Pentecost Hymns and other music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pentecost Hymns and other music

Many of us are making music for our churches by posting on YouTube these days, better than nothing I suppose! I hope others might post their Pentecost hymns and organ pieces here as well, so feel free to share yours too.

My church has asked me to do a "hymn story" every other Sunday for distribution. Today being Pentecost, I decided to tell the background story to a 20th century hymn written for Pentecost by Daniel B. Merrick, a prominent Disciples of Christ pastor and writer of hymns, and the editor of the 1995 Chalice Hymnal.

Since a great deal of time went into this, I thought I'd share it with this group as well. The video begins with a twelve minute talk -- some Pentecost scripture, some bio on Daniel Merrick and on William Gardiner (whose tune "Germany" I used with this hymn text). Merrick's text is in standard "Long Meter" form, so there are of course dozens of good hymn tunes to which it may be sung. I chose this one because it seemed fitting. The tune with it in the Chalice Hymnal is an adapted Plainsong, but I thought it best to use a more typical type of tune to share with my congregation.

At about 12:27 we move to the chancel of First Christian Church, Sherwood, and I play this hymn while my wife and I sing the words. Nothing professional here, but a heartfelt offering to our church.

The "talk" is just me sitting at my desk at home, recording with the built-in camera and microphone on my laptop. At church I used my cellphone to capture the video and my Roland R-09 digital audio recorder to capture the sound, which I spliced to the video using Windows Movie Maker.

Remember you can skip the "sermon" if you like and hear the hymn at 12:27. (The zimbelstern at the end is from the Allen Expander in the drawer.)

John
    ----------
    *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

If you'd like to see the hymn text and music, here's a PDF I made to distribute to my church. I took the text and "pasted" it into the tune.

Come Holy Spirit Fill This Place.pdf
    John
    ----------
    *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

Comment

• jbird604
      jbird604 commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't noticed any bass-heaviness on my R-09 recordings, but the microphones may vary from one unit to the next. Have you tried the "Low Cut" switch on the back in both positions? (Mine is "off.") Perhaps where you place the recorder makes a difference in the amount of bass picked up. I didn't try different locations, just set it up near the organ bench and it turned out pretty good.

This is the first video I've made where I captured the audio on the R-09 and then attached it to the video captured by my phone camera. Previously I just let the phone do the whole thing, and the sound was ok but not nearly as clear as the audio I got with the R-09 this time around.

Glad you liked the Allen's zimbelstern. I don't use it very often, Christmas, Easter, possibly Pentecost and/or Trinity. But the folks at church think it's real!

• Philip Powell
      Philip Powell commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe we can hear your home organ next week?

• jbird604
      jbird604 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm still floundering with the home organ, of course. The Allen at church sounds SO much better in recordings, even though it's nearly 30 years old. My home VPO setup is awesome for headphones, but still doesn't sound right when we try to sing along and record at home, due to the total lack of ambiance. But I might be able to post some more recordings on my VPO thread to show my progress.

Good job. Very nicely done.

Comment

• Philip Powell
      Philip Powell commented
      Editing a comment
      I love his Scripture inclusion! His wife was great, too!

Comment

Wow, Leisesturm, that was quite a service! Your church is blessed with a lot of technical skill that my church lacks. But in truth what you have here is simply a well-planned and orderly service with capable folks doing all the tasks. Interesting variety of music too.

This coming week my pastor has asked me and my wife to meet her at the church for a recording session. At this point we have only planned to include a sermon plus a hymn, but I'm inspired by your video! Perhaps we'll try to make it a little more varied than that. Thanks for posting!
      John
      ----------

Comment

My village church choir sings 2 or 3 things in our online services every week. It's difficult: only 5 of them (+ me) have the confidence and technological know how to send in recordings and I have no control over how they sing - and thy're only amateurs. All ladies or girls .Without being able to see each other and hear each other breathe and phrase it's all a bit rough and ready - but better than nothing!

It's not usually a communion service - only because it was Pentecost.This was the first service where the priest could be in church rather than his study - the rest of us still at home:
        https://kingscliffe.church/online-services/pentecost/

Hymns at 2.25 and 18.45.
        Little anthem at 8.55
        Voluntary at 27.40
        Last edited by Peterboroughdiapason; 06-01-2020, 05:45 AM.

Comment

• jbird604
          jbird604 commented
          Editing a comment
          Very nice service! I feel like I've been to church! And your choir sounds very good to me in spite of the small numbers and the difficulties of singing as a group when you're not in the same place. Gives me encouragement that we might be able to pull that off here, with a choir that's no larger than yours. Thanks!

• Peterboroughdiapason
          Peterboroughdiapason commented
          Editing a comment
          The same organ Voet - my little Allen CF-2a at home. I may have recorded the voluntary directly from the headphone socket, but I don't think so.

• Philip Powell
          Philip Powell commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, the reverend spells his name correctly!!!

John, I like how you used the organ for the hymn accompaniment. You showed sensitivity to the text by getting quieter on stanzas 2 & 3 which are more introspective. It makes the return of fuller organ on stanza 4 more impactful. Nicely done.
        Bill

My home organ: Content M5800 as a midi controller for Hauptwerk

Comment

• jbird604
          jbird604 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you kindly, Bill. I do like to vary the registrations to enhance the text, and so the sound doesn't get boring, but even with pistons I can be quite clumsy at making changes. I was fortunate on this hymn that my right hand could hold the chord at the end of each stanza while the left hand hit the pistons!

My church is already back to Masses and I played this week. You can listen to multiple hymns and chants throughout the attached video: https://youtu.be/MSuIquWM8V8
        Entrance: Concerto on Come, Holy Ghost arr. by Richard Proulx (4:15)
        Offertory: Veni Creator Spiritus (34:10) (I was very tempted to add a reed at the end!)
        Communion: Come, Holy Ghost by Thomas Atwood (48:10)

BTW, I was instructed to play everything a little faster so that the 50 person congregation would be discouraged to sing along.
        “I play the notes as they are written, but it is God who makes the music.” - Johann Sebastian Bach
        Organs I Play:
        - Allen 2100(T); 1951 M.P. Moller, 3 manual, 55 stop, 28 ranks, (Opus 8152); and 1965 Balcom and Vaughan 3 manual, 34 stops, 25 ranks (Opus 690)

Comment

• Philip Powell
          Philip Powell commented
          Editing a comment
          In the whole city of Bremerton (+ the 2 surrounding cities), there have been 0 people hit by the virus. Also, during this time, when people get sick from the flu, etc., we are actually below the average annual number.

• davidecasteel
          davidecasteel commented
          Editing a comment
          My church here in Richardson, Texas (northern suburb of Dallas) is still worshipping via live streaming and YouTube, and plans to continue through June. We have full services, but without a congregation in place. Many of the participants are not in the Chancel, either. The Tech Crew somehow knits it all together and it works. Music is by small groups (distancing) or soloists, Hymns do have live accompaniment on the organ (words on screen). A Bulletin is available to view. For Palm Sunday and Easter (both days where big choir music is expected) they just replayed what had been done for those services last year!

• Philip Powell
          Philip Powell commented
          Editing a comment
          David (?), Wow, you guys really have the gig figured out!

Originally posted by Philip Powell View Post
        My church is already back to Masses and I played this week. You can listen to multiple hymns and chants throughout the attached video: https://youtu.be/MSuIquWM8V8
        Entrance: Concerto on Come, Holy Ghost arr. by Richard Proulx (4:15)
        Offertory: Veni Creator Spiritus (34:10) (I was very tempted to add a reed at the end!)
        Communion: Come, Holy Ghost by Thomas Atwood (48:10)

BTW, I was instructed to play everything a little faster so that the 50 person congregation would be discouraged to sing along.
        I heard your Priest ask the congregation to refrain from singing. It has been my experience that Catholics are pretty obedient. If you read that as I wouldn't want to spoil an amazing tune like "VENI CREATOR" by rushing it to discourage participation you would be right. Do you know the Choral Varie on "Veni Creator Spiritus" by Maurice Durufle? !Not easy, but the opening Chorale isn't too gnarly. You could do it. It's grand and slow and that is often just as effective at discouraging participation as speeding up is. You can also break the flow of the melody as if you were making your own hymn arrangement. In fact, you've got an amazing opportunity while your people are ... silenced ... to use hymn arrangements to good effect where you would normally use the hymnal. Make up your own. Use the hymnal as a guide but put the alto voice on top for a verse. Repeat the last phrase of a line of music before going on to the next line.

Comment

Originally posted by Leisesturm View Post

Do you know the Choral Varie on "Veni Creator Spiritus" by Maurice Durufle?
          I have never heard that one, but I will take a look. Maybe I will use it for the next feast that involves the Holy Spirit.

“I play the notes as they are written, but it is God who makes the music.” - Johann Sebastian Bach
          Organs I Play:
          - Allen 2100(T); 1951 M.P. Moller, 3 manual, 55 stop, 28 ranks, (Opus 8152); and 1965 Balcom and Vaughan 3 manual, 34 stops, 25 ranks (Opus 690)

Comment

• Philip Powell
            Philip Powell commented
            Editing a comment
            The opening part seems pretty manageable, although the next part seems challenging. I would most likely use the opening and then go straight to the hymn book's arrangement. I know, "lazy".

Originally posted by Leisesturm View Post

In fact, you've got an amazing opportunity while your people are ... silenced ... to use hymn arrangements to good effect where you would normally use the hymnal. Make up your own. Use the hymnal as a guide but put the alto voice on top for a verse. Repeat the last phrase of a line of music before going on to the next line.
          Great suggestions! I will try to incorporate them into this week's Mass. I really like reharmonizations (not by me, though), it's just finding them that is hard.
          Organs I Play:

Comment

Well, it looks like we'll be doing some things a little differently here at our church. I got some great ideas from you guys, and my pastor had been wanting us to do something more collaborative, so we met up and talked today. We made a recording to send out this weekend, and it was of course very simple, but a bit more to it than we've been doing. We began with prayer, then did a couple verses of a hymn with organ, then pastor did a brief sermon, and we finished with another hymn. Nothing elaborate of course, but perhaps more in the direction of "real church" than what we've done.

We talked about possibilities, and perhaps next week or soon after, we'll also incorporate communion (though it will be just three of us present), and I may play a very brief prelude before she offers the opening prayer. Still a very simple order, but moving more in the direction of what we do when we have corporate worship. So I'm pleased with this turn of events. I also felt that it was much LESS stressful to simply meet at the church and do a one-take recording than to labor and wring hands over my own recording and editing, as I've done the past few weeks.
            John
            ----------

Comment

Working...
            X