How much to ship it to Africa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much to ship it to Africa?

I have a surplus Yamaha FX-20. I mentioned that fact in one of the Facebook groups, Yamaha Electone Club group.
    A gentlemen from Nairobi Kenya messaged me, He wants it, we exchanged emails, I laid down the ground rules.
    He contacted Craters and Freighters in Indianapolis for a quote. Very reputable concern known worldwide.
    https://www.cratersandfreighters.com/

Bottom line: $2945.
    I drop the organ off at their facility in Indianapolis, they crate it, insure it, get it to their whse agent in Nairobi, Kenya.
    He will have to pick it up there.
    Do not know if he can swallow that number, we will see.
    Shipping costs get kicked around here frequently enough. FYI.
    Current inventory.
    Yamaha HX-1, FX-20,Hammond Colonnade w/ Leslie 720, Hammond CX-3000
    Roland AT-90SLW, Technics SX- FN3(2), Technics SX-FA1,F100 Yamaha Tyros 5, PSR 910.

Once it gets to Kenya, there will likely be additional costs, such as duty and last mile courier.

-------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
    Leslie 147 #F7453.
    Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

It will be interesting to hear about how this all will work out. I'm thinking about several things that make this a real undertaking - on both ends. The buyer must REALLY want an FX-20, but then I suppose not many (any ?) new ones ever went to Kenya, so they have to be rare in that locale. I wonder just how long the shipping process will take, with ocean freight so screwed up these days. It's good you won't need to concern yourself with all the transportation details, beyond getting it to the craters shop. However you handle payment for the organ, you should probably be certain the funds are actually in your bank well before delivering it, just to make sure there is no funny business on that front. It is very nice of you to be doing this though, as not many people would even consider bothering with a deal like this. Keep us posted please.
      Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2 ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755. 1919 Wangerin 2/7 pipe organ.

Comment

Yes, it is interesting, thanks! A lot of scams originate from Africa, so it’s actually encouraging to hear of a potential authentic buyer. Having dealt with shipping to third world countries before (Mexico), it’s not uncommon for large items to get stuck in customs for months or years, or for any item to be stolen, and so delayed indefinitely, and there may need to be customs payments outside of whatever is quoted to get it released, and/or someone physically on the ground to go enquire about the item, so that has to be kept in mind. Personally I would require the party to pay Craters and Freighters directly and have the payment confirmed before the item is delivered. Once dropped of, getting it returned from Kenya will probably be impossible, so the buyer should understand there’s no returns, and no guarantee they will ever get it. Still I agree it’s very good of you to try this. The potential frustration would be beyond my capacity.

Current: Allen 225 RTC, W. Bell reed organ, Lowrey TGS, Singer upright grand
        Former: Yamaha E3R
        https://www.exercisesincatholicmythology.com

Comment

In my experience Craters and Freighters will arrange the whole operation from end to end. They will collect and crate the instrument, book trucking to the relevant US port, book the shipping company and the clearance agent in the destination country. The clearance agent will handle local collection of any duty/tax due and will then book a last mile trucker/courier at a mutually agreed time.

In my case I, as both the consignor (shipper) and consignee, deal directly with C&F. The seller need only wait for a call from C&F to arrange a convenient pick-up time.

If I were to agree to ship an organ to someone in Kenya, then I'd be willing to obtain a quote and walk them through the process, but would want them to deal with C&F directly when it came to payment. For exports, C&F require payment from a US-based bank or an international wire transfer.
          -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
          Leslie 147 #F7453.
          Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

If you agree and close this deal GET YOUR MONEY FIRST - ALL OF IT!
            Nico
            "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request... B-)

Comment

Not much to update at this time.
              Some of the ground rules I laid out to the purchaser was
              1. He had to contact whatever freight company he wanted to complete the move. I specified Indianapolis because I was unwilling to go into Chicago.
              He chose Craters and Freighters a reputable firm.
              2. He was responsible for payment to Craters and Freighters. My only responsibility was to drop it off there.
              3. The deal expires after 30 days.
              He has had the information on the quote since my first post on April 20. So far no word from him.
              I don't know for certain, but I think this fellow is in the legal profession there, and involved with his church. This purchase may be for them.
              Current inventory.
              Roland AT-90SLW, Technics SX- FN3(2), Technics SX-FA1,F100 Yamaha Tyros 5, PSR 910.

Comment

Latest update. I got an email on Wednesday 5/04/2022 from Craters and Freighters that the customer said it was a go.
                I dropped off the instrument at their dock in Indianapolis on 05/05/2022. Here is their crew inspecting it and listing any defects, which would be typical for a 40 year old organ.
                Customer has to pay in full before they will crate it. I asked them to notify me when that happens and supply a tracking number.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	fx-20 Kenya.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	468.8 KB
ID:	799383
                Current inventory.

Comment

• Larrytow
                  Larrytow commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What is it with organ benches ? It seems like quite a lot of them get separated from the organs they belong to, before they get offered. The FX-20 I have here Also did not have the original Yamaha bench with it !

• gtc
                  gtc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What is it with organ benches ?
                  From my experience, it is mainly women who re-purpose benches as occasional tables, bed-end whatevers, etc. Sometimes the bench has never been used with the organ with the player preferring a standard chair, and the bench ends up who-knows-where.

A nasty stunt pulled by some eBay sellers is to list the bench in a separate ad.

• Larason2
                  Larason2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It’s too bad, but it’s true organ benches are very useful for a large spectrum of non-organ related uses. My Lowrey bench is currently being used to support a fish tank! It’s actually the perfect size and height, and I currently use my work stool when I play the Lowrey. The plan is to get a better fish tank support and to reunite them someday though!

That looks like a very nice organ. I am pleased that it has developed so far. Good luck and I hope the buyer will appreciate a nice Yamaha specimen.
                Nico
                "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request... B-)

Comment

Update 05/20/2022
                  Craters and Freighters decided to package the instrument so it would not get damaged awaiting payment. As of this date they are still waiting for the money, so it is in their whse in Indianapolis where I dropped it off.
                  Current inventory.

Comment

I'm sorta thinking out-loud here : They must have some sort of decent confirmation that they will actually get paid. Otherwise they will have spent time and money building a crate on speculation. They seem to have a good stockpile of lumber and plywood, and those materials are expensive these days, so I kinda doubt they would take a chance on wasting it if the deal does not finalize. I would not think a company who does this type of shipping would rely on someones word only. Particularly someone from Africa, with all the scams that come from that part of the world. It just seems strange, but there may be more details that they are not telling you.
                    Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2 ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755. 1919 Wangerin 2/7 pipe organ.

Comment

I guess this is because you delivered it to them as opposed to their having to collect it. In the latter case, I expect they would only schedule the collection once their invoice had been paid.

Regarding the payment, perhaps the buyer is having trouble wiring the payment. Some African countries have strict control over currency leaving the country. In any case, a responsible buyer should keep C&F abreast of what's happening, especially now that it's 3 weeks since you delivered it to C&F. Meanwhile, C&F is being quite responsible by protecting the instrument.

Hopefully you won't have to make a return trip to cart it back home.

Afterthought: How did 'Mr Kenya' pay you for the FX-20? If he is having difficulty arranging a wire transfer to C&F, perhaps he can pay you the amount owing to C&F and then you could remit to C&F via US credit card, US check or US bank deposit.
                      Last edited by gtc; 05-21-2022, 11:43 PM.
                      -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
                      Leslie 147 #F7453.
                      Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

• beyerjf
                        beyerjf commented
                        Editing a comment
                        to the afterthought.
                        One of the ground rules was I would not get involved in payment/logistics for the freight at all. That would be ripe for scam. I told him I would drop it off in Indianapolis. He choose the carrier. I used that as one of the "tests" to see if he was serious.

Since I got the organ for nothing, removed the optional disc drive and transferred to another FX-20 I have, the instrument has served it's purpose for me. My deal with Mr Kenya is when the instrument arrives in Kenya for him to transfer to me $200 via Paypal. I suffer NO illusions that will actually occur. This is sort of an experiment in human nature and trust.

• gtc
                        gtc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        OK, so you haven't been paid either. Sounds like game over, I guess.
                    Working...
                    X