No announcement yet.

Unusual Advertising Statements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This one isn't organ related, however, I still remember it decades later.

I once saw a sign on a liquor store that advertised: "All wines 10% off---especially Vendange!"

Comment

• myorgan
      myorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah, got it! Thanks.

• Silken Path
      Silken Path commented
      Editing a comment
      Is "Vendange" a wine or a misspelling of "vintage?"

• tbeck
      tbeck commented
      Editing a comment
      The wine is Vendange and it has nothing to do with the absurdity of the advertisement.

Also off topic. Our churches used to get together for combined singing on fifth Sundays, which was duly reported in the typo-prone local newspaper.

One time they had the churches coming together for the fifth Sunday night signing. (For autographs?)

Another time they got together for the fifth Sunday night sinning. (Equal opportunity sinning.)
    -- I'm Lamar -- Allen TC-4 Classic project, 1899 Kimball project
    -- Rodgers W5000C, Roland RD300NX, DS-61/88, FA-06 - Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

• myorgan
      myorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      What's even worse is when you type it up for them, e-mail it, and they STILL manage to spell things wrong!

Michael

Just read a nice description for a piano: "Should be tuned before first use".

Comment

• jbird604
      jbird604 commented
      Editing a comment
      A small church where I know the pianist well wanted to upgrade to a grand piano. They were told about one that being offered for free after the death of the owner, and the estate manager said "it only needs tuning." I'm too far away to go look at it for them, so they had it checked out by a well-known piano tech before picking it up, and he told them "it needs $6,000 worth of work to make it a $3,000 piano!" Not sure who was pulling whose leg, or if the tech went ahead and picked it up or not.

• andijah
      andijah commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, jbird604, sometimes a piano needs much more than just a bit of tuning.
      I probably didn't manage to make a good translation. In the ad, they used an expression that's usually used when you get new tools or machinery, and means that something has to be done before running the machine for the very first time.

• myorgan
      myorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      @andijah,

I got the reference. The translation was fine. An example might be, oil before using the first time.

Michael

Saw this one online a while back: https://www.adverts.ie/pianos/organ-piano/14142639

Organ / piano

Moving house will let go for first €10

Old needs work old lady owned it nice piece for house if it never worked she said when pluged in no sound coming out for parts or repair will swap for old diesel tanks plastic or steel leaking or not

Comment

If you followed the threads in the "on the internet" section, someone had posted an Allen organ for sale on *Bay: "free shipping - priority mail "
      Can't play an note but love all things "organ" Responsible for 2/10 Wurli pipe organ, Allen 3160(wife's), Allen LL324, Allen GW319EX, ADC4600, many others. E-organ shop to fund free organ lessons for kids.

Comment

And I just find this one! From D*ff*r Organs, no less!
        "Full size, American Guild of Organist standard pedalboard assembly for an Allen Organ. Walnut finish. Pick up in store only. Crating and shipping can be arranged for a phenomenal fee….."
        Wow!!
        John
        Can't play an note but love all things "organ" Responsible for 2/10 Wurli pipe organ, Allen 3160(wife's), Allen LL324, Allen GW319EX, ADC4600, many others. E-organ shop to fund free organ lessons for kids.

Comment

• myorgan
          myorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a good one!

Michael

• Larrytow
          Larrytow commented
          Editing a comment
          Building decent crates is actually time consuming, and has material costs. Maybe they have a really high hourly labor rate, and are just being truthful ? Even if that is so, I would not write the ad quite that way.

• AllenAnalog
          AllenAnalog commented
          Editing a comment
          Having paid Craters and Freighters to pack, crate and ship a set of Deagan chimes from Florida to Denver, I think they chose exactly the right word!

OK ,here’s one: The $99 Allen on -Bay has been listed by s/n instead of Model# . I advised the seller twice. Guess what, no bids! The listing ran out. So they relisted it; by serial #!

Comment

As I post this entry, there is an Allen T321Q theater organ listed for sale on "the bay." The last line of the listing just floored me.

"Upon commitment to buy, Seller will be happy to arrange a viewing and opportunity to play the organ."

So you can't see it or play it until you say you will buy it. Doesn't seem like the best idea to encourage a sale. (And the word "viewing" makes me think it died.)
          Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand. Allen RMWTHEA.3 with RMI Electra-Piano; Allen 423-C+Gyro; Britson Opus OEM38; Saville Series IV Opus 209; Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI; Hammond 9812H with roll player; Gulbransen Rialto; Roland E-200; Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with MIDI.

Comment

I'm actually negotiating with them...
            I know the organ, it's quite impressive.
            John

Comment

Working...
            X