This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• national cathedral recital series

WITHOUT rehashing the endless arguments about the organ replacement, I thought I'd note there's been a BIG change to the national cathedral recital sunday recital series. This series, to my knowledge, has existed in the same form since at least the mid 1980s when I remember my parents taking me to one. It has always been weekly, Sunday afternoons at a few minutes past 5, correct?
    </p>

http://www.nationalcathedral.org/arts/organRecitals.shtml</p>

Now we can see they are monthly. Also, instead of guest organists around the world, they are mostly the staff organists. </p>

The Cathedral's budget problems have been in the news in the past year. For example they shuttered the wonderful greenhouse nursery, much to the consternation of the upper NW DC hoi polloi. I take this change to the recital series as more evidence of budget strains. I doubt anyone who posts here and was privy to the arrangements would reveal their hand by confirming my suspicions, but at the very least the cathedral had to be contributing travel and lodging expenses to the guest organists. They can hardly be expected to have paid for it themselves.</p>

One question: has any other church/cathedral in the world had a weekly guest recitalist series that had recitalists from all over the country/world? It was a rather special undertaking I suspect, if not an entirely unique one. I left the DC area as of about 3 years ago, but I wish I'd attended a few more while I had the chance. Even this spring Dame Gillian Weir performed there, and I'm sorry I had something else to do that weekend. OTOH it fits into the pattern I see of high culture being in a slow death spiral, and I'm glad I was there to take advantage of it when I had the chance.</p>

</p>

Re: national cathedral recital series

Nothing personal - sincerely! But from the context, I am thinking that by "upper NW DC hoi polloi" you mean the elite, so to speak. I find that "hoi polloi" is often used to refer to the elite, when its actual meaning is almost the opposite. (One of my two brothers uses this backwards as well.) Just to set the record straight, here is a Wikipedia link:</P>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoi_polloi</P>

Sorry to be such a "precisionist" - but us organic types tend to be that way. Speaking of which, I know someone worse than myself in this regard. She was unhappy because while practicing at church she discovered that bottom G of our Great 4-foot flute has a tiny bit of what I call pipe buzz. It could be a burrin the toe, or some dirt in the mouth, etc. But it is virtually inaudible. And when would one ever play the bottom G of theGreat 4-foot flute alone, rather than in ensemble? I told her we were not going to attend to it unless it got worse. SIGH! I think I need a drink.</P>

Cheers!</P>

[D]</P>

Comment

[quote user="MenchenStimme"]And when would one ever play the bottom G of theGreat 4-foot flute alone, rather than in ensemble?[/quote]I would! [8-|] I can never find enough 8' color on any organ, so I'm just as likely to play a 16' stop up an octave, or a 4' down an octave.</P>

What you could do is have the organist go down into the sanctuary while you play that note - see if she notices the buzz. []</P>

I think I need a drink.
      The pipe isn't the only thing with a buzz! []</P>

Now if I can steer myself on to topic [:$] - all I can say is that I regret never having heard the National Cathedral instrument in person. I've had the pleasure of playing several instruments in D.C. but ran out of time on my last visit.</P>

I run a recital series and it appears we will have to cut back a bit too. []</P>

Comment

National City Christian Church, also in DC, has and continues to have a weekly recital series.

Comment

[quote user="MenchenStimme"]

Sorry to be such a "precisionist" - but us organic types tend to be that way. Speaking of which, I know someone worse than myself in this regard. She was unhappy because while practicing at church she discovered that bottom G of our Great 4-foot flute has a tiny bit of what I call pipe buzz. It could be a burrin the toe, or some dirt in the mouth, etc. But it is virtually inaudible. And when would one ever play the bottom G of theGreat 4-foot flute alone, rather than in ensemble? I told her we were not going to attend to it unless it got worse. SIGH! I think I need a drink.</P>

Cheers!</P>

[D]</P>

[/quote]</P>

Turns out it was only a slightly loose tuning slide! I gave the tuning slide a gentle squeeze and the problem resolved. Glad it was so simple.</P>

Comment

my word

Menchen...haha. Thanks but no thanks. I was well aware of the contradiction of using the term in that way. The "smart set" I reckon, have been using it ironically for some years now, to actually describe the quasi-upper classes. The writer of the wikipedia article is incorrect that this is always done by accident. My choice of ironical rhetoric, perhaps, is based on a sense I have that the truly upper class would have bemoaned the loss of the greenhouse, but privately. In fact, a week after it was announced there was a website set up (so common...) and a veritable "grassroots" movement to have it reopened, either by the cathedral or an outside party. For example, I know an ultra-yuppiesh couple who live in Chevy Chase, but they are very nouveau riche. He works in "sales". I haven't spoken to them about it but I imagine them as the sort of people who would be signing petitions about it.</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

Comment

Working...
            X