• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• davidecasteel
    replied
    Re: Is this our stefanussen?

[quote user="radagast"][quote user="davidecasteel"]

Well, I listened to about a half dozen renditions and yours was by far the best! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Our organist plays it quite well, too. It's one of my favorites. I also listened to your "Now Thank We All Our God" and it was great!</P>

(You do mean "it's I" don't you?) []</P>

David</P>

[/quote]</P>

Isn't "I" supposed to be used when it is the subject, not the object, of a sentence? If so, then "me" is correct.</P>

[/quote]</P>

"Is" is a linking verb and cannot take an object. In this case, "I" is what is called a predicate nominative. I was slightly mistaken in my original question--I should have referenced "That's I" instead of "It's I", but the principle is the same in both cases since the implied verb (by the "'s") is the word "is". By the same reasoning, when folks say "That's them" they really should say "Those are they".</P>

I wasn't trying to be critical, and really intended only to pull his chain a little. But since you responded I thought I'd better give a fuller explanation. Although I have 2 engineering degrees, I did consider becoming an English teacher when I graduated from college.</P>

Just to throw out something else that often is misunderstood, the proper use of the word "ain't" is almost unknown. (Yes, there is a "proper" use of the word.) "Ain't" is actually the contraction for "am not" and so it is grammatical (though colloquial) to say "I ain't"; however, it is inappropriate with any subject other than "I".</P>

David</P>

Leave a comment:

• telemanr
    replied

[quote user="radagast"][quote user="davidecasteel"]

David</P>

[/quote]</P>

Isn't "I" supposed to be used when it is the subject, not the object, of a sentence? If so, then "me" is correct.</P>

[/quote]</P>

The verb "to be" of which "is" is a form, is a copula verb and thus does not take an object but rather a subjective completion. Therefore, the subjective form "I" rather than the objective form "me"is correct.</P>

How's that for pomposity! (but it's also true). </P>

Rob</P>

Leave a comment:

• radagast
    replied

[quote user="Stefanussen"]Hi David! Yep, that's me []
    [/quote]</P>

What are you using for manuals and pedals? It looks like Classic Organ Works from Canada.</P>

Bill</P>

Leave a comment:

• radagast
    replied

[quote user="davidecasteel"]

Well, I listened to about a half dozen renditions and yours was by far the best! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Our organist plays it quite well, too. It's one of my favorites. I also listened to your "Now Thank We All Our God" and it was great!</P>

David</P>

[/quote]</P>

Leave a comment:

• Stefanussen
    replied

Yes, that was me, I used to own www.tabernacleorgan.com until I let it expire many years ago and it has been snatched up by one of those cyber squatting companies.

Leave a comment:

• sesquialtera16
    replied

[quote user="Stefanussen"]Hi David! Yep, that's me []
    [/quote]</P>

http://elliottrl.tripod.com/links.html</P>

Is this organforums own Stefanussen?</P>

Leave a comment:

• soubasse32
    replied

Ah... spoken by that fellow who looks exactly like Cameron Carpenter. []

Leave a comment:

• Jason E
    replied

[quote user="Stefanussen"]

As for celebrities I may resemble, it must just be that picture, because 9 times out of 10 I am told I look like Keanu Reeves []
    </p>

[/quote]</p>

And we trust you're taking that as the highest complement...
    </p>

Leave a comment:

• Austin766
    replied

The organist hearing something very different from the listeners is pretty common, especially on larger installations, like Wanamaker, where the organist(s) reportedly play by the keyclicks and don't listen to the sound from the organ itself while playing. I wonder if that kind of thing holds true for Riverside and/or St Bart's. Of course, I'd love to play eiter one, even Cleveland Municipal (Skinner op.328) actually Cleveland Muni would be really neat, because, frankly it never gets played, which isn't good for an organ, they need to be played if they are going to remain in good condition.

Leave a comment:

• Stefanussen
    replied

Hi David,</p>

It must have been thrilling to be able to be a fly on the wall (or perhaps an active participant) during the installation of a new pipe organ. Organ building has always fascinated me. What kind of music program do you have there? If you happen to film a noteworthy organ recital, be sure to put it up on YouTube if you can!</p>

The Tabernacle organ is a thrilling organ to play. The strings IMHO are the highlight of the organ. Quiet stringy pieces seem to play themselves on that organ. It can get a bit confusing because the sound the organist hears is very [very!] different from what the listeners hear.</p>

Rob </p>

P.S. As for celebrities I may resemble, it must just be that picture, because 9 times out of 10 I am told I look like Keanu Reeves []
    </p>

Leave a comment:

• BOZ
    replied

Leave a comment:

• davidecasteel
    replied

We are pleased with our Klais and I'm sure we could get you permission to play it if you ever come to the Dallas area. Our Mary (Organist) is very open to allowing other organists to play the instrument.</P>

Do I play? Well, I'm not sure that anyone would describe what I do as playing but I sometimes tickle the keys for my own amusement. I can get through a few hymns and some very simplified classical pieces without too many mistakes (and not too fast). I have the Flor Peeters Little Organ Book and can stumble through a couple of those numbers. However, I have the distinction of being the first member of my church to actually play on the new Klais. I happened to be there the day the voicer was working on the first rank (the Choir Organ 8' Dulciana) and when he had completed his work on it he asked me if I played. I answered that I could probably play through a hymn. He told me to play the hymn over and over while he went all through the Sanctuary (even the balcony) to determine how well the sound of the softest stop carried through the space. I played Finlandia in the hymnal arrangement (from memory) repeatedly while he checked out the sound. He came back and reported that our Sanctuary is truly remarkable, that the sound was almost perfectly uniform all through the space--he was impressed! (Our space is cruciform in shape, and it is supposed to be very difficult to get uniform dispersion in such a shape; our acoustician and architect are to be congratulated.) I suppose that the honor of being the first to play on the instrument should have gone to our organist, but she was not available when he wanted to do the check. I was, of course, delighted to be asked to help.</P>

When I was stationed in Labrador in the mid-1960s (in the Air Force) I contracted for and built a Schober Recital Model organ from their kits. It took me about 6 months of off-duty time. That instrument has since moved all over the world with me and I played on it more or less frequently until I moved into my current abode. It suffered mightily from being difficult to tune and I let it fall into disuse. Then I began some experimental modifications designed to eliminate the tuning problems (single oscillator with top octive IC chip) and my procrastination has prevented it from ever being completed. I do intend to finish it some day, but at the moment I don't have a functioning organ at home. (And I'm reluctant to play the new Klais, even though Mary has told me I may. Some day.)</P>

We had a young teenaged organist on our Organ Selection Committee and he went over to Germany with us to visit the Klais factory. After we came back, he had an opportunity to travel to Salt Lake City and play the Tabernacle Organ. He was pumped!</P>

I guess it's OK to post the above stuff--this was a thread about people, not organs. I still think you look like a young Val Kilmer.</P>

David</P>

Leave a comment:

• Stefanussen
    replied

Hi David, thanks so much for the encouraging comments! I do try to make sure my performances are in reasonably good shape before posting them for thousands to see[] I've found that recording yourself like that is a tremendous help in improving performance. However, it's also pretty nerve racking!</p>

I'm working on Vierne's Final from Symphony no. 1, which is my most ambitious piece to date. I'll be performing it on Sunday, and I hope to make a video shortly thereafter. Like a few other people, I've vowed never to learn Toccata and Fugue. I'm thinking of tackling Tu es Petra or Vierne's Toccata next.</p>

I looked through your slideshow a while back of the installation of your Klais organ. I really enjoyed watching it come together, and it looks like it would be an absolutely thrilling instrument to play. I do wish I had a good pipe organ to play on regularly, but sadly the really decent organs are usually guarded very closely. I play on a 5-rank Schantz at church, it does a surprisingly good job for such a small instrument, but it doesn't render pieces quite as well as the Tabernacle organ down the street []</p>

Do you play as well?
    </p>

Leave a comment:

• davidecasteel
    replied

David</P>

Leave a comment:

• Stefanussen
    replied

Hi David! Yep, that's me []

Leave a comment:

Working...
X