Covid 19 Vaccination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid 19 Vaccination

Utah finally opened vaccinations to those age 65 and older, so I've got my 1st dose scheduled next week. Hurray!

Congrats! I've yet to be scheduled here in Dallas.

Comment

Georgia doesn't have the doses for the 2nd vaccination for the 65+ who've already had the first one. They are trying to convince people that it doesn't matter.
      -- I'm Lamar -- Allen TC-4 Classic project, 1899 Kimball project
      -- Rodgers W5000, Juno DS-61/88, FA-06 - Conn 643 - Hammond M3, E112, L-102
      -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

• Silken Path
        Silken Path commented
        Editing a comment
        Georgia health departments are getting in some today and have already been informing people for appointments this afternoon. My mom and my youngest uncle will go today.

Musikfan, I think it takes a while to develop working immunity, so the vaccine is not an immediate reason to abandon precautions. And even with the vaccines, it may take a year to get that "herd immunity." Remember the outbreaks of measles in recent years... Parents sending their kids to "measles parties" rather than an inoculation. Another way to think of the vaccine is that will help prevent me from giving it to you. But of course, I am 61 and have diabetes. I'm way down the current list, one up from the bottom.

• Admin
        Admin commented
        Editing a comment
        musikfan The Covid vaccination prevents you from becoming seriously ill, being hospitalized, taking up space in the ICU, and perhaps dyeing but it is unknown whether it prevents you from carrying the virus and spreading it to others. It is known that the disease can be spread asymptomatic carriers. That's why the guidance for mask wearing and social distancing for individuals continues even after the vaccine rounds have been completed and will continue until such time herd immunity is obtained and the virus abates

The best way to get things back to normal is to follow the CDC guidelines.

• musikfan
        musikfan commented
        Editing a comment
        I think that part of my own understanding (or lack thereof) is due to the fact that I have never lived through anything like this. My understanding of vaccinations comes from my own limited experience of simply getting them when I was a kid. Those viruses had already been mostly eliminated with the exception of chicken pox. Everyone from my generation got Chicken Pox naturally and just developed natural immunity. Those and measles are not at all dangerous to the majority of kids.

I figure that a vaccination is supposed to do what a vaccination does. It basically eliminates the sickness which is what every doctor will tell you is the reason that we no longer have those older viruses and diseases anymore like Polio, Whooping cough, Pertusis, Diptheria, etc. I am trying to figure out why this one is different. But then there is not really a true "vaccine" for the flu because a new strain comes out every year. I have a feeling that this virus is going to be the same way. I'm hoping that people will develop a defense against it that will at least lessen the effects of it and "tame it down" to something that will not be as intensive and more manageable than what we have been experiencing. Herd immunity is the key to getting beyond this virus IMHO. I'm just ready yesterday.

I had the virus back in December so I am very interested to see how I will fare in the future. I don't know anyone in my circles who has had a second round of this virus. Time will tell.

My mom ( who lives with me ) got her 1st dose on 2 / 8. She had no side effects, or touch of illness from it, like some reports say. They scheduled the 2nd one for March 2nd at that time. That was though the hospital network that we both use for all our medical care, not directly from the state or county. Since they made the 2nd appointment, I would figure that they reserved a second dose for her.

Here in WI it is 65 and above only for the first phase, and I don't quite qualify. From what I heard so far, the second phase will be health care workers and teachers. As with all things Covid related, who knows ? We shall see.
      Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Baldwin 626. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755.

Comment

• musikfan
        musikfan commented
        Editing a comment
        Just talked to a dear long time friend who is 81 years old. She had both doses of the vaccine and had almost no reaction to the second one except for some extreme fatigue for about five or six hours and then she was fine. I think things might be a bit better here in PA, but I'm not completely sure..

I’m 78 and have now received my 2nd injection of Pfizer from the VA Cleveland OH. No side effects. However, so far I see no improvement in my piano/organ playing???:-)
      Lloyd

Happily retired organist/pianist from the Church of the Brethren...Allen ADC-4300-DK.
      Home...Wurlitzer (ES) Orgatron Series 20 Serial #11608 (retrofitted with MIDI and VPO-Hauptwerk) with Leslie 44W (shorty).
      Hammond BC Serial #5070 with Leslie 31A (tallboy) tone cabinet
      A.L. Swan antique pump organ (C.1852) Cherry Valley NY
      Member of the Lutheran Church (LCMS): traditional worship. Cleveland Clinic Spiritual Care volunteer with the chaplain's office.

Comment

• Silken Path
        Silken Path commented
        Editing a comment
        Be glad you are still playing. :) I just saw the weekly covid broadcast and Dr. Fauci said the rate of severe allergy (anaphylactic shock) has been 4.5 of 1M. Looks like more on CNN. (I know just the rare cases are the ones most reported.)

Originally posted by lcid View Post
      However, so far I see no improvement in my piano/organ playing???:-)
      Then I wonder if it will perhaps prevent or cure chronic shortage of ready cash....Nico
      "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

• Admin
        Admin commented
        Editing a comment
        musikfan The coin shortage was caused by people not wanting to handle change, paying with paper money, and getting change back from the merchant. It wasn't so much a shortage of change as it was people taking it out of circulation because they didn't want to handle it.

• musikfan
        musikfan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, that makes sense. I actually never thought about it from that angle. I tend to default to a rather negative view of anything that our government does these days. I struggle to think the best of them and often assume that they have some kind of alterior motive behind whatever the latest thing is....

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        There was a coin shortage? Hmmm. I never heard about it. I've been paying cash for my breakfast every day since things began last year.

Bureau of Engraving and Printing in DC prints all the cash. Denver and Philadelphia are the two locations where coins are minted. In the past, they used to place a quite small P or D near the mint date to indicate where the coin was minted. I don't know if they are still doing that or not.

Michael

In this country the procurement of vaccines has, the same as the handling of the entire Covid affair been from the start so politicized that it is difficult to see the wood for the trees. The first batch of vaccines arrived two weeks before the expiry date! Some folk have received the vaccine but most remain very sceptical, me included. Therefore it is good to hear from someone who has received the vaccine and have no side effects. I pray that the effort will be fully successful in preventing you from getting this deadly virus.
      God bless
      Nico
      "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

Got my 1st vaccine injection last week (Pima County, Arizona) and have already scheduled my 2nd vaccine injection for early March.

State of Arizona is now doing 65+ ... Pima County extended it to 70+ which is where I fit in. Wife has 1st shot appointment later this month (in the State 65+ group)

Doesn't make much sense to me especially when the state and county are using the same facility here in Tucson.

Comment

I received both injections (Pfizer) from University of Kentucky Health Care (UKHC) Lexington Kroger Field Campus. They have a very easy to complete online request form. After being accepted, you get a link to a scheduler and you select your day and appointment time. For my second injection yesterday, I waited in a long line, however I was in the building within 15 minutes. They have set up additional stations to serve more people since my first injection. After 15 hours or so after both injections, I had an ache in my arm; by the next day just a very mild sore spot that didn't affect anything I wanted to do. UKHC has done an excellent job coordinating and delivering the vaccines. Allen

Comment

I got my first dose on Feb 1 at a Walgreens. They automatically scheduled the second dose. I got the Pfizer. I had absolutely no side or after effects. Barely felt the needle go into my arm. No arm pain, no bruising, no ill effects. In fact, later that day I pressed on the injection spot and felt no pain.

My wife, on the other hand, got the Moderna and felt ill for almost two days.

Frank

Comment

• Moller Artiste
              Moller Artiste commented
              Editing a comment
              Frank, it's interesting how the different vaccine brands affect people. My elderly Mother got the Moderna and she had zero side effects. You had no side effects with the Pfizer and I did! Allen

• Admin
              Admin commented
              Editing a comment
              There are variables other than the type of vaccine that determine a shot's side effects. Arm pain, for example can be exacerbated by exactly where in the arm the needle was jabbed.

I got both doses of the Moderna vaccine. I had no side effects from the first shot, but was my body ached after receiving the second shot. It only lasted a day and then I felt fine. It has been reported that the second shot tends to cause more side effects. This coming Tuesday will be 2 weeks since my second dose, and I will be at peak immunity.
            Bill

My home organ: Content M5800 as a midi controller for Hauptwerk

Comment

Here in Arkansas the cut-off age is still 70 unless you are in one of the designated priority groups, 1-A and 1-B, both of which are now being vaccinated.

Since I'm not 70 yet, I'm in group 1-C, and the governor only vaguely hints that we may be up for the shot by some time in April. I'm getting anxious! Glad to hear so many good stories here, that most people are having little or no problems with the shots.
              John
              ----------
              *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

My mom and uncle got their second Moderna this afternoon. My mom is reporting a little body/joint aching so far. The health department was doing 5-minute in and out, then rest in the common area for 15 min before leaving.
                -- I'm Lamar -- Allen TC-4 Classic project, 1899 Kimball project
                -- Rodgers W5000, Juno DS-61/88, FA-06 - Conn 643 - Hammond M3, E112, L-102
                -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

• FDelGreco
                  FDelGreco commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not sure about aches and pains being a rule with vaccines. In Sept 2019 I underwent a stem cell transplant to force my lymphoma into remission. When you get a stem cell transplant, it wipes out every vaccination you've ever had in your lifetime so you have to get them all over again. So six months after the transplant, I started getting all my vaccinations again. I'd go into the clinic every two months to get five shots in the arm, three in one arm and two in the other. Most required boosters every two months for several sessions. Normally, I had no reactions. Perhaps a bruise once or twice. When I got my shingles shots over again, the second time created a little discomfort.

Frank

• Silken Path
                  Silken Path commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think that's true, Larry, but I should have added she had no symptoms after the first dose. This suggests to me that the body is already mounting a defense against the second dose.

• Silken Path
                  Silken Path commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My mom today (Tuesday) has a nice bump at the injection site and has had a low-grade fever (!) , headache, and muscle and bone aches. By late afternoon she was feeling much better. She is 82.

Yes, headache and aches are common with most any vaccine. When my doctor got the Shingrix vaccine (for shingles) he said he got a headache; I only got a very sore arm for about a week--no headache.

Comment

Don't let this sidetrack this thread, but I've been wondering about all the teachers unions refusing to let the teachers go back to the classroom. I've been teaching in a private/religious school since August, and we've had no issues with Covid infections. We've been having school a bit different, though.
                  • Parents are required to complete the Covid questionnaire every day, verified by a teacher at the door
                  • Each grade enters the school through a separate door
                  • If a student is sick or goes out sick (s)he needs to have a negative Covid test before returning OR a doctor's note
                  • Teachers switch classrooms rather than the students switching
                  • Desks are a certain distance apart–further apart for lunch
                  • Recesses do not use shared equipment & are with masks on (not a bad thing for New England winters!), and
                  • We just got clearance to begin having Chorus again with a 6' separation.
                  As a teacher with compromised health (heart surgery last year), I would have thought I would be in the first group. Tonight on TV, the news was reporting that 1/4 of our State's population has now been vaccinated. I asked my wife how 25% of our population is 65+ or in the medical profession, but I guess they are! It hasn't been a problem for me so far, so I guess I'll wait until teachers are included.:o

Congratulations to the rest of you, though!

Michael
                  Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                  • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                  • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                  • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

• Admin
                    Admin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Considering the clamor to reopen the schools amid certain segments of the population, teachers should be prioritized as essential workers for receiving the vaccine. I don't understand why this a problem.

• myorgan
                    myorgan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well, look at the pay and see how communities prioritize their teachers. I'm in my 3rd year at this school, and am still below $15.00/hour. Burger King and McDonalds are prioritized more than education of the next generation.

Michael

• afuller5
                    afuller5 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    In my state, all the school districts were surveyed. According to reports, only 45% of the faculty and staff would choose to take the vaccine. It was reported that not all school districts responded, especially some of the larger metropolitan systems. According to the Georgia Department of Education, there are 181 school districts in the state.

Allen
                Working...
                X