Who cares if I listen? A study of dodecaphonic music enjoyment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who cares if I listen? A study of dodecaphonic music enjoyment

As promised, I share with you the results of the «Dodecaphonic survey». Save-you-a-click summary:
    • take a brief dodecaphonic piece, let us call it D;
    • modify 10% of the notes in D by changing their pitch. Let us call this new piece DM;
    • have an audience of people who appreciate dodecaphonic music listen to D and DM;
    • there is no evidence that the listener’s enjoyment is lowered from D to DM. In other words, dodecaphonic enthusiasts seem not to care that the notes being played are “wrong”.
    Here is the full article: Who cares if I listen? A study of dodecaphonic music enjoyment.
    Thanks to everyone who took the survey in the other thread.

Hahahaha that's very interesting. I guess that also means "mistakes" in dodecaphonic music doesn't sound obvious, it doesn't make the music feel incorrect or something went wrong, so people can't realize it?

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah Weizhen View Post
      Hahahaha that's very interesting. I guess that also means "mistakes" in dodecaphonic music doesn't sound obvious, it doesn't make the music feel incorrect or something went wrong, so people can't realize it?
      Sorry for late replying, I forgot to turn notifications on.
      Yes, that is exactly the kernel of the study. It is not «bad» per se (there is so much more than pitch in music after all), but it places a big dent on theories like the ones of Babbit etc. on the «higher efficiency» of this new musical vocabulary.

Comment

Working...
      X