"I hate music"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by regeron View Post
    I make allowance for various kinds of listening, which can change according to circumstance.

Comparing music to painting, if I only looked at a painting when I wanted to analyse or fully appreciate it, I would have one blank wall in my home, and a closet full of paintings. When so moved, I would select a painting, hang it on that wall and enjoy it. Then I would put it away until the next time I wanted to enjoy the art.
    Although I didn't mention this earlier, I don't use music as "background" but I do listen to music often. Also, I have white walls with no images or paintings but I do view paintings and drawings regularly (they're in closets and books).

In my youth I noticed almost everyone had art on their walls and had music or televisions or both playing all the time, but they rarely paid attention to any of it. Every once in a while something they liked would come on, and they'd pay attention for a bit. The rest of the time the music, the art, the television programs and all became background light and sound with no notable value except, maybe, as an indicator of the "style" of person not paying attention. Erik Satie caused a stir in 1917 when he asked that the audience not pay attention to his music being played, and he called it furniture music. When I first heard about it I was appalled for all the time exerted to learn to compose, to learn to play, to learn to perform, and then to ask the audience to not pay attention. So much effort to be purposely ignored.

In my musical life, I've put in likely 20 to 30 thousand hours of practice (woodwinds, organ). In my visual art life, I've but in 10 to 15 thousand hours. For my professional work, I've probably put 7 to 10 thousand hours of programming and data analysis. When I produce a performance, a drawing, an analysis for someone or someones, I don't do so to be ignored. When someone shares a performance, a painting, a analytical graphic, I pay attention both out of respect for the producer's effort and what I might learn or how I might grow from it.

I do know the difference between effort and paying attention on the one hand, and making a buck on the other. Also, I know how to chill/relax but it doesn't involve conspicuous cultural consumption or letting some commercial enterprise fill my eyes/ears with their wares hocking...I just sit quietly--nothing playing in the background, nothing scrolling on a screen, just nothing except my mind slowly bouncing around various glimpses of images, snatches of conversation, whisps of thoughts, snippets of tunes.

I recognize people look at art, listen to music, and watch a presentation for many different reasons, but with my limited time on this twirling orb I'm not going to purposely ignore things designed to hold attention (my humming refrigerator, the waiting to be washed Mr. Coffee, and the handle of my kitchen faucet are well designed to function, but mostly not to hold my attention).

Comment

There is one thing for which I have VERY little patience. My mother tongue is English. If your mother tongue is also English and you are singing a song in English and I can't understand your words, you have failed. Period.
      Believe it or not, but my mother tongue is not English - however I must fully agree - if the words are lost, most of the beauty of the song is lost along with it... (Here I will try and avoid even mentioning modern kinds of "music" such as rap...)
      Nico

"Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

• you795a
        you795a commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree totally. I was always told a song tells a story. If I can't understand the words, it is a total turn off for me.

I think this thread has pointed out something very important - that each of us, according to our own personality and experiences, can view or hear music differently, and that music plays different roles in different people's lives. We can note the differences, but we shouldn't judge them. We can learn from each other and try to understand each other's point of view, but we need to avoid forcing our own outlook on someone else.

When I plan music for church, I try to include music that I personally don't get much out of, but I know that it speaks to others and is in that 'gray area' that I will still find acceptable to our style of worship. It can be a challenge to accommodate this, but it has its rewards. As an example, I and my choir tend to be very optimistic. We love to sing hymns and anthems that praise God and encourage each other. Yet, we know that someone in the gathering might have had an absolutely crappy week. They don't want to praise - they are there seeking comfort. So every week I try to include at least one hymn that will speak to that kind of situation. It is clearly identified to the choir in advance, so that we can lead in a way that is sincerely comforting. Our job is to minister, which includes being aware and sensitive to the needs of others. We don't always succeed, but we try.

I appreciate hearing the different points of view on this issue and am happy that people have been so candid in their sharing.

Comment

When I plan music for church, I try to include music that I personally don't get much out of, but I know that it speaks to others and is in that 'gray area' that I will still find acceptable to our style of worship.
        [snip]
        Our job is to minister, which includes being aware and sensitive to the needs of others. We don't always succeed, but we try.
        Exactly on point, Regeron! Sometimes as musicians, we tend to forget we're in the "service industry," and are there for the benefit of the "customer." It is amazing to me how many church musicians who seem to be in it for themselves and not for the benefit for others. We sometimes need to be reminded of that. Thank you.

Michael
        Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
        • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
        • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

HI all,

I do not like to listen to music in general. This was even as a child. When I would watch children's TV (Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, etc.) and music came on, I would think "O no, not music." I am a self-taught organist (with a year of theory in college). I enjoy making/playing music but not really listening. I do like to watch people play instruments of any kind, but especially organ. When I'm listening to or watching performance, I'm usually trying to "learn" something or watch/listen to the technical aspects of playing.

By profession, I am a mathematics professor. I think very analytically and linearly. The thing that I enjoy about playing music is the technical and analytical aspects. When I arrange music, I do so from a technical aspect using the rules that I know from both my classical music theory and my observation of "popular" music. I have had people tell me how they felt emotionally after I played an arrangement or the mental pictures that it inspired. None of that was ever a thought when I arranged it. I was just thinking what can I do with the harmony, registration, etc. to add variety to the piece.

Even though I don't listen to music, I like noise on when I'm home, driving, etc. This comes from the fact that when I was a baby my mother would play AM radio while I napped. She did not want me easily awakened in order for her to clean, vacuum, etc. while I was sleeping.

Later,
          Allen
          Currently own: Roland Atelier AT-90, Yamaha 115D, Roland DP-90SE, Yamaha PSR-S910

YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
          X