Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding a forum reply or post with video of an improvisation

Hello all,

I'm looking for a post or reply to an original post that appeared in the past year or so (I believe).

The post or reply had an embedded video (pretty sure it was YouTube) of a pipe organ improvisation. The improvisation is less than 5 or 6 minutes long and the organist has his back to the camera. There are cuts between him and a remote console that is linked to the organist's console so the remote console is playing without a player. A reply to that post or reply included criticism for the remote console being used that way because the poster noted such use damages the remote console.

I've spent about an hour and a half searching this forum, YouTube, and Google with zip to show for it.

If you do find it, please let me know your search syntax/strategy as I want to be as self-sufficient as possible the next time my brain goes "oh yeah, I need to find that post that..."

Thanks for reading this and for considering my request.

JeffW

PS I believe the improvisation was not based on an existing melody. Also, the video was a fairly polished video production.

Any info regarding the composition, the organist, or who posted it--or replied to it would help immensely.

Search using Google, "youtube.com site:Organforum.com" yields 3,870 results, filtering down for the past year gives 3 pages of results. Maybe that's enough to let you find it. You could broaden that search by customizing the date range back a year at a time.Unless you have other info, that's probably the best you can do unless somebody happens to remember the video and remembers something more about it.
    Last edited by toodles; 02-24-2021, 11:43 AM.

Comment

I recommend using the Forum's Advanced Search facility over Google or Bing. The reason for this is that you can filter and sort your search to a much greater degree and the results are presented in a more convenient format as seen in this image. Note that you can conveniently expand or jump to each post in the result to review it as well as refine the sort order and keywords, and other filters and keywords are highlighted.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	AdvancedResults.png Views:	0 Size:	113.1 KB ID:	758290To conduct an Advanced Search click the down arrow on the Search Box at the top of the page and select Advanced Search from the menu.

I would recommend specifying a date range and any information as to the member(s) who may have posted it, whether it was a reply or not, and which Channels on the Forum to search.

You might also try specifying Video and Link in the Types field to eliminate text only posts. Unfortunately, these options will not turn up posts with videos that were embedded using the editor toolbar at this time.

Regrettably, the information you have at hand is not very conducive to text based searches.
      -Admin

Allen 965
      Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
      Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
      Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Thanks for the guidance on searching...I found the post:

Originally posted by SchnarrHorn View Post
        Around the 12 second mark and elsewhere in the video. Or should I say, Mr. Kelsey? I know, pretty bad.

A few items:
        1. There is clearly a distance between my memory and the reality of what I thought I remembered.
        2. That distance is not enough for me to get a psychological evaluation (yet).
        3. To shorten that distance, I will endeavor to tag posts and comments on the forum for easier finding in the future.
        Again, thanks for the help!
        JeffW

PS I worried I couldn't remember the organist or the organ. Then I realized I had only briefly looked at both in December--not enough time for my mind to create the link to and between Dutch organist Martin Mans at the Coignet organ in St. Eustache, Paris. I should have described the music as energetic arppeggiating and chordal comping over a fairly plain scalar melody...but my mind was fixed on the unmanned console imagery (per the above static YouTube image).

Comment

Originally posted by JeffW View Post
          A few items:
          1. There is clearly a distance between my memory and the reality of what I thought I remembered.
          2. That distance is not enough for me to get a psychological evaluation (yet).
          3. To shorten that distance, I will endeavor to tag posts and comments on the forum for easier finding in the future.
          Again, thanks for the help!
          Pffft, not to worry. I posted the original and didn't remember it.

What's REALLY annoying about that video/organ - apparently the pedals don't move remotely as the manual keys do. 😢

George
          My instrument: Allen MDS-65 with a New Century Zimbelstern
          Former instruments (RIP): Allen ADC 420; Conn Minuet

Comment

Is is fair to say that was a good visual demonstration of how couplers work?
            Tom in Tulsa

Fooling with: 1969 E100, 1955 M3, 1963 M100, Leslie 720

Comment

This Forum is AWESOME!!!
              Nico
              "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

Working...
              X