Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beautiful organ music - your suggestions please!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beautiful organ music - your suggestions please!!

Re: Beautiful organ music - your suggestions please!!

How about John Cage's 4:33, I'm sure that your organist will be able to transcribe it[]. Now, in terms of actual suggestions, you might want to consider J.S. Bach's Cantata from Symphony no.29. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hczd6WKMBUc (quite probably a much larger organ than you have at your church, but that's no problem). A part of me wants to suggest the Middelschulte Perpetuum Mobile (perpetual motion for pedals alone, but that's a concert piece, and would draw unnecessary attention to the organist, who is not the focus of the ceremony).

You might also want to have a look at the Virgil Fox album "Here Comes The Bride" at http://www.virgilfoxlegacy.com/discography.html Fox was a successful concert organist, but was for a number of years organist at the Riverside Church in NYC.

Comment

I got some suggestions to you. For the processional, as you want something atmospheric, (but maybe a little bit solemn) try the Nocturne from a MidsummerNight's Dream byMendelssohn http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlSj0...eature=related. Vierne's Messe basse will do well for the ordinary of the mass. Priere a NotreDame from Boellmann's Suite Gothique http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNTzkb2am-Iwill do for the ofertory if you want something different from the 'Messe". Guilmant'strancription of Sinfonia toBach'sCantata BWV 106 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx-kKRvL8Uw, and "Sheep may safely graze" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4suIROLQ5Kccould do well for communion. Duboi's in Paradissum could do well for meditation. Still need to think for the recessional, as it must be something "cheerful".... Guilmant's transcription BWV 29(Sinfonia to Cantata, in opposite to what Austin said) might be a good idea.</P>

Hope this helps a bit, and note, as two of the videos I posted where not organ, doesn't mean you can't find the respective arrangments. If you have trouble to find an arrangment to the "Nocturne", I got a really goodone.</P>

Comment

My suggestion is to consult with your organist- he/she should already have established a repertoire which they can play well. No doubt they would probably have many suggestions to make.</P>

The 'find the music first' approach can work, buta professionalorganist would probably want to be consulted rather than told what to play. That's especially true ifyour (our) music suggestions are hard to find or aretechnically challenging to play for the organist.</P>

Comment

That's perhaps one of the wisest advices you'll hear. We can give you ideas, but you should consult the organist first.

Comment

Agreed, but the Cage is the easiest piece in my repertoire[8-|].

Comment

I think even non musicians can play it.... ahem.

Comment

[quote user="tommy_kingma"]I think even non musicians can play it.... ahem.[/quote][H]</P>

David</P>

Comment

These days, everyone over here who doesn't want Pachelbel's Canon seems to plump for Nella Fantasia/Gabriels' Oboe. It's all a bit soul-destroying.</p>

Anyway, in my experience, I wouldn't bother making any decisions until you talk to the organist first. We could make suggestions, but there's a good sporting chance that he/she can't or won't play them, and a good sporting chance that the organ won't be able to do them justice. Too many times I've turned up at large churches in Ireland only to discover a seriously sub-par instrument that barely works. </p>

Ask to meet the organist in the church, get them to play you through the various options, and decide what you like the sound of. There's really no substitute.
                  </p>

Comment

[quote user="SimonS"]These days, everyone over here who doesn't want Pachelbel's Canon seems to plump for Nella Fantasia/Gabriels' Oboe.[/quote]The Canon is something I never play, although I was vetoed at the last wedding and I reluctantly obliged. As I knew would happen, the bride came down the aisle and nobody noticed -everyone was lulled into a trance. [:|] </P>

When it comes time for the processional/recessionalI always advise ceremonial, celebratorymusic - something that makes the congregation sit up and take notice. The pretty stuff can be played as part of the Prelude or later in the service.</P>

Comment

Agree 100%, SB32. I'm blue in the face telling this to future brides, because the image they have in their heads of their grand entrance to the Canon is never matched in reality. Slow, "beautiful" music just doesn't work, IMO. No offence to the OP, of course!!
                      </p>

Comment

[quote user="soubasse32"]

[quote user="SimonS"]These days, everyone over here who doesn't want Pachelbel's Canon seems to plump for Nella Fantasia/Gabriels' Oboe.[/quote]The Canon is something I never play, although I was vetoed at the last wedding and I reluctantly obliged. As I knew would happen, the bride came down the aisle and nobody noticed -everyone was lulled into a trance. [:|] </p>

When it comes time for the processional/recessionalI always advise ceremonial, celebratorymusic - something that makes the congregation sit up and take notice. The pretty stuff can be played as part of the Prelude or later in the service.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Soubasse32,</p>

I agree with your position on the Canon. What pieces do you prefer to use for processionals and recessionals? </p>

Larry
                        </p>

Comment

One piece I'm fond of doing is David N. Johnson'sProcessional in A-Flat. I've searched high and low for an online sample (since brides &amp; grooms want to know what it sounds like), but I'm afraid it hasn't been recorded or posted anywhere. Maybe I'll have to post a recording. [*-)]</P>

There are some YouTube posts of Johnson's other processionals, they give an idea of the general style.</P>

His Trumpet Tune in Dmakes a very nice processional too. According to Wikipedia it was played for 'Trisha Nixon's wedding on the White House lawn.</P>

I'm very partial to Johnson's music - it is ceremonial, regal, and a bit out of the mainstream. His works tend to be divided up in to subsections, which are easy to 'mix and match' in order to extend the music as needed. []</P>

Other than that, I usually would play any of the other well-known Trumpet Voluntaries.</P>

For the Recessional I like to play the Fanfare, by Jacques Lemmens. []</P>

Comment

I think Lang's Tuba Tune would be suitably beautiful, celebratory, and grand. Stefanussen has a marvelous rendition on line and I listen to it often. It has the advantage of being sufficiently repetitious that it could be shortened or lengthened as necessary to accommodate few or many Bridesmaids and long or short aisles.</P>

David</P>

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions. I, too, like David Johnson's music.

Comment

Working...
                              X