This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News from Twin Creeks

It's been a while since I've mentioned Aunt Minnie, Yvonna, and all the other characters across the valley in Twin Creeks. Something interesting happened on the Sunday following July 4 that is worth telling. Don't know whether this will lead to changes or just be forgotten.</P>

July 4 was on Friday this year, but the big shindig at Twin Creeks was on Saturday July 5. There wasa huge celebration with plentifulfood and drink (though the Baptists drank nothing stronger than sweet tea, of course -- the Methodists got a little more adventurous). Twin Creeks Baptist was the location of the big party, as they have the biggest open lawn in the community and they have the outdoor picnic tables and such. The party went on until almost midnight, including a spectacular fireworks display, paid for by the feed store and the funeral home.</P>

Yvonna's brother Jessie Ray was home from New York City for the long weekend, accompanied by his long-time companion Dan ("Danny Boy" we call him). Jessie and Dan are both in the musical theatre and have spent all their adult lives in NYC. You may recall that Jessie left Twin Creeks at the age of 18 for the city lights and has returned only sporadically over the years, always with Dan at his side.</P>

Sunday morning, July 6, both Aunt Minnie and Yvonna were unable to be at church. It seems that they had both overdone the eating and partying, though I was assured they had not touched anybeverage other than the tea. But both had apparently been up most of the night "exploding from both ends" as the story was told. This created a real problem for the church services at Twin Creeks Baptist, where, as you know, these two have held down the piano and organ benches for half a century. The minister of music happened to be out of town that weekend on vacation, and Aunt Minnie had planned to simply announce the songs herself, had she not been indisposed.</P>

Tay, my young cousin who is an accomplished classical organist but rarely allowed to play at Twin Creeks, was available that morning and was called upon to fill in. Jessie and Dan were also available and stepped in as well. Jessie, who had learned some piano from his mother while growing up, continued his piano training when he went off to NYC, and plays much better than any of us knew before. Dan, of course, has an astounding tenor voice. So the three of them worked as a team and quickly put together a worship service -- with a patriotic theme -- unlike anything ever before heard at Twin Creeks.</P>

The highlight of the service was the singing of "God of Our Fathers" as an awesome congregational hymn. Tay had loaded up the Alterables on the Allen with the big bold Spanish Trumpets and put it into the antiphonal speakers. When the hymn began and he played the big fanfare on those trumpets there was an audible gasp from the congregation. But surprise soon gave way to wonderment and excitement. Every time the big trumpets sounded from high up in the rear of the church many folks turned around to look for the "band" they thought was hidden up there somewhere. But then they began to sing -- and they sang as never before heard at Twin Creeks! The excitement was just incredible.</P>

The service also included "America the Beautiful" and "Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory," which everyone also sang with gusto, as Tay and Jessie provided moving and triumphant instrumental accompaniment. Finally, Dan sang a heartfelt and impassioned "Statue of Liberty" which just about brought down the house. There was not a dry eye in the church, so I'm told.</P>

When the preacher got up to preach, he hardly knew how to begin, but they say he preached a great sermon that day.</P>

Aunt Minnie and Yvonna quickly recovered. In fact, they were well enough to play for the evening service on July 6. It was back to the usual stuff, of course, "I'll Fly Away" and "Meet You in the Morning" and such. And has been the same the rest of July, so I'm told. But people are still talking about that grand and glorious service when Tay, Jessie, and Dan were in charge. I just wonder if this might stir up a desire in the church for a different kind of musical program in their worship services. We shall see. But for now, it's back to the same old stuff.</P>

I'll keep you posted.</P>

John</P>
    John
    ----------
    *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Re: News from Twin Creeks

I always enjoy the goings-on at Minnie and Yvonna's Church its a bit like a serialisation of a book - every so often we get another part of the tale.
    1971 Allen Organ TC-3S (#42904) w/sequential capture system.
    Speakers: x1 Model 100 Gyro, x1 Model 105 & x3 Model 108.

Comment

How interesting!</P>

No, it will be a very rare occassion for anything like this to happen at Twin Creeks Baptist. Then, so many churches wonder why they don't prosper or grow. They claim they want to, but yet the only way they accept anyone new is for them to sit quietly in the pews and put in some $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. They can not play, sing, etc. for any reason. </P>
      <P mce_keep="true"></P>

I will never forget the "hell" that was stirred up when I finally was able to play once or twice in the church I grew up in, and yes was even on the cradle roll list at that. One old lady made the remark that I played better than the other two who got up there and I ought to be the one playing all the time, and of coarse that didn't set well at all, and there were othertacky remarks made too.They were another churchwho was "striving" for 100 in SS.</P>

I wish I could have been introduced to the organ via another means beside church. I never saw so much hell roar in one church as that one, and to think they have one of the most beautiful physical plants as a total layout of buildings are often called. Now, the attendance is so poor that it has been said they don't know why they open the doors for evening services. </P>

Do keep us posted. These two old ladies are there from now on out. They sure got well in a hurry didn't they. I will add a bit since I am correcting my typos. Maybe they took a bottle of Pepto Bismol, or some Imodium. At least the organ got the soot blown out of it, and the piano could actually "sing." Such places as that really are as happy as piglets in sunshine, and they don't want any more people other than their own two, four and ten and no more.</P>
      <P mce_keep="true"></P>

James</P>
      Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
      Baldwin Spinet 58R
      Lowrey Spinet SCL
      Wurlitzer 4100A
      Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
      Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
      Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Comment

this sounds like it should be a HBO series. :)

Comment

I like news from Twin Creeks almost as much as from Lake Wobegon, out on the edge of the prairie (I was so tempted to quote Garrison Keillor in entirety there, but I'm an Ohioan, not a Minnesotan). I do hope that the "terrible threesome" will get to play Twin Creeks more often, it sounds like they were very well received. Did Yvonna's nail polish get in the way for Tay?

Comment

With all do respect to Yvonna, this is one of the reasons why the organ has become unpopular in some churches, in my opinion. They have barely heard anything of what an organ is capable of because only 10% or less of what it is capable of doing is what is being used, hence the utter shock and surprise, and the looking for where the "band" was coming from. They figure this is what all organs and organists must be like. It's no wonder some chuches switch to praise bands. We certainly have our homework to do! </P>

As an aside, I do like the alterables on the Allens and all those sound cards. If you're ever feeling a bit silly, you can put those sound cards in reverse or backwards. You'll get some pretty weird sounds!!! HA! HA! With the new Allens, being able to switch from Baroque to French Romantic to English, etc. is a real treat. </P>

There's just one problem with Yvonna which I have seen ina few churcheswhich shall not be named. Yvonna is a long standing organist and no offence intended, she's playing at just the right price....free. In other words, she is a volunteer, and probably a long standing volunteer at that. So, she's essentially got tenure. As a result, whoever is in charge of the church doesn't want to rock the boat or cause a storm. It doesn't matter even if J.S. Bach himself were to appear and dazzle the heck out of everyone, (which he most certainly would), Yvonna is there to stay and will do everything in her power and more to make sure that Bach never so much as even breathes on the manuals. (Exaggerated to make a point). So whoever is in chargeis stuck with this predicament,and willprobablylet sleepingdogs lie. Whenever Yvonna decides to "retire," (assuming that she will), if they do decide to get someone in there, and that person fires up that organ, they will get another heck of a shocker on what organs and music can do. But that person who takes the job, will have to undo everything that Yvonna did, face some unfair criticisms, plus have to deal with all ofthe bad habits the choir has picked up over the decades. Theremay besome dissention in the ranks even in the choir, specifically by those who are fans of Yvonna,who areused to and set in Yvonna's ways even though she has left, and will refuse to be open to any kind of change or growth.It doesn't matter how smalland careful the changes are made, they will say they want change, but then once they get it, they'll take two stepsback. So the new organist will be spending more time dealing with politics and being a cautious diplomat then actually being an organist. True, being a diplomat and dealing with politics is part of the job, but in this case, the workload will likely be very disproportionate, with the scales heavy on the political side. </P>
            <P mce_keep="true"></P>
            <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

[quote user="NYCFarmboy"]this sounds like it should be a HBO series. :)[/quote]The HBO version would haveone of the performersslipping Ex-Lax and Ipecac into Yvonna and Aunt Minnie's tea! [;)]

Reminds meof "All About Eve"...

Comment

ReedGuy, </P>

You said matters well here. It is just not Yvonna and Minnie's church that do these things it can be found most anywhere. I finally got my fill of crap in churches, and after an illness as well as dealing with complications from diabetes, I just suddenly found that I was no longer interested at all. Oh yes, a few almost stood on their heads, but I could care less.</P>

That mess I grew up in should have been on HBO since I am sure it would have been one of the most comical shows on TV. We either had funeral music or had the rumble boogie music. Even people in the church made fun of their music, and there was talk plenty of it behind certain ones back. It seems these small churches are nothing but cesspools of gossip which always end up in dissention of some kind as well as very hurt people who are even talented.</P>

When or if Yvonna retires she will criticize the next organist to no end. Her style of playing reminds me so vividly of the lady who played the C2 Hammond with one old monotone sound. She could have done just as well with a small chord organ from Sears. However, she guarded that Hammond organ with her life, but a few short years after I was led by God out of that situation, this lady suffered a severe bout with high blood pressure, and the next thing, she was flat just mentally ill. So God moved her out, and her precious organ slipped right through her fingers. What little she played after her tenure was just a fill in once in awhile.</P>

The one who played the rumble boogie music was all they had left so rumble boogie that old thing for the next 12+ years until she about molded over and arthur visited her fingers. By that time she had tried to play the same old songs so long that she actually could play accpetable. I went a few times just to see and hear.</P>
                <P mce_keep="true"></P>

James</P>
                Baldwin Spinet 58R
                Lowrey Spinet SCL
                Wurlitzer 4100A

Comment

soubasse32,</P>

Well you have a good thought going there for a HBO Serial. However, in reality God will make changes someday, and that someday may be sooner that Yvonna thinks. I am sure we will continue to enjoy hearing this saga from time to time.</P>

James</P>
                  Baldwin Spinet 58R
                  Lowrey Spinet SCL
                  Wurlitzer 4100A

Comment

Nice to see that Twin Creek Baptist Church Allen organ got to have a bit of an exercise on that day! I'm sure it was very happy to have parts of it aired which hadn't been for ages.</p>

It's a shame no affirmative action as a result was made by the church committee to review the music at the church to begin a process of getting a younger organist to work along Yvonna.
                    </p>

Comment

[quote user="Tenor Trumpet 8'"]

However, she guarded that Hammond organ with her life...</P>

James</P>

[/quote]</P>

For these people (who tend to be retired old ladies), this might perhaps be only (or one of the very few things) that keeps them active and have (they feel) a useful role in the community - rather than sitting in a rocking chair all day watching TV and watching the world go by. I can understand why such people might be so protective.</P>

On the other hand you've got to consider that little old ladies at their Hammonds might be better than nothing at all. You've got to wonder why they are doing in the first place - perhaps its the lack of interest in the younger generations to take up instruments like the organ and its fallen upon them to fill the role. So its pretty much them or nothing - particularly in rural Churches in the countryside where perhaps they are one of a handful of people who might be able to read music to a sufficient level in their village/town.</P>

Its often complained about how poorly they play etc. but I know I'd rather have them play than to never have any music in Church if they didn't. Stereotypical little old ladies playing Hammonds seem to be a staple of a lot of small Churches I come across, and I wonder what happens when that generation dies off...will a lot of Churches no longer have any music? Perhaps they'll be replaced with guitars and drums (which is the only two instruments young people seem to have an interest in these days) - yuk!</P>

We need some kind of drive to encourage young people to take up the organ. There simply isn't enough taking it up to fill the roles of those who are dying off, thus in my eyes I see the organ as a dying instrument. People like Cameron Carpenter really help the cause of the organ...doing tours to schools etc.</P>

I've gone off on a tangent...sorry, but I thought I would put my opinion across.</P>
                      1971 Allen Organ TC-3S (#42904) w/sequential capture system.
                      Speakers: x1 Model 100 Gyro, x1 Model 105 & x3 Model 108.

Comment

I know I'm not your typical American teenager, after all I play the organ (not exceedingly well, but I have plans for that to change a.k.a lessons) but I can't play the guitar (I don't know the chord formations), but I do play the banjo (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p77-F99iDs, it isn't the best, but was the best of about four takes[:P]).

I think that the LOL organists and their hammonds may not be the best thing, but it is better than most of the alternatives, praise bands and nothing at all.

I always enjoy updates from Twin Creeks.

Comment

Greg, I agreeit is a shame that no action was made by the church committee, but Yvonna has tenure and there will be too much upheaval if they try to find someone else. I will bet thatif and when Yvonna "retires," they will pin some grand award on her forsuch long standing volunteer service. This will also serve to make the new organist's jobeven harder.No younger organist will work along Yvonna because Yvonna will see that organist as a threat,be unwilling to work with that organist, and willloathe the mere presence of that organist.That young organist will feel miserable, leave, and take his/her pearls elsewhere. </P>

nullogik and Austin 766, I agree, it's better to have Yvonna than no one, or worse, a praise band. The only thing is, when the new person comes in, because of Yvonna, it will beone heck of an uphill battle for him/her. Old habits die really hard. The other thing is, I wonder how many people never come back because of the music. You're right, we reallyneed to pull our socks up when it comes to"evangelizing" the organ. But I thinkin addition to other things, it is our duty as organists to be knowledgeable and gracious professionals who promote our instrument as best as we can, whenever we can. </P>

With all do respect, one of the reasons my generation and younger don't go for the organ is threefold. I have a lot of experience working with children. Most of their parents listen to anything but classical music (that's all they know), so if the children get a steady diet of gangster rap or whatever else, you can bet they will learn to not like Mozart and even cringe at the mention of his name. I see this first hand with my niece. And this will continue on with the next generation, and so the cycle goes until someone somewhere breaks the cycle. But it's much easier to break the cycle when they are children than when they are teenagers because teenagers get set in their opinions, etc. Television doesn't help either. I saw a Walt Disney movie with a young lad playing on a tracker with a band. I thought, "Finally, some fair exposure about the organ." Guess what? The camera moved to the center of attention which was the band, specifically the drummer. Everyone was cheering for him, going crazy, and the one playing the organ was just somewhere lost in the background. I turned off the TV in disgust. (TV has been responsible for a lot of unfortunate things, but that's another kettle of fish altogether). Now, what message is this saying? Think of all the television shows like Hannah Montana. We see her singing in a rock band, not playing Chopin on the piano. Our children our continuously being conditioned and exposed to rock, pop, and rap. The parents are doing the same. Church attendance is in decline which also reduces exposure to the organ. If one of these folksdecides to go church shopping and hears Yvonna, this will paint a picture in their minds about chuches, music, organs and organists, reagrdless of how unrealistic and unfair this picture is andwill probablynever come back. They'll either not come to church, or be taken by the Six FlagsMega church and just become a face in a crowd. It is no wonder then that we as organists are facing an uphill battle. </P>

This is why my son is exposed to classical music as much as possible, sees me play, my wife sing, goes to the art gallery, botanical gardens, visits churches with me, prays with us, etc. I have to do this while he is still young or he will be assimilated into the pop culture. I didn't get assimilated and lost in pop culture because people in my life as a child made the effort to culture me. Now it is my duty to do the same. </P>

Don't get me wrong. I am not out to rip apart a Mega church, Yvonna, etc. I only wish to illustrate one of the many factors which have placed the organ and organists in a state of decline in certain situations. </P>
                          <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

I did mention little old ladies because I have been in other situations where they were little old ladies and their Hammond. However, the one who was inept as an organistsuch as Yvonna was not an old lady. She was in her 30's, and the other one who could play a mighty fine boogie was in her 50's. Their attitude becomes that God is helpless without them. Of coarse in many cases they are the only ones who can play, and if that is what the people who go there want to put up with then more power to them. Young people can find something better for themselves than hang around in a situation that is never going anywhere for them.</P>

There are all kinds of reasons for anything under the sun including what we believe in when it comes to religion. I think if someone wants to play there are churches on every few corners in the good old USA, and it is best to leave a place where you can make your own way. There is often a lot of stress involved with church music, and the younger generation are not going to put up with such as that. They are going to play only what they are interested in, and yes, I see it as a shame myself, but the organ is just about a thing of the past in many smaller churches. Young people are going to play guitars, beat the hell out of a set of drums, and clonk around on the electric piano, also some even blow horns. those of us who have reached a mature age see the new coming and most of what we have known as traditional is going by the wayside. Apparently the small church where Minnie and Yvonna play are just one more of many who have very small attendance. There are a good number of people who don't know the organ can make other sounds all they know is someone plays for us, and they get used to their playing. No wonder that bunch thought a band had been acquired to visit them that July AM.</P>

I do recall that it was mentioned that a young man was in that church who was talented, and my advice to him is to begin a search around of his own to find a place toplayand do his own "Yvonna" thing. He will never have a chance there for darned sure.</P>

I find it interesting that the church where Yvonna plays has an Allen. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ does things in churches!. I have yet to find a church committee who will try to place a young person into a situation to be an upcoming musician. For example, some hell was raised because I as young person was practicing on the church organ, and the director of music was my public school band director. He did nothing to encourage me at the church whatsoever.</P>

So the saga of Yvonna goes on and on. I find it so interesting! </P>

James</P>
                            Baldwin Spinet 58R
                            Lowrey Spinet SCL
                            Wurlitzer 4100A

Comment

[quote user="ReedGuy"]

Greg, I agreeit is a shame that no action was made by the church committee, but Yvonna has tenure and there will be too much upheaval if they try to find someone else. I will bet thatif and when Yvonna "retires," they will pin some grand award on her forsuch long standing volunteer service. This will also serve to make the new organist's jobeven harder.No younger organist will work along Yvonna because Yvonna will see that organist as a threat,be unwilling to work with that organist, and willloathe the mere presence of that organist.That young organist will feel miserable, leave, and take his/her pearls elsewhere. </P>
                              <P mce_keep="true"></P>
                              <P mce_keep="true"></P>

[/quote]</P>

This is exactly the way it would be if a young organist expressed an interest in playing at Twin Creeks. </P>
                              <P mce_keep="true"></P>

James</P>
                              Baldwin Spinet 58R
                              Lowrey Spinet SCL
                              Wurlitzer 4100A

Comment

Working...
                              X