Giving Thanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving Thanks

I'll be busy tomorrow so I want to say thanks for this forum and the many kindnesses shown by its members.
    Floyd

Floyd,

I'll follow up by thanking the Forum for everything it has provided me: Friends of all types, advice, professional challenges (musical & technical), and the ability for me to work on my own instruments with more confidence. Thank you all!

As a follow-up in this time of illness, I should thank my ancestors for paving the way for me to have what I have, and do what I do. One of my relatives preached the first recorded/written/published sermon in the Plymouth Colony on December 12, 1621 after 50% of them died the first year (Covid, eat your heart out!). Topic: The Sin and Danger of Self-Love (1 Cor. 10:24–Let no man seek his own, but every man another’s wealth.) As we all know, the Native tribes lost most of their populations, both before and after the arrival of the Mayflower. We have no idea what suffering so many deaths is like.

I offered to preach my many-times great grandfather's sermon this past Sunday to our church, but passed up on reading his 20-page sermon! His son (another grandfather) became the ruling elder in the Plymouth church for 42 years, and died in his 90s. Another female relative was a spy during the Civil War for the North, and played a vital role in the conflict. Others were legislators, soliciters, actors/actresses, cleared farms, and founded towns in the wilderness of New England.

Then there's the Native ancestry through grandparents in both the North and South. My father & mother instilled in me the value of showing respect for the earth & environment, and as a farmer, the lessons of preserving the earth provided for my parents and us! We learned to use what we harvested (game, fish, cattle, & crops), and to use everything with as little waste as possible. Consequently, I'm equally comfortable in the wilderness as well as on the stage.

We have life easier than we've ever had before, and those comforts are, in no small way, the direct result of our ancestors' work and sacrifice for their young. My father often said we can earn as much money as we want, but we came into this world with nothing and will leave with nothing. The only thing that will last is the difference we've made in others' lives.

The best thanks we can give our ancestors is to leave the family name better than when we were born. So, tomorrow we take in strays with no families near (like us) and celebrate together. To our friends across the pond–thanks for giving the US freedom so many centuries ago!😉 For our friends from the North–a belated Happy Thanksgiving this past October. To everyone else across the world–you need a holiday like this so you can go off your weight-loss plan more than once a year!😜

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

There is much to be thankful for, even in these trying times. I will do my best to focus on the good things!
      John
      ----------
      *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Just think of that house you found in SL, MO!

Michael

I am thankful for many things. One of them is this Forum, which has provided me a lot of enjoyment and education. (And where else could I get anyone interested in my Tone Card spreadsheets? 😎😎)

David

Comment

Yes, the forum is definitely something I am grateful for. I have met lots of great people, learned lots of great stuff, and was able to build my own VPO with the forum's help. Thank you to Admin for keeping it up!

Wishing everybody on the forum a happy Thanksgiving filled with blessings of family, friends, and most importantly (😉) food!
        ​​​​
        Philip
        “I play the notes as they are written (well, I try), but it is God who makes the music.” - Johann Sebastian Bach
        Organs I Play:
        - Home: VPO Compiled from Allen 2110 parts
        - Church: M.P. Moller 1951 (Relocated 2015) 3 manual, 56 stop, 38 ranks (Opus 8152)

Comment

Working...
        X