Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Organ Forum virtual gathering on Zoom in these days of Covid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Larrytow View Post
    This virtual meeting thing has been on my mind for the last several days now, and I'm thinking it will be a wonderful, and fun thing for us to do. Being sort of an ORGANized person ( most of the time anyhow ) I've been thinking about our time differences between us all. My thoughts are about making the times of the various meetings easily understandable for everyone.
    The Forum software does this for you when you create an event in the Events Channel. The times displayed there and in the Calendar will always be adjusted to your, the user's, local time based upon the time zone information you've entered in your user settings. This includes adjustments for Daylight Savings Time as well.

So, be sure to create your calendar event in the Events Channel. Enter the times of the event for your local time. Those steps will ensure that the time displayed to others will always reflect their local time. No understanding of UTC, GMT, Zulu, Daylight Savings time required.

As a side note, all times displayed on the Forum are local time as determined by your User Settings.
    Last edited by Admin; 01-09-2021, 08:54 AM.
    -Admin

Allen 965
    Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
    Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
    Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

• Larrytow
      Larrytow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Admin, that all makes sense. I was not primarily thinking about the listing time for any particular meeting once it is published as a notice in the Events Channel. I was thinking more about in the text of posts and messages where everyone is trying to decide on what days and times will be mutually good, or acceptable for most folks.

Thanks Admin, that all makes sense. I was not primarily thinking about the listing time for any particular meeting once it is published as a notice in the Events Channel. I was thinking more about in the text of posts and messages where everyone is trying to decide on what days and times will be mutually good, or acceptable for most folks.
    Ah, OK. Users can determine their time zone offset relative GMT by viewing their User Settings or by viewing the information at the very bottom, in the right corner below the footer bar of each and every page on the Forum. This information is hard to see with the current Forum default theme, but can be enhance by highlighting it with your mouse. For example:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	TimeZone.png Views:	0 Size:	33.7 KB ID:	752768

Also, location information is required of and displayed for all new users. If you're a legacy user, this information was optional, but it would helpful to others if you entered this in your User Settings if it's not already present.
    -Admin

Allen 965
    Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Sounds like great fun! Hope I can make it. We use Google Meet to do video calls with our kids, and it works great. I'm in central time zone myself, so the time is good for me, though I'm supposed to do a video "fitness" session about that time with my daughter. I'll see if she can re-schedule me.
      John
      ----------
      *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Hi all,

I'll try to make it but cannot make any promises given the situation with my mother. (See my thread the the Grease Pit).

Thanks for organizing this.

Allen
        Currently own: Roland Atelier AT-90, Yamaha 115D, Roland DP-90SE, Yamaha PSR-S910

YouTube Channel

Comment

Aaaaah thanks Larry.
          As I understand this time zone thing us down here then would be Zulu plus one (its winter in the Northern hemisphere). I am familiar with and still calculate on the old terminology of GMT + 1. We would be on the same time line as France, Germany and most other European countries. Only our seasons are opposite (I would refer to that as Summer - 1 or Winter + 1) Bet that confused you or at least made you giggle...
          Nico
          "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

• Organfella
            Organfella commented
            Editing a comment
            This was supposed to be a comment on Post #15 - two-finger system failed me that time...

I did participate today via telephone. I enjoyed it and would do so again. I'm not an organist, but that doesn't matter.

David

Comment

Just a quick note to thank members, Davidecasteel, jbird604, larrytow, iplaykeys, you795a, and afuller5 for participating in today's chat. The conversation was far and wide-ranging, and I trust everyone enjoyed the conversation as much as I did.

For the future, we're hoping to have an earlier time so we can include our European, African, Asian, and Australian friends at a time that's more convenient for them. We're also discussing meeting, for now, once per month.

So, to that end, please let us know which time(s) and day(s) work best for you, and we'll try to accommodate everyone. Thanks again to everyone who participated.

Michael
            Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
            • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
            • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
            • 10 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

I enjoyed it myself. It was really a very pleasant time. It was a pleasure talking with other members of the forum. The time went by quickly. I would do it again. Thank you for setting it up.

Comment

Great conversation!
                John
                ----------
                *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

I agree - that worked out nicely. Kinda neat to be able to put a face with a name, and have a discussion sorta "in person".
                  Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Baldwin 626. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755.

Comment

I enjoyed it immensely as well. I will participate in the next one if my schedule allows.

Later,
                    Allen
                    Currently own: Roland Atelier AT-90, Yamaha 115D, Roland DP-90SE, Yamaha PSR-S910

YouTube Channel

Comment

Seems like I have missed something worthwhile. Allow me a question, perhaps in ignorance: Who is driving this effort? Meaning, do we have a kind of chairperson or call him/her what you like, that will arrange and schedule the "meetings" so that when there are questions one could ask that someone? For sure I will be asking many...
                      Nico
                      "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

Thanks to AllenAnalog for suggesting this and iPlayKeys for setting it up. Sorry I couldn't make the inaugural chat.

Right now these chats are being organized by individuals on an ad hoc basis. Feel free to create your own event and post the details in the Events area of the Forum.
                        -Admin

Allen 965
                        Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

I would also like to thank everyone that participated in the virtual meeting yesterday evening! As myorgan mentioned, the current plan is to have a set of these (in order to accommodate time zones). I believe we had 7 or 8 people, I'm concerned that if we get many more than that in one group that discussion may prove difficult. I'm thinking about setting up a doodle poll for people to sign up for dates/times that work for them, and if we have more than 8ish that want to participate, I would setup an additional meeting. thoughts?
                          Mark
                          At Church: Allen MDS-15
                          At Home: 3 Manual Hauptwerk VPO

Comment

• Admin
                            Admin commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Personally, I would not cap attendence. I've participated in Zoom calls with over 30 participants with no problem. I'm not familiar with Google, but with Zoom, the meeting organizer has the ability to control the direction of the meeting.

Point of information: You can create polls on the Organ Forum. It might be more convenient for you and would-be participants if you posted your poll here rather than on a third party site.

• myorgan
                            myorgan commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I second Admin's recommendation to create a poll here on the Forum. It eliminates the need for outside polls and we can all see the results.

Let me see what I can do about setting up a poll.

Michael

• myorgan
                            myorgan commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Well, I set up the Poll, but the Poll function was missing, so If people just respond with the information, perhaps we can create something from the responses we receive. It's worth a try!

TIA,

Michael

People sorry , I had to miss it but it coincided with a finance meeting of our society. www.nytos.org. At least it was 'organ' related .
                          Hope to attend the next one!
                          John
                          Can't play an note but love all things "organ" Responsible for 2/10 Wurli pipe organ, Allen 3160(wife's), Allen LL324, Allen GW319EX, ADC4600, many others. E-organ shop to fund free organ lessons for kids.

Comment

Working...
                          X