X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Conn Wedding!!!

Hey y'all, </P>

Just played for a wedding for a real good friend of mine. They make such a lovely couple. Anyway, to make a long story short the wedding was about 2 hours drive from home. Now I've played on all sorts of Casavants, Mollers, Rogers', Allens, Johannuses, and so on, of all shapes and sizes, but never on a Conn. It had 2 manuals, but not all of the keys you would typically expect in the aforementioned organs, there were pedals only to the left of me, one keyboard was strictly for accompaniment the other for solo, etc.[:O]</P>

(Iknew this was the organ I was going to play on in advance because my friend sent me pictures of it. I will admit to being turned off when I saw the pictures but this is my friend and besides, I like a challenge. [^o)]) So I got there early, brought all kinds of music, and played around with it to see what I could do with it. The minister told me that they usually have guitars there, and the organ is rarely used. That's a shame. [] Anyway, guess what? It was a cute little organ, and I had some fun with it. [] Now, I wouldn't want an organ such as this every Sunday or to give a concert on, (it was old and not in good shape and one can't exactly pull off Reger on this sort of instrument), but it was a neat little organ, and I managed to avoid making the organ make that warbly sound that thesekinds of organs sometimes can make. As my wife and others have remarked to me, "You know how to make a bad instrument, or one that isn't doing very well, sound really good." So I had a rep to protect! [:$]</P>

I pulled off Festive Trumpet Tune, Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring, Air on G String, March from Midsummer Night's Dream, and a whole bunch of transcriptions from Handel. Now, because the manuals were small, I ran out of keys, and I didn't have all the necessary pedals,so I ended up making up some of the harmonies as I went along to make things fit. Hopefully Handel and the others won't be too upset with me. [:$]</P>

Anyway, just thought I'd share this with you. </P>

Cheerio! </P>

Re: A Conn Wedding!!!

i would LOVE to hear a recording of that!!! did they video? seriously I think it would be awesome to hear!!!!!!

Comment

Hello ReedGuy,</p>

Could I get your input on this thread? http://organforum.com/forums/thread/66492.aspx</p>

I have a similar situation coming up.</p>

Thanks, glad you had fun.</p>

Comment

[quote user="ReedGuy"] . . . a Conn. It had 2 manuals, but not all of the keys you would typically expect in the aforementioned organs, there were pedals only to the left of me, one keyboard was strictly for accompaniment the other for solo, etc.[:O][/quote]</P>

Takes me back about 40 years, to our visit to a small rural church. As we approached doors, I could hear the organ; and was astounded that they not only had a pipe organ in such a small church, but one that sounded so great! Turns out, that the wondrous 'pipe organ' was actually a little Conn spinet! 'Couldn't resist spending a 'little' timeafter the service playing with with this intriguing little instrument. []</P>
        2008: Phoenix III/44

Comment

I commented at length on another thread (about the "charm" of old analogs) about Conn organs. I agree that they could sound incredibly good. I'm not terribly surprised to hear that you intially thought you were hearing pipes. It was in part the independent oscillator system with its random out-of-tuneness that made the Conns sound more pipelike than the smallBaldwins and other low-endstuff on the market at the same time.</P>

Back in the 70's I was music director at a tiny church with no music budget. I found an old Connsonata somewhere for $50 and set it up in the church, where we'd never had anything but a piano.Several people told me it sounded "just like a pipe organ" -- of course these weren't terribly sophisticated musically. But it was a really nice sound.</P>

John</P>
          <P mce_keep="true"></P>
          John
          ----------
          *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

I wish I had pics of the organ mentioned in A Conn Wedding. I do wonder what model it was, and still working somewhat after all these years. I can say that the very old tube Conns, and reed Wurlitzers just couldn't be beat for church music. I am not a Conn fan at all on the later models, but found the early tube ones quite interesting when I was a young man.</P>

They were much better than hearing a Hammond C3 with that sobbing vibrato being played as I would get nearto the Presbyterian church early on a Sunday to practice with the choir director using both piano and organ. Many Sundays she arrived there before I did, and I do wish I could have heard a better sounding organ for our type of worship as I came up the walk way to the churchdoor. In short, this organ was a nice organ IF you like Hammond, but way out of place in a Presbyterian Church IMHO. I did not like a small Baldwin that so many churches in this area had due to the fact that a Baldwin dealer was in town. They sounded so muffled via their speakers which gave a very much brassy sound, and the strings were so buzzy theysounded awful.</P>

It is sad to hear that this small organ is not used, and it is a miracle this one has notmet the dumpster, landfill, or some thrift store since so many churches have gone happy clappy as well as done away with many organs these days.</P>
            <P mce_keep="true"></P>

James</P>
            Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
            Baldwin Spinet 58R
            Lowrey Spinet SCL
            Wurlitzer 4100A
            Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
            Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
            Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Comment

[quote user="Tenor Trumpet 8'"]It is sad to hear that this small organ is not used, and it is a miracle this one has notmet the dumpster, landfill, or some thrift store since so many churches have gone happy clappy as well as done away with many organs these days.[/quote]</P>

I attendone of those crappy happy clappy crappy churches. [] It's a fairly largechurch of about a 1,000.They had an organ way back in the '80s, but the talent gradually declinedto yahoo gueetaar anddrums status. []</P>

When mysonwas married there, I couldn't envision a wedding without a pipe organ, or any kind of organ being availible. I wastempted to rent a digitalorgan for the occasion, but then I would have to find an organist, a rare breed in our part of thecountry. Anyway, possessing a little more intellecualdexterity than I have, arranged though one of their friends at the church, for a student string ensemble from the Faculty of Music, University ofToronto.I supposeit turned outokay, but . . . .</P>

So . . . why do I attend a church like that?I cringe eachSunday morning, bracing myself for the onslaughtthe most disagreeable noise I ever have to deal with on a week to week basis. It has a lot to do with being married. My wife actually likes the church she has been attending for so many decades. Her reasoning, is that I have all week to play 'real' hymns on my new III/44 digital organ; and you don't get a new III/44 digital organ without a whole lot of tolerance and generous supportfrom she-who-must-be-obeyed. [:S] Under these circumstances, it would be a tad tacky, not to mentionuwiseto refuse to accept the weekly Hour of <STRIKE>Power</STRIKE> Pain without complaint or comment. []</P>

Comment

Clarion,</P>

I am so glad you do have something nice to play on at home. I know it is all about take and give, etc. that goes with being married. I even remember how loyal my Mom was to a holy mess when I was a kid, and how my Dad hated the hell out of that bunch. As the years went by I can see exactly why he felt the way he did about matters. As he so often said I would have to learn for myself since he apparently couldn't tell me anything.</P>

So, you do make the best of a not good situation by not causing any strife over the matter which is a wise decision. I lived in a horrible mess for years that I am so proud to be alone and do as I darn well please. I am not able to play for church any more due to health matters, but some have played for years that were much older than me. I don't miss it one bit, and by now no doubt I would have been replaced by some of this junk called Praise and Worship, and God only knows what for sure. When I hear it on the TV I immediately turn the channel elsewhere to hear some decent music such as I was trained to play year back when music was to be done properly to offer our best to God.</P>

James</P>
                Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
                Baldwin Spinet 58R
                Lowrey Spinet SCL
                Wurlitzer 4100A
                Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
                Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
                Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Comment

Clarion,</P>

Your situation would be pretty nigh intolerable to me, though I know that we often do things we don't really want to do to please our spouse. [] Or for other good reasons.</P>

Have you considered finding a church to play at, perhaps at an early service or other time that wouldn't conflict with going to the weekly "Hour of Pain" with your wife?</P>

Personally, I could hardly stand not to have a place of service. Guess it's just such a strong calling within me. But I'm fortunate to have been in the same church for 15 years and to be in full harmony (pun?)with the musical preferences and character of the church.</P>

However, I do have to tolerate a political climate in my church that is highly disagreeable to me. I feelcompelled to keep my mouth shut on all the "hot button" issues that my denomination (Southern Baptist) generally takes very hard-line right-wing stances on. I'm moderate (or even liberal) enough to feel at home in a totally different denomination, such as Episcopal. But I stay where I am because of the opportunity to make music, to be in charge of a growing and active musical program where I am shown great appreciation. My wife is also active as pianist and a choir member, so we have a lot that keeps us here in spite of the often wrenching internal disagreements we feel with those "in charge."</P>

John</P>
                  <P mce_keep="true"></P>
                  John
                  ----------
                  *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

Comment

Philip The Organist, I replied to your post about the Allen Spinet. Hope it helps. </P>

They didn't take a video of the wedding, so unfortunately, I don't have one to share. I do have pictures of the organ, so I'll see if I can post them here. </P>

Clarion, I'll send you a PM soon. I'm in Canada too. Please let me knowwhen you receiveit. Sometimes the computer does odd things. </P>

Comment

[quote user="Clarion"]

... the weekly Hour of <strike>Power</strike> Pain []...</p>

[/quote]</p>

Clarion,</p>

I don't know if your church has a coffee shop like most trendy churches. If it does, maybe 2 or 3 triple espressos may help dull the pain of the hour. [C]
                      </p>

And if not, it'll get you hyper enough to join the praise band, maybe with a chopped Hammond or something []
                      </p>

Comment

Learn to sleep with your eyes open, and don't snore! [H]</P>

David</P>

Comment

Clarion, if I may be so bold as to say, your spiritual needs are just as important as your wife's spiritual needs. If the church you both attend is not feeding you spiritually and helping you in your walk with Christ, then shehas to be sensitive to that. That is part of thecovenant of honouring, cherishing, and loving each other in marriage. </P>

In ideal situations, you and yourwife would attend the same church and feel spiritually fed as my wife and I do. But, if you have vastly different needs in this regard, then with all do respect, you should both validate each other's needs because they are real and matter, and find a way to compromise. Maybe that means you attending a happy clappy service with her, and she attending a traditional one with youon alternating Sundays, or as a last resort, you going to a traditional service on your own in addition to the one she likes to go to. Being able to play real hymns by yourself, on your own,on a lovely organ is not the same as attending worship where you collectively join together in worship singing real hymns and feel energized to go out into the world for Christ. </P>

I hope I wasn't crossing the line in my advice. My apologies if I did; just trying to be helpful. </P>

Comment

Clarion,</P>

What ReedGuy says if what I was thinking. (Wow, has this thread gotten off topic!)</P>

I'd join in encouraging you to find a place to worship in a manner that feeds your spirit. And ideally you and your wife could attend both types of worship together. But for your own spiritual health, I'd suggest that youfind that place. There are many churches that have early morning traditional services. Perhaps you could attend one of those and then go with your wife to what she enjoys.</P>

John</P>
                            <P mce_keep="true"></P>
                            John
                            ----------

Comment

[quote user="Philip the organist"]

I don't know if your church has a coffee shop like most trendy churches. If it does, maybe 2 or 3 triple espressos may help dull the pain of the hour. [C]
                              </P>

And if not, it'll get you hyper enough to join the praise band, maybe with a chopped Hammond or something [][/quote]</P>

Hey Philip,</P>

Our church actually does have a coffee shop; and to that end my wife insists that we now enter the church through an alternate door that doesn't pass though the crowded coffee shop thing!!</P>

Iconfess that with 50+ years over you,I don't understand thedecline of Worship into a cesspool of incessant drums, gueetars, and all that sort of crap. None of it is remotely musical, and as a vehicle of worship, meritless, and an afront to He who is . . . . </P>

Comment

Working...
                              X