This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Song lyrics on the wall

My church has just installed a projector and screen for projecting song lyrics. I know this has been a much lamented thing on the this forum. My church has taken a slight variation that isn't too bad. They purchased the Song of Faith and Praise Hymnal and the software that goes with it. They are showing the whole page of music instead of just the words. This is a lot cheaper than buying new hymnals for the whole sanctuary. The songs can also be printed out in a different key if needed. Thankfully there isn't a recorded organ track so I don't have to worry about being replaced by a computer. I was even playing from the projected image instead of my copy on the organ. Has anyone here had any experience with the Songs of Faith and Prasie Hymnal? I find it easy to use because the print is larger than the old hymnal. Now if they could only find someone who can operate all that software...

Re: Song lyrics on the wall

[quote user="Mark Pratt"]. . .They are showing the whole page of music instead of just the words.. . .[/quote]YES!!! How in the[bleep] is anyone supposed to sing harmony when even the tune is not written out? That has been my biggest problem with projected words!</P>

[quote user="Mark Pratt"]. . .Now if they could only find someone who can operate all that software...[/quote]The organist can do it! Aren't organists supposed to be able to carry on a conversation during the postlude while putting on watch and shoes at the same time? At least (s)he'd have a sense of timing!</P>

Michael</P>
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

This is an interesting thread, but more of a same thing that has been going on for a good while now. Mark, you are lucky that the church has not come up with a way to replace you playing the organ. Look Out!![:O] You might be next! It ishappening all the time with thosescreens, canned music, and thepraise andworship bands that are soinept for the most partthey are worse thanhorrible. All I can say is churches can think of more ways to spend the $$$$$$$$$$ given to the Lord thaneventhe utilities. My gosh in this hot summer I would think those funds would have been better spent on AC. Ooops! I forgot, they wantourtithes andOfferings!!!![:'(] I learned offerings were not our good deeds or what we had tooffer the plate, but additional $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Maybe a lot of churches want us to get conditioned for Hell instead of having worship time in comfort.</P>

I don't know but it seems that your church just wants to keep up with the turn of the tides nowdays. It seems I do remember the Songs of Faith and might just have a copy. I think they are nice hymnals and I would miss having ahymnal or "song book" in my hand as they used to say when I was growing up. "Find ya a nice songbook, and let's "sang" praises to the Lord."[:)]</P>
      <P mce_keep="true"></P>

James</P>
      Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
      Baldwin Spinet 58R
      Lowrey Spinet SCL
      Wurlitzer 4100A
      Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
      Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
      Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Comment

Although I like the idea of projecting the whole page (music and words) of the hymns, I don't think it would be practical in my church. We have 2 each 10'x15' screens on either side of the Chancel area now and if more than a half-dozen lines are displayed it is hard to read from the rear of the church. I can't imagine how big the screens would have to be to make the music and words easily readable--20'x30'?; 35'x50'? In any case, they'd be enormous and very unsightly. (Our current ones can be totally retracted out of sight.) I suppose one could use more screens, but I think the 2 we have (when down) are unsightly enough and more would be awful. Or one could put hundreds of little screens on the backs of the pews, but that would require singing all the hymns while seated.</P>

David</P>

Comment

[quote user="davidecasteel"]

Or one could put hundreds of little screens on the backs of the pews, but that would require singing all the hymns while seated.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Now that would be innovative, you could choose which camera angle you might like to watch the preacher from! Or activate subtitles if the preacher has a particularly strong or strange accent.
          </p>

If E-books become more prevalent, each person could download a copy of the hymnal to their reader.</p>

Some thoughts for what the 22nd century Church might be like.
          </p>
          1971 Allen Organ TC-3S (#42904) w/sequential capture system.
          Speakers: x1 Model 100 Gyro, x1 Model 105 & x3 Model 108.

Comment

Hello all,</P>

When they project the whole page of music they start at the top and scroll down. This works if the person operating the projector and laptop is competent and aware of what is going on. Fortunatlely they don't have the organ tracks so I'm safe for now. The pianist might have to worry thought. If they do away with the organ I still have my position as bass player in our house band.I'd eventually give it up and find another with an organ.</P>

There is a hospital chapel in my town that has one of those digital hymnal things hooked up to the organ speakers (Baldwin). I haven't heard it yet. I just couldn't imagine attending a church service with canned organ music. It would be like going to the local funeral home where the music is also canned. Their organcaught fire and was junked a while back. </P>

Comment

Mark,</P>

My gosh, I have heard it all! However, just leave it to these churches and there will be more things "come up" in order to push people aways and find ways to spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ all in the name of the Lord. </P>

So, an organ caught fire at a funeral home. I guess hell was going to represented there for someone or reason. Wonder if is was a Hammond?I heard of a church burning down when the organist failed to turn the organ off after a late long meeting one Sunday PM. Before daylight, the whole church building was nothing but a smoking heap. After much searching it was determined how the church caught fire.</P>
              <P mce_keep="true"></P>

I had my 5 year old Hammond M100 to catch fire after the rectifier tube burnt out. I learned that Hammond was too cheap to install fuses where such as that wouldn't happen. I was playing away and actually thought someone was cooking BBQ. Then I noticed some smoke, and the transformer had just began a good melting down process. I was just sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![*-)] Instead of buying the Wurlitzer I actually wanted I ended up with a Hammondsince I had always played them so much as well as found them reliable.Oh yes, I had it fixed as well as a new transformer installed and all new tubes. I had that organ over 20 years, and sent it out of here for a Wurlitzer. At that time the pedals were messed up and needed attention big time. Then my second experience with owning a Hammond T200 Series was nothing but a headache, so I am not a Hammond fan anymore as well as just burnt out on them.</P>

So many of the organ companies seemed so arrogant way back when, and at one time Hammond would not release their schematics to anyone but a Hammond tech. They all seemed to boast about what their brand could do compare to someone else, and you knew exactly what other brand or brands they were talking about for darned sure. I just learned there are certain personal features I like as well as the tone the stops make and not all the auto features percussion sections, etc. I always look for those organs who follow after what a traditional organ such as a pipe organ offers in the way of stops, then features.</P>
              <P mce_keep="true"></P>

James</P>
              Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
              Baldwin Spinet 58R
              Lowrey Spinet SCL
              Wurlitzer 4100A
              Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
              Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
              Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Comment

[quote user="Mark Pratt"]

I just couldn't imagine attending a church service with canned organ music. It would be like going to the local funeral home where the music is also canned. </P>

[/quote]In the little Methodist church in Arkansas where my mother's funeral was held, most of the music was played on the upright piano--there is no organ and no one would be able to play it if there were. My mother had requested specific music for her funeral--she wanted ME to sing Mallotte's The Lord's Prayer and her favorite hymn It Is Well With My Soul. Two problems with that: first of all, there is no one in that community who plays the piano well enough to accompany the Mallotte--maybe could get through the hymn; secondly, I get terribly emotional at ANY funeral and cannot sing at one (much less the one for my mother!). When my mother made her request, of course she knew my inability to actually sing in person at her funeral so she suggested I record the numbers ahead of time. Accordingly, some years before she died I arranged with the church organist and media person to record me singing the two requested pieces, and when the time came for the funeral they were played from the canned version. No one complained about doing it that way. (And I did emotionally break down, as anticipated.) Canned music does sometimes have its purposes.</P>

David</P>

Comment

Working...
                X