I think it might be worth the investment for a professional musician. At this point, I am retired and using it for playing at home, so I am generally happy with what I have.

Bill, have you fully switched to digital sheet music?

I'm in the process of converting. So far I have added my whole PDF library. This week I started scanning my sheet music. The loose sheet music should be relatively quick. I think I will be done with that by next week. The books will take significantly longer. I've been debating about getting a spiral binding punch. If I were to do that, I could cut the spines off of most of my books, scan them quickly and then spiral bind them.
    Sam
    Files: Allen Tone Card (TC) Database, TC Info, TC Converter, TC Mixer, ADC TC SF2, and MOS TC SF2, ADC TC Cad/Rvt, MOS TC Cad/Rvt, Organ Database, Music Library, etc. PM for unlinked files.

Comment

• voet
      voet commented
      Editing a comment
      I only have a few scores loaded on my E-Ink reader. It would take quite a bit of work to get my entire music library loaded. Some things work OK as they are. However, if I get a new PDF score, I load it.

I finally figured out where the scrolling options are located. I've got to try that out. There's even an option for having MobileSheets scroll through the song in a given time which I could use since I often time the pieces before I perform them. Also doing a quick calc of how much time a song should take (given measure numbers, tempo, and time signatures) and letting it scroll at that speed might even help me know if I'm playing too quickly or slowly.
    Sam

Comment

Originally posted by samibe View Post
      There's ... an option for having MobileSheets scroll through the song in a given time....Also doing a quick calc of how much time a song should take (given measure numbers, tempo, and time signatures) and letting it scroll at that speed might even help me know if I'm playing too quickly or slowly.
      I use the scrolling option of Mobile Sheets most of the time because I still have not purchased a Blue Tooth pedal for page turns. It works better for some pieces than others. If a piece has fast and slow sections, it may not work. One thing I do like about it, which you mention, is that helps you know if you are playing too quickly or slowly. This can be a good way to know which sections of a piece need more work.
      Bill

Comment

My system is now complete with the addition of an iRig Blue Turn, which is a Bluetooth page turner. It works beautifully with my Onyx Boox Max 3 reader and MobileSheets software. It has two buttons. The button on the right advances one page, the button on the left goes back one page. It is like using toe studs.

It is easy to use, I installed the two included AAA batteries, turned it on, selected the mode, and synced up to my reader. I chose this brand because it fits on the shelf of my pedal board. My only regret is that I did not get it sooner.
        Bill

Comment

I am very sorry for the hijack but I desperately need a way to import .pdf files into the MuseScore notation program. ScanScore specifically markets their product as a way of doing this but even with high quality commercial .pdf's input into ScanScore, the amount of error correction that must be made manually is unacceptable. ScanScore has not responded to my repeated e-mails for assistance with their product. I have ongoing production projects daily due to the need to keep the online services going every week. I just don't have the time to correct 100 measures every time a score is scanned or imported into the computer. Again, sorry for the hijack but this seems to be a thread that has attracted posters likely to have background into my problem.

Comment

• voet
            voet commented
            Editing a comment
            Leisesturm, you might want to try the free version of MobileSheets and see if that will meet your needs. If you decide to purchase it, it is quite reasonable at $12.99 USD. I have not had to correct any PDFs that I have imported to use with MS.

What are you using Musescore for with your PDFs? I haven't tried ScanScore. A while back Musescore used to recommend Audiveris. I tried it and also didn't have very much success with it but that was several years ago.
          Sam

Comment

• samibe
            samibe commented
            Editing a comment
            It also looks like music OCR development is hampered by potential copyright issues.

• Leisesturm
            Leisesturm commented
            Editing a comment
            Real Horns (French Horn) only play in F. I've been playing Horn for 10 years and the other Hornist I am talking about has been playing Horn for 20 years. Neither of us has ever found Horn parts in any other key than F. Baroque stuff is all over the place but it's all been transposed to F for lazy 20th Century Horn players that don't (or can't) transpose. The other Horns - Alto, Tenor, Baritone that play in British Brass Bands do play in different keys and that is mainly done so the players can move from instrument to instument without having to learn to transpose. Transposing is hard! Best if you can learn as a young player. I was 50 years old when I first blew into a wind instrument.

• samibe
            samibe commented
            Editing a comment
            The orchestra that I was part of must have had a minimal budget because any pieces we played written before the 1950s had french horn parts all over the place. Mind-bending to say the least.

I have been watching another of Aarnoud de Groen's YT concerts. He plays a wide range of repertoire and I always enjoy them.

However, today he describes the set up he uses for his score readers. Yes, he used two of them and turns pages with mouth movements. You can hear his description at 40:17 at this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LxB...ature=youtu.be
          Bill

Comment

• Leisesturm
            Leisesturm commented
            Editing a comment
            Did you say mouth movements? Very interesting. I've got to watch this video later when I have time. I'm intrigued enough not to be annoyed by your attempt to get your thread back on topic

• voet
            voet commented
            Editing a comment
            He demonstrates the way he moves his mouth to turn pages. I thought of putting this in a new thread, because it is a novel method. However, I thought people who really wanted to research the topic might appreciate having one place to go rather than two or more.
        Working...
        X