Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beautiful organ music - your suggestions please!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beautiful organ music - your suggestions please!!

While this subject is fresh...as I get older I realize I'm not going to "get around" to a lot of things.* A few years ago I discovered a piece of music that would make a brilliant organ transcription and thought "I'll work on that." Well - project re-learn the organ is almost 4 years off schedule, so I'd best pass the suggestion along to someone else! I think it would make a good wedding march.
    </p>

Here it is...</p>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4ebiTEBLPs</p>

and in the context of the film - not my favorite Truffaut flick, but fun...</p>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSqfhjt-Gg8

* - reminder my id is just an id, I'm not actually "circa 1949" more like "circa mid 70s"!</p>

</p>

Comment

[off-topic]</P>

Ah, another fan of French film. [8-|]</P>

One of my favorite cinematic moments of all time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNwkj...eature=related Such a masterpiece. [edit: this is a spoiler too, if you haven't seen the film.}</P>

And speaking of weddings, the organ solo halfway through this clip always gives me goosebumps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CLSm...e=channel_page (if you haven't seen this film, fyi: spoiler warning!)</P>

Comment

[quote user="soubasse32"]

here are some YouTube posts of Johnson's other processionals, they give an idea of the general style.</P>

His Trumpet Tune in Dmakes a very nice processional too. According to Wikipedia it was played for 'Trisha Nixon's wedding on the White House lawn.</P>

I'm very partial to Johnson's music - it is ceremonial, regal, and a bit out of the mainstream. His works tend to be divided up in to subsections, which are easy to 'mix and match' in order to extend the music as needed. []</P>

For the Recessional I like to play the Fanfare, by Jacques Lemmens. []</P>

[/quote]</P>

I do like David Johnson's music as well, in particular his Trumpet Tune in A Major. Douglas Marshall does a fantastic rendition of it on the Marshall &amp; Ogletree website which is free to download. Trumpet Tune in D is great as well and easily sight-readable making it one for the "easy pieces that sound good" thread that is currently running.</P>

If you go to the Rodgers Organ website and click on the "listen" icon, there is a good rendition of Lemmen's Fanfare on there to listen to. I like the piece but struggle with it because of my small hands and fast moving arpeggio like sections.</P>
        1971 Allen Organ TC-3S (#42904) w/sequential capture system.
        Speakers: x1 Model 100 Gyro, x1 Model 105 & x3 Model 108.

Comment

The Canon is something I never play, although I was vetoed at
          the last wedding and I reluctantly obliged. As I knew would happen,
          the bride came down the aisle and nobody noticed -everyone was lulled
          into a trance.

When it comes time for the processional/recessionalI always advise ceremonial, celebratorymusic
          - something that makes the congregation sit up and take notice. The
          pretty stuff can be played as part of the Prelude or later in the
          service.
          </p>

I have used both the 'Canon in D' and 'Gabriel's Oboe' as the processional. On the occasions I have used these pieces it made the entrance of the bride appear elegant and dignified. I do advise the minister to request the congregation to "Please stand" so it was clear that it is time for the entrance of the bride. I disagree that the music has to always be the "Look at me" kind....
          </p>

Comment

One of the most successful pieces I have ever used at a wedding was, strangely enough, the Andante - Choeur des Voix Humaines by Lefebure-Wely. I firstplayed it during the signing of the register atmy own sister's wedding in London a couple of years ago - and was quite surprised by the number of people who approached me at the reception asking me what the piece was. It also became a staple favourite of my parents (who are rather musically conservative,especially when it comes to organ music!).

I often play this work at church andit sounds fabulously haunting in the acousticthere.

I have a list somewhere on my computeron which I have listed all themusic which Isuggest for various parts of the wedding service - with all the traditionalfavourites but with a few alternatives which could be just as appropriate.

Comment

Soubasse - yes this is a great one! But please slightly edit your comments though - both of those videos are pretty significant spoilers! Little known is that there is actually a stage adaptation of Cherbourg - I saw it at Brandeis University a few years ago.</p>

I have to wonder if somewhere in this big world of ours, at some time, a soon-to-be-married couple found a organist willing to make their "French movie music wedding" dreams come true. There are people who can just pick up a tune and quickly develop it into an impressive sounding piece - they are somewhat more common in the jazz piano world but I'm sure there are organists who could have a pretty exact replica of that music from Cherbourg - or even my suggestion - in very little time.</p>

</p>

Comment

Working...
              X