Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where should an organist go in London?

I'm be in London on the week of the 14th - 21st for business, but being my first time there, I'm hoping I can find time to go around and check out organ stuff.
    </p>

Here's my wishlist of things to do:</p>
    1. Buy some organ books
    2. Attend mass at a church that has a good organ + organist - Westminster Cathedral was recommended, any others I should consider?
    3. Attend evensong somewhere
    4. Play some pipe organs (ok, i know this one's probably impossible but I'm just trying my luck!)

Any recommendations for folks from the UK will be greatly appreciated!</p>

</p>

Re: Where should an organist go in London?

[quote user="expiredcornpop"]Any recommendations for folks from the UK will be greatly appreciated![/quote]Hopefully you would entertain recommendations from folks not in the UK? []</P>

Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's Cathedral, and Southwark Cathedral are high on my list.</P>

Here is ahandy websitewhich lists London organ venues and recitals.</P>

Perhaps Jason E. will paythis threada visit - he is bound to know the latest scoop on the goings-on around London these days. []</P>

Welcome to the Forum. []</P>

Comment

[quote user="expiredcornpop"]Any recommendations for folks from the UK will be greatly appreciated![/quote]Hopefully you would entertain recommendations from folks not in the UK? []</P>

Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's Cathedral, and Southwark Cathedral are high on my list.</P>

Here is ahandy websitewhich lists London organ venues and recitals.</P>

Perhaps Jason E. will paythis threada visit - he is bound to know the latest scoop on the goings-on around London these days. []</P>

Welcome to the Forum. []</P>

Comment

Foyle's would be my first port of call for sheet music.</p>

I also love Evensong in St. Paul's or Westminster Abbey. Westminster Cathedral I would consider a must for mass.</p>

If you go to St. Paul's for Sunday Evensong, there's a recital afterwards at 5pm. Make sure to sit under the dome! </p>

Playing may or may not be possible, but a little bit of advance warning generally goes a long way in the bigger places, so try contacting them. You'll obviously find things a little easier in the parish churches. I was made very welcome at St-John-at-Hampstead, for example. </p>

On other thing to consider is a trip out to Oxford or Cambridge while you're there.
        </p>

Comment

[quote user="expiredcornpop"]

I'm be in London on the week of the 14th - 21st for business, but being my first time there, I'm hoping I can find time to go around and check out organ stuff.
          </p>

Here's my wishlist of things to do:</p>
          1. Buy some organ books
          2. Attend mass at a church that has a good organ + organist - Westminster Cathedral was recommended, any others I should consider?
          3. Attend evensong somewhere
          4. Play some pipe organs (ok, i know this one's probably impossible but I'm just trying my luck!)

Any recommendations for folks from the UK will be greatly appreciated!</p>

[/quote]</p>

1. I would stop off at Chappells of Bond Street (though no longer on Bond St, but on Wardour St) for music. Their organ section isn't huge (as is the case with most music shops) but it carries all the stuff you would expect to find plus other gems. Whilst you are there they have a very extensive selection piano music which might be of interest too.</p>

2 &amp; 3. I would definitely put the Brompton Oratory down on your list, even if you can't attend sung mass there its worth a visit just to admire the wonderful architecture. http://www.bromptonoratory.com/ </p>

Of course there are the usual ones like St Pauls, Westminster Abbey and Westminster Cathedral. Some others that you might also want to look into are Southwark Cathedral (Anglican) http://www.southwark.anglican.org/cathedral/ and/or St Georges Cathedral (RC) http://www.southwark-rc-cathedral.or...dral/index.htm</p>
          1971 Allen Organ TC-3S (#42904) w/sequential capture system.
          Speakers: x1 Model 100 Gyro, x1 Model 105 & x3 Model 108.

Comment

Thanks to all (from the UK or not ) for the recommendations!</p>

I'll most certainly look into visiting these places. </p>

Here's my tentative list for now:</p>
            1. Westminster Cathedral (for mass)
            2. Brompton Oratory (hopefully for sung mass)
            3. Westminster abbey (for evensong)
            4. Barbican Chimes music shop (I saw a review for this on londontown.com - is it worth the trip?)
            5. Chappell Music
            6. Foyle's

Now it's just a matter of figuring out my routes and ways to get off work early </p>

I'll be staying at Camden. I hope these places aren't too far away. Would anyone here happen to know which RC church is closest to camden high street? I can't seem to find that information online.</p>

cheers!
            </p>

</p>

</p>

Comment

http://www.westminster-abbey.org/visitor/entry-charges/ </p>

Both Westminster Cathedral and The Brompton Oratory are free to enter.</p>

2) Try this parish locater to find your local Church:</p>

http://www.rcdow.org.uk/parishes/default.asp?letter=c </p>

The best way to search is to enter the postcode (similar to ZIP code). </p>

3) I can't vouch for Barbican Chimes, thats the first time I've heard of it. Certainly Foyles and Chappells have the most extensive range of sheet music for sale in London.
              </p>

4) Finally, to help you plan your way around London, particularly if you are going to use public transport, then be sure to bookmark this:</p>

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en </p>

This should help you find your way from A to B using public transport. If you look around the website you can find information on fare prices - which are very expensive.
              </p>

Hope this helps
              </p>

Comment

I've bought a fair amount of stuff in Chimes over the years, including mail order to Ireland, so yeah, that's probably worth a look.</p>

Camden is an interesting choice in terms of where to stay, but it's very easy to get pretty much anywhere from there on the Northern Line.
                </p>

Comment

[quote user="expiredcornpop"]Would anyone here happen to know which RC church is closest to camden high street? I can't seem to find that information online.[/quote]That parish locator nullogik provided seems to be a good tip.</P>

Another thing you might consider before you go: fly (virtually) around some of the spots you plan to visit, courtesy of Google Earth. If you have Google Earth you can click on this linkto visit Camden, for example. Sometimes I will find an intriguing restaurant, shop, or tourist attraction that I wouldn't have known about otherwise. It also helps me to get my bearings before I actually visit a place. []</P>

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm in London now. I'm staying at Camden cos it's a 5 min walk away from our London office. It's not a great area but it's pretty central, so it's not too bad.</p>

I visited St paul's yesterday but didn't want to pay the 10 bux to enter (I'd rather use the $ for sheet music heh). Will be visiting Church of the Immaculate Conception at Farm street tonight with some friends who'd be doing carolling. It should be fun. I hope we get some good Organ music!
                    </p>

</p>

Comment

Thanks for the update!</p>

Its a pity that these Churches have to charge visitors to enter, but then at the same time they don't receive much (if any) government funding despite being "national treasures" - so they depend totally on the charity of visitors and the congregation to keep going.</p>

Still there are plenty of good Churches around, as you've discovered, that are free to enter. Don't forget to visit the Brompton Oratory which is free to enter.</p>

By the way, how are you finding are "wonderful"[] and grossly expensive public transport system?
                      </p>

Comment

I visited and attended a christmas service at Church of the Immaculate Conception, better known as "church on Farm street" on Tuesday. They didn't have a very big organ, but it was a really nice and cozy church. I'll share the pictures on my blog when i get home. Off to westminster and brompton tomorrow or sunday! And some ice skating at Hyde park [&lt;)]</p>

I was warned about the public transport system before I arrived but it is indeed something else to experience it first hand. lol. I haven't had much inconveiences yet though, 'cept for the one time they closed off some exit which I needed to go through to get to another line. I also didn't get off in time when I was taking the bus yesterday so I rang the bell a few more times while the bus was still stationary but the bus driver didn't open the doors for me And about the price - it is indeed a tad pricey considering how close the stations are. I'm lucky this is a business trip so the tube's also covered
                        </p>

Comment

Great to hear you are having a good time! I didn't know there was ice skating at Hyde Park...but I daren't try in case I break a limb in time for our X'mas services- as luck would have it[]</P>

Thanks for the updates.</P>

Comment

I can't believe that this bunch of wags hasn't yet responded "in a rest room"! [H]</P>

David</P>

Comment

Oh,it took me a while to figure out what you were talking about! [:S]</P>

In any case, I do believe you mean to say"to the loo". [8-|]</P>

Comment

Working...
                              X