This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello,...new to site!

I am new to the site. I kinda "stumbled" acrossthis site while doing a google search on Austin pipe organs.</P>

I have no organ as of yet,but I hope you will still make me feel welcome here,becauseI do enjoy hearing the organ.</P>

When I seen the site,I thought "I should check this out!" I am glad I did now and I feel I share a common interest</P>

in the instrument. My dilemma,...I can'tdecide between a Hammond or an Allen,.. I like the sound of both of them.</P>

I tend to lean more towards Allen,though.</P>

Re: Hello,...new to site!

Welcome to our little corner of the universe. I hope you benefit from our world. Do you play an instrument? Tell us about yourself and where you are located.</P>

The type of organ can depend a lot on the type of music that interests you. You searched on Austin. They make classic pipe organs instruments that have somewhat limited capability for theatre type music. For instance Austin organs have very limited tremulant capability due to the chest design. And Hammond is generally quite the opposite. Also there is a huge difference in cost, maintenance, and space requirements. Allen makes high end organs of both classical and theatre types. I have an Allen with additional Pipe and Hammond capability as I enjoy all types of music.</P>

Al Johnson</P>

Comment

Thanks Al for your response and welcoming me to the site. I live in Bluffton,In. but I was raised in Gas City,In. I do not have an organ at the</P>

present time. Because of space,I may be limited to a small console organ such as a Hammond A-100. Money would not allow an Allen L-4</P>

Protege organ,...much less an Austin pipe organ,...WAAAAAYYYYYY out of reach! Since I would be playing,...or should I say wanting to learn to </P>

play the old hymns of the faith along more more contemporary music,in my heart,Hammond would be much easier to learn on I think. I may</P>

have to go spinet model Hammond since space is at a premium in this little studio apartment I am living in. Problem is,..trying to find a spinet organ</P>

such as a Hammond. Why Hammond? I have been around them almost all my life and if I could locate the old M-3 my grandmother had,I would </P>

take it. Piano never interested me,...but the organ has always held my interest,...still does! Must be a reason behind that. Where would be a good </P>

place to start looking for an organ?</P>

Comment

Thanks for the update about yourself. I would say the best place to start is locally with thrift stores and Craigslist. You'll need to get some idea about your ability to pick up the instrument you choose. Some thrifts offer delivery for a fairly nominalfee so that may be a plus if you don't have strong friends to help and especially one with a truck so you don't have to rent or pay a mover.</P>

You may be most interested in a tone wheel generator models since you mention the M3. The following line of M100's is also very popular and in pretty good supply most places. You'll also find many previous posts here about the L's and T's. If you would consider an integrated circuit model you might be able to get a 25 pedal console in that space. Several were built with the wood pads on one side only -- and some that have the black preset keys havevery small wood pads on the side. The are not really much wider than a good spinet. (the tradeoff is that you can't push the bench back in after you play)</P>

There is also a host of Wurlitzer and Conn organs out there for your consideration. Listen to the organ and decide on your purchase based on price and sound. And I agree with your assumption that most Allens won't fit your contemporary sound unless you find an old one with a built in gyro. And of course you would have to maximize your available space. You might want to research the Custom Carousel. It was a home organ edition from the late 60's that had alot of advanced features. I've never seen one in a thrift store sale, but received one free from a local paper ad a few years back. It needed a rare diode in the amp. I got advice from a local television shop, got the part from Allen and put it in myself.</P>

Which begs another question for our newcomer -- have you located a helpful repairman. Check MitaTech website for a local listing. We are always glad for newcomers. Hope you find the right organ real soon!</P>

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong,..but would you not say that Allen's old gyrophonic systems would be Allen's version of a Leslie speaker? You asked if I have located a serviceman? Well,I am still relatively new to the community in which I now live(Bluffton,In.)so the answer is no,...not yet! I take your suggestions to heart as to what to look for and consider as far as the Wurlitzer and Conn are concerned,..however,I must be honest and say that I would feel safer sticking with Hammond since they seem to be far more prevelant. I should go on ebay and look for an organ. My church over in Warren,In. done that and we found a new Hammond that was a demonstrator model WITH warranty. The dealer shipped it down from Wisconsin.</P>

Our organ at the church is a Hammond XH-272 Elegante. It sounds really nice,but it would not fit in my apartment if I had it. I have thought very seriously about the old tone wheel spinet model Hammonds,butI have to admit,...if I could find a way to get an A-100 in here,I would. IfI could get a spinet Hammond with built-in Leslie,I would really like one of those over the tone wheel units.</P>

Comment

Working...
          X