My church on Google View

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My church on Google View

My 12th century village church, to which I have retired, is on Google view. You can move around and see the decorations for the Queen's Platinum Jubilee celebrations - we're in the UK, of course.
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...!1BCgIgARICGAI
    Last edited by Peterboroughdiapason; 06-22-2022, 10:31 AM.

Nice big open wood. Or is that Big Boom and Little Boom.

Comment

Very nice. I haven't seen many of those 360-degree rotatable perspective images on Google map info, and those were very well done.
      -- Hi, I'm Lamar -- Allen TC-4 Classic project -- 1899 Kimball, 1999 Rodgers W5000C, Roland DS-61/88, FA-06, VR-09B, 1975 Conn 643, 1959 Hammond M3, 1965 E112, and 1963 L-102, several melodicas

Comment

Beautiful church!!! It's all very nice, but the one thing that stuck out to me is that awesome baptismal font.

George
        My instrument: Allen MDS-65 with a New Century Zimbelstern
        Former instruments (RIP): Allen ADC 420; Conn Minuet 542

Comment

Originally posted by aeolian pat View Post
          Nice big open wood. Or is that Big Boom and Little Boom.
          Just big boom! There is only one pedal stop: "grand open diapason": https://www.npor.org.uk/NPORView.html?RI=D01670

It's a very small and limited instrument (especially since the Swell is missing the bottom octave - though borrows the bottom notes from the great Stopped. Diapason. It's a very fine JW Walker, though, and untouched since it was built in 1865. (The lever swell was, thank goodness, replaced with a balanced swell pedal at some stage.

Comment

Where does the spiral staircase go? Seems odd placement for such an item.

Comment

Originally posted by Piperdane View Post
              Where does the spiral staircase go? Seems odd placement for such an item.
              It goes up to the bell ringing chamber.

Comment

What a wonderful church!
                John
                ----------
                *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

• myorgan
                  myorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  John,

Worth a side trip while you're in England?

Michael

John, There are hundreds of churches like this in England - even the tiniest hamlets had them. Sadly, many of them have tiny congregations and it's so hard for them to maintain these ancient buildings. The Church of England just can't afford them so, lovely as they are, we'd be much better meeting in a modern building or hall.

It would be good to meet you if you're in England.

Stephen

Comment

Thanks for the offer, Stephen. I've sent you a PM about our itinerary, and perhaps we can meet.

I do love the village churches, and we always check out the church when touring any village. One of our favorites is St Mary's in Thirsk, which seems to be quite active still. I even got to try out the newly-renovated organ last time we were there!

The Episcopal Church we have joined here in St Louis was modeled after an English church, and it was the look of it in part that drew us to visit and eventually join. Here are pics of our little English village church right here in the states!

Click image for larger version

Name:	bishopshospitalityworkshop.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	802036Click image for larger version

Name:	yhwh-complete-full-view.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	802037Click image for larger version

Name:	exterior_orig.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	802038
                  John
                  ----------
                  *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

Comment

As intimated above, we DID get to visit with Stephen (Peterboroughdiapason) while in England. The church at King's Cliffe is even more impressive than the pictures. We had a wonderful time that day, got to see three churches -- Peterborough Cathedral, a smaller church in Peterborough (St John's?), and the village church at King's Cliffe. Even tried out the organ at two of these, though as usual I couldn't even think of anything to do except play some chords and scales. We also got to see his VPO setup, which is amazing and holds several truly wonderful sample sets, including the wondrous Hereford Willis.

When we stopped for lunch at his beautiful home, we got to meet his sweet dog Lauren, and she and I were immediately taken with one another!
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Lauren.jpg Views:	20 Size:	119.9 KB ID:	806405
                  Last edited by myorgan; 09-13-2022, 03:10 PM.
                  John
                  ----------

Comment

• myorgan
                    myorgan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    How could you resist that face, John?!!!

Michael

• Peterboroughdiapason
                    Peterboroughdiapason commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It was great to meet you both, John. We're up in the Lake District and the chur h has to do without me for two weeks!

I'm jealous, John. Sounds like a great trip and what a sweet dog.

Comment

Working...
                  X