Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for an Assistant

Hey Forum,

I am becoming the acting interim director of music and organist at my parish next week and am looking for an assistant. I've made one contact in the area but he isn't sure he'd like to do it. I've called all the people, searched through the AGO things but to no avail. So I was just wondering if anybody happened to know of an organist around here (Seattle area). Thanks.

Philip
    [B]"I play the notes as they are written (well, I try), but it is God who makes the music." [/B]- Johann Sebastian Bach
    Organs I Play:
    - Home: VPO Compiled from Allen 2110 parts
    - Church: M.P. Moller 1951 (Relocated 2015) 3 manual, 56 stop, 38 ranks (Opus 8152)

Phillip, Congratulations on your promotion ! From what I have heard in your postings, you certainly deserve it. As to your problem of finding an assistant, I can't be of any help unfortunately. I know only 2 people that live in the Seattle area, and neither of them are organists. But, congratulations once again.

I would think the organ "scene" in your area would have a good assortment of people to do fill-in jobs, even if no one is looking for a regular gig. Summer is always tough to even find fill-ins of course, with vacations and the like. I wish you good luck in your search.
    Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2 ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755. 1919 Wangerin 2/7 pipe organ.

Comment

• Philip Powell
      Philip Powell commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, that is true but ECLA is way, way out there. We would still call SSPX folks Catholics (we'd just say they're slightly schismatic) but ECLA are Lutherans, not Catholics.

• Larrytow
      Larrytow commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry all, it was late, I was / still am worn out, and I did not use very precise terminology in that note about ELCA and the RC denominations, and their amount of cooperation in matters like these. I can explain in another post what I have understood the situation to be, and "communion" is certainly Not what I intended to mean. It may be a day or so till I get to it though.

What I mainly was trying to say is that Lutherans ( no matter which of our many synods / flavors you consider ) tend to use a very complete liturgy with all the traditional elements that comprise it. So most Lutheran organists are quite familiar with "high church" traditional liturgical service playing, and could play for RC services without having a "culture shock" situation.

We had some very big storms here Tuesday and Wed, and I've been doing a LOT of after storm cleanup work here in my village. Also, we had no electric power for 37 & 1/2 hours ! One forgets sometimes just how reliant we are on having electric service 24 / 7.

• Philip Powell
      Philip Powell commented
      Editing a comment
      @Larrytwo Ah, I understand what you mean - I agree as well. Sorry to hear about the storms! Hope everybody is safe.

Originally posted by Philip Powell View Post
    and am looking for an assistant.
    Philip,

Perhaps you aren't being precise enough in your request. What is the role of the assistant? Is it paid or unpaid? What sort of knowledge would an assistant need to have? As far as I know, you may need someone to help tie your shoes, maybe a registrant, or maybe a librarian?

Also, have you overlooked teens in your church? Often you can find an aspiring musician who would be willing to help out, and that help would be free.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

myorgan, good point. Here is a list of stuff they would need to do. I wouldn't be against a fellow teen helping out but there's really nobody at the level that we would be comfortable playing at Mass (I refuse to make the Mass a practice session).

- Play the Saturday 5 PM and/or Sunday 5 PM Mass with cantor (30 minute rehearsal before)
      - $125 a call + travelling fees
      - Repertoire usually includes 3 hymns, prelude, postlude, and a bunch of accompanied chant.
      - Must be comfortable accompanying Gregorian chant (this is a big thing since it would be new to non-Catholic or even some Catholic organists)
      - Receives music from Music Director the Wednesday before

Fortunately, I have learned to tie my own shoes (I won't tell you when I figured out how to though).

Philip
      [B]"I play the notes as they are written (well, I try), but it is God who makes the music." [/B]- Johann Sebastian Bach
      Organs I Play:
      - Church: M.P. Moller 1951 (Relocated 2015) 3 manual, 56 stop, 38 ranks (Opus 8152)

Comment

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Philip,

Thank you for the clarification. That will help others help you much better.

Michael

• Larrytow
        Larrytow commented
        Editing a comment
        About the shoe tying thing : That's why I don't have Organmasters - they don't make Slip Ons !

• Philip Powell
        Philip Powell commented
        Editing a comment
        @Larrytwo They actually sell the rubber "laces" you can insert to make them slip-ons. Both of my pairs use them even though I don't use my pairs (hope that makes sense).

@Phillip Powell, a few things occurred to me today ( while chainsawing fallen trees, dragging them out of buildings, etc ) :

1, I have to check out the rubber laces - I had no idea those were made ! Organmasters has them ?

2, There are indeed Two Larrys that post here pretty regularly, but my username is Larry"TOW", as I am retired from owning a towing and recovery service. No big deal really; I just thought you might want to know the origin of such a strange username on a musical forum, where it does not seem to fit with the subjects at hand.

3, I'm a lifelong Lutheran, and try to keep sorta informed about all the various synods in our tent, and how playing the organ for other denominations and / or synods is is perceived by both the official doctrines of the different ones, and by the organists themselves. In short, it varies - a lot ! However, I don't feel this the right place for me to say much about that topic, in the interest of not irritating anyone. If you want to discuss why I think an ELCA organist ( and some other synods ) might possibly work as a temporary idea for you, feel free to PM me with your e-mail.
      Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2 ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755. 1919 Wangerin 2/7 pipe organ.

Comment

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting, Philip. How do the laces work in keeping the shoe on the foot under heavy use? I'm thinking about when I go to the extremity of the pedalboard, and whether the laces would allow the shoe to "rotate" or come out of place on the foot. Should we move these posts regarding the elastic laces to one of the "organ shoes" threads?

Michael

• Philip Powell
        Philip Powell commented
        Editing a comment
        Michael, I agree we should probably move this discussion to a shoe post, but if you get rubber "laces" that are short enough to really pull on the sides of the shoe, it fits snug even through crazy runs. (I think this is what you're talking about.) I learned that smaller is better the hard way (and lost a whole $6!)

• SchnarrHorn
        SchnarrHorn commented
        Editing a comment
        That is interesting. What will they think of next!!

George

You might want to contact the Seattle AGO placement officer.

Comment

• Philip Powell
        Philip Powell commented
        Editing a comment
        I've contacted every AGO chapter in the state - no help there. ?

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        That doesn't surprise me. Try colleges and other churches–who knows? Don't forget, many students declare a major, but many choose a minor in music, so don't limit yourself to music programs.

Michael

Philip, are you expecting the candidate to improvise an accompaniment to the chant or use a published accompaniment? I suspect that one who can improvise chant accompaniment and do it reasonably well so it isn't a distraction but only a support to the choir/cantor, would be pretty rare these days.

George
      My instrument: Allen MDS-65 with a New Century Zimbelstern
      Former instruments (RIP): Allen ADC 420; Conn Minuet 542

Comment

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        True, Philip. However you may need to settle for something less on your list. Not that you're looking for that, but even in large metropolitan areas, the good organists are probably already taken. You may even have to settle for {gasp} a piano player (Michael ducks).

When I was in the Dayton area in the 1980s/1990s, there were 24 churches looking for an organist. A couple even changed the time of their service so I could play. Of course, it made it inconvenient on Sundays, but I only had to work one day a week, and could spend the other 6 days for the 24 credit hours I had scheduled every trimester!

Michael

• Philip Powell
        Philip Powell commented
        Editing a comment
        Michael, I would play 8 times a day before we hire a incompetent pianist to play at the most holy Mass. Just hoping we find somebody competent if not really good.

• SchnarrHorn
        SchnarrHorn commented
        Editing a comment
        Philip,
        If I lived by you, I'd give you a hand. Accompanied chant (using music, not improv), Traditional Latin Mass, 40 Hours, Benediction, etc. I'm somewhat competent, not good. hahahaha

George

My one good lead declined since he plays Saturday evening across the water in Seattle ?. Oh well, at least I'll be making money with the extra Masses.

Philip
      Organs I Play:

Comment

Working...
      X