Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MP3s of my former pipe organ for your listening enjoyment...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP3s of my former pipe organ for your listening enjoyment...

For anyone whose interested, I've got4 MP3 music filesup on my website of the pipe organ my dad built forour home back in '83 (sadly, now sold). The recording isn't the best quality soundwise, but you get the idea of what19 rankssounded like. The organ was "played" by a computer sequencerperforming MIDI music files I arranged and edited myself (since I'm not an organist). The MIDI files weren't totally refined yet, but my dad wanted to record the organ up to that point so his friends could hear what it was capable of.</P>

http://www.freewebs.com/jt1stcav/myorganmusic.htm</P>

You can also click on my sig's banner belowand see the entire site,or see the organ pages only. If y'all are up to it, comments are certainly welcome.</P>

FWIW...enjoy![8]</P>

Re: MP3s of my former pipe organ for your listening enjoyment...

WOW...what amazing recordings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thank you very much, John!</P>

If you don't mind me asking, what precisely"is" amazing about them? The technique used in the editing and arrangements of the MIDI files, the registration changes, or the actualorgan itself? Soundwise, the DATrecording is flat and dull due to a lower than normal recording level; the organ was much brighter sounding than the recording suggests.</P>

How I wish you could've heard the finely tuned MIDI files of Widor's Toccata, Franck's Grande Piece Symphonique, and others that never got recorded at all! Those music files I literally spent months on, mulling over each measure once,then twice (while listening to several different CDs for different playing techniques), going over and re-editingnote durations and tempo changes to make these performances more "human" feeling during playback.</P>

When I listen to your MP3s on your site (I'm listening to Saint-Saens' Dance Bachenelle as I write this), I miss our modest instrument even more! You're truely a lucky man...don't ever sell your pipe organ(s)!</P>

Comment

the fidelity..that DAT did a great job!!! and the lack of blower noise..wow....I'm in the process of changing out one blower and installing a muffler on another to get things "quieted down" on my home organ..it will be so nice (I HOPE) to be able to turn on the organ and it not sound like someone is running a vaccuum cleaner in my back bedroom (small house so the noise travels thru out the house very well unfortunately).

A home pipe organ is a joy..and a beast to deal with/install, but so amazing once it is all running. I'm still in shock at how the additions to my 5 rank instrument have made it so orchestral..so I guess at 21 ranks I'm near what you were at?

Comment

Really? The DAT recording would've sounded so much better IMO if the recording level was adjusted at its optimum higher setting, but my dad (being reared on analog cassette and reel-to-reel decks) felt safer by avoiding any distortion altogether by keeping the levels low, and it doesn't workquite the sameway on digital recorders...the organ's higher frequencies are muddied and dull in the recording as opposed to how the instrument sounded in the room live.</P>

I don't know if you read the Organ Page on my site...there's a brief description on how my dad installed the organ and what he did with the blower situation he had (replacing an old, huge and noisy1/2hp Spencer with a new, quiet1hp Laukhuff). He built a blower box for it out of 3/4" plywood and insulated the inner walls, and you could barely hear it operating even inside the chamber where it was situated; in the living room the blower was virtually undetectable! You can see pics of the blower box on page 2 of the Organ Gallery page:</P>

http://www.freewebs.com/jt1stcav/myorgangallery.htm</P>

And you're right...more ranks give you the option of greater compositions to perform. More voices give you far greater range in flexibilities in registration, especially with straight ranks as opposed to unified ranks borrowed over and over again. It was nice having2 ranks of mutations as well. See the stoplist near the bottom of the page if interested:</P>

http://www.freewebs.com/jt1stcav/myorganpage.htm</P>

Comment

Working...
          X