Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jbird604
    replied
    Well, it looks like we'll be doing some things a little differently here at our church. I got some great ideas from you guys, and my pastor had been wanting us to do something more collaborative, so we met up and talked today. We made a recording to send out this weekend, and it was of course very simple, but a bit more to it than we've been doing. We began with prayer, then did a couple verses of a hymn with organ, then pastor did a brief sermon, and we finished with another hymn. Nothing elaborate of course, but perhaps more in the direction of "real church" than what we've done.

We talked about possibilities, and perhaps next week or soon after, we'll also incorporate communion (though it will be just three of us present), and I may play a very brief prelude before she offers the opening prayer. Still a very simple order, but moving more in the direction of what we do when we have corporate worship. So I'm pleased with this turn of events. I also felt that it was much LESS stressful to simply meet at the church and do a one-take recording than to labor and wring hands over my own recording and editing, as I've done the past few weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Philip Powell
    commented on 's reply
    David (?), Wow, you guys really have the gig figured out!

• davidecasteel
    commented on 's reply
    My church here in Richardson, Texas (northern suburb of Dallas) is still worshipping via live streaming and YouTube, and plans to continue through June. We have full services, but without a congregation in place. Many of the participants are not in the Chancel, either. The Tech Crew somehow knits it all together and it works. Music is by small groups (distancing) or soloists, Hymns do have live accompaniment on the organ (words on screen). A Bulletin is available to view. For Palm Sunday and Easter (both days where big choir music is expected) they just replayed what had been done for those services last year!

• Philip Powell
    commented on 's reply
    The opening part seems pretty manageable, although the next part seems challenging. I would most likely use the opening and then go straight to the hymn book's arrangement. I know, "lazy".

• Philip Powell
    replied
    Originally posted by Leisesturm View Post

In fact, you've got an amazing opportunity while your people are ... silenced ... to use hymn arrangements to good effect where you would normally use the hymnal. Make up your own. Use the hymnal as a guide but put the alto voice on top for a verse. Repeat the last phrase of a line of music before going on to the next line.
    Great suggestions! I will try to incorporate them into this week's Mass. I really like reharmonizations (not by me, though), it's just finding them that is hard.

Leave a comment:

• Philip Powell
    replied
    Originally posted by Leisesturm View Post

Do you know the Choral Varie on "Veni Creator Spiritus" by Maurice Durufle?
    I have never heard that one, but I will take a look. Maybe I will use it for the next feast that involves the Holy Spirit.

Leave a comment:

• Philip Powell
    commented on 's reply
    In the whole city of Bremerton (+ the 2 surrounding cities), there have been 0 people hit by the virus. Also, during this time, when people get sick from the flu, etc., we are actually below the average annual number.

• jbird604
    commented on 's reply
    I'm still floundering with the home organ, of course. The Allen at church sounds SO much better in recordings, even though it's nearly 30 years old. My home VPO setup is awesome for headphones, but still doesn't sound right when we try to sing along and record at home, due to the total lack of ambiance. But I might be able to post some more recordings on my VPO thread to show my progress.

• Piperdane
    commented on 's reply
    Here in Tucson, Arizona, our church council and pastors have decided that it's way to early to even consider corporate worship. The ELCA is being quite cautious and it's rumored that we will not hold public services until at least September and possibly not even up and through Christmas. So far, not one member of our 1500 parishioners has been struck by this virus, let alone gotten sick. The live streaming is the 'norm' for the time being ... not even thinking about the choir season yet either. Fortunately I have unrestricted 24/7 access to the sanctuary and organ so I can keep practicing to my hearts content. We record the hymns and liturgies to be used during the week. I record my preludes/postludes on my Zoom H4 recorder and edit those using NCH's WavePad and save as MP3, and send in those files to the church each week.

• Leisesturm
    replied
    Originally posted by Philip Powell View Post
    My church is already back to Masses and I played this week. You can listen to multiple hymns and chants throughout the attached video: https://youtu.be/MSuIquWM8V8
    Entrance: Concerto on Come, Holy Ghost arr. by Richard Proulx (4:15)
    Offertory: Veni Creator Spiritus (34:10) (I was very tempted to add a reed at the end!)
    Communion: Come, Holy Ghost by Thomas Atwood (48:10)

BTW, I was instructed to play everything a little faster so that the 50 person congregation would be discouraged to sing along.
    I heard your Priest ask the congregation to refrain from singing. It has been my experience that Catholics are pretty obedient. If you read that as I wouldn't want to spoil an amazing tune like "VENI CREATOR" by rushing it to discourage participation you would be right. Do you know the Choral Varie on "Veni Creator Spiritus" by Maurice Durufle? !Not easy, but the opening Chorale isn't too gnarly. You could do it. It's grand and slow and that is often just as effective at discouraging participation as speeding up is. You can also break the flow of the melody as if you were making your own hymn arrangement. In fact, you've got an amazing opportunity while your people are ... silenced ... to use hymn arrangements to good effect where you would normally use the hymnal. Make up your own. Use the hymnal as a guide but put the alto voice on top for a verse. Repeat the last phrase of a line of music before going on to the next line.

Leave a comment:

• Philip Powell
    commented on 's reply
    Maybe we can hear your home organ next week?

• Philip Powell
    commented on 's reply
    Wow, the reverend spells his name correctly!!!

• Philip Powell
    commented on 's reply
    I am sorry to hear that. I know things are a little more serious over there in Europe, but I hope things start to change soon. About singing, our government and Archdiocese is thinking it'll be back in July, which is too far away for my liking.

• Peterboroughdiapason
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for that.

Here in the UK I don't think the churches will be able to open for public worship for some time - and I've no idea when we might be able to sing again. 😢

• Peterboroughdiapason
    commented on 's reply
    The same organ Voet - my little Allen CF-2a at home. I may have recorded the voluntary directly from the headphone socket, but I don't think so.
Working...
X