This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My AGO Improv Competition Recording

If anyone's interested in hearing the two improvs done for the AGO improv competition in Minneapolis, here they are! I was one of 5 chosen to compete at the convention this year after passing the tape round; unfortunately I was not able to travel to the convention.</p>

A little explanation - we came in and set up all the equipment, powered up the organ etc. first, and then I was ushered into a room far away from any musical instruments. I was then given two sheets of paper, each with a theme in treble clef. The first turned out to be the hymn tune Von Himmel Hoch, and the second was a free theme. I had 30 minutes to study the themes. The hymn tune had to be in the form of a chorale and variation, and you had to make up the harmonization for the chorale. All registrations done on the fly. I decided to use mainly the first couple bars as the basis and structured it in this order:</p>

I. Chorale
    II. Scherzo
    III. (slow movementy thing)
    IV. Final and Chorale reprise
    </p>

The free movement turned out to be 16 bars of straight quarter notes with a couple half notes thrown in, so it was kind of a challenge making something out of that. </p>

Disclaimer/warning/flame bait: This recording makes use of digitally-reproduced stops. Listen at your own risk!! and turn your speakers up!
    </p>

Re: My AGO Improv Competition Recording

very good humor sir</P>

Disclaimer/warning/flame bait: This recording makes use of digitally-reproduced stops. Listen at your own risk!! and turn your speakers up!
    </P>

Comment

i try

Comment

Comment

You are every bit the organist I wish I was, Mr. Kalnoske. My hat's off to you, sir, for your improv recordings...they're both truely outstanding pieces of music! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Comment

Working...
          X