Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Heel or Not to Heel, is it really a question?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Heel or Not to Heel, is it really a question?

O.K. so everyone says you're not supposed to use heels in baroque literature (e.g. Bach, Buxtehude...) but does it really matter? After all I think that the great baroque masters would find this whole thing about no heels entirely laughable. So in the spirit of discussion what do you think about heels in baroque(n) organ literature?

Re: To Heel or Not to Heel, is it really a question?

I haven't seen any baroque piece that needs heels to be played. So why use them? You get better articulation trown in at the same time. Maybe you really should use period footware to understand the importance. Or try to play with heels on a baroque french pedal. I'll keep the chiroprator on the line.

Comment

You are ultimately going to do whatever your reflexes have been programmed todo! Once upon a time, a long, long time ago, when the whole idea of playing stuff with yer feet was still new; andorgan pedal boards oft utilized pedals so short that you couldn't use your heels anyway! [:S] . . . but a half millennia later . . . . ?[]</P>
      2008: Phoenix III/44

Comment

What is a french pedal? Is it anything like the pedals in a Citroen 2CV? I've never seen either kind.

Comment

It is entirely about articulation, and it makes perfect sense.</P>

If you play without heels you begin to understand the articulation and begin to get a sense of how to play Baroque music idiomatically.</P>

It is the same at the keyboard, playing early music without the thumb.</P>

If you learn how to play with an authentic articulation, then think you can duplicate it using your heels (and thumbs) then go for it.</P>

One thing to keep in mind - a church with alive acoustic will work much better for all-toe playing.</P>

That sort of acoustic is rather hard to find in the US.</P>

The baroque era had only flat pedalboards. You simply cannot use your heels on some of those ancient pedalboards.</P>

Comment

[quote user="Mark Pratt"]What is a french pedal? Is it anything like the pedals in a Citroen 2CV? I've never seen either kind.[/quote]</P>

Here are photos of what is called the </P>

</P>

</P>

Comment

Sir SB is correct as always. The early technique with no thumbs and heels provides correct phrasing and articulations immediately. Of course having to play on flat pedal boards and tracker instruments also demands some of those adjustments.Here in the states, iIf playing a mid 20th century Moeller in a dry room, I'd revert to my initial instruction using heels. To me, it's entirely up to how you best provide a musical performance.

Comment

I guess one of the things I was getting at is that wouldn't the great masters rather hear their works performed musically without the "proper" technique (i.e. thumbs, heels) than a rather non musical performance with "proper" technique? BTW, I think my feet might get stuck somewhere in le pedalier a la Francais partly from the design and partly because of the size of my feet (anything between 11 and 12 1/2 depending on the shoes). I'm not even sure that JSB would necessarily recognize the instrument today, compared to the instruments of his day.

Comment

[quote user="Austin766"]I guess one of the things I was getting at is that wouldn't the great masters rather hear their works performed musically without the "proper" technique (i.e. thumbs, heels) than a rather non musical performance with "proper" technique?[/quote]</P>

We cannot presumeto know what the great masters would have wanted to hear.</P>

What is 'musical' to your ear, may not be to them.</P>

The only thing we do know for certain is that ancient organs and their supposed 'limitations' can teach us how to play idiomatically. []</P>

That you might likea modern interpretation on a modern organ is fine, but I would never assume that it isanymore musical than what could be produced on an ancient organ played with baroque technique.</P>

Apples &amp; oranges... []</P>

Comment

Working...
                  X