X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ye Old-Tyme Photo of the day

</P>

Hey - after only a few minutes I found it in Google Earth! </P>

Since I've never been to St. Louis I'm either very lucky or I'm getting to be a wiz at Google Earth. []</P>

It is Holy Trinity Catholic Church: website </P>

Comment

Comment

I find this layout mysterious. Is the congregation not meant to observe the liturgy in the chancel?

Comment

Well, Idon't think we'll find very many who would say that the organ and the choir associated with that space sound awful.

Comment

[quote user="MenchenStimme"]I find this layout mysterious. Is the congregation not meant to observe the liturgy in the chancel?[/quote]</p>

Well, no. This follows the typical layout of of a Medieval British cathedral. The common folk were never to invade the sanctity of the quire and high altar. Usually the passageway between nave and quire was gated, and still is in many British cathedrals, notably Gloucester, Canterbury, Chichester, York, Lincoln, Exeter, Ely, even Westminster Abbey. For Sunday Eucharist a 'low altar' is located to the west of the screen. Matins (seldom done except in a few cathedrals) and Evensong are celebrated in the quire and the public is now invited into the stalls. (At St. Paul's in London, one either sneaks in or has 'connections' if the attendence exceeds available space in the quire.) At Westminster Abbey, it's always first come first served, and at King's College, to get a seat in the quire for Evensong, one has to queue for at least an hour outside to get a seat in the quire, otherwise one listens to the service from the vantage point of that 'mysterious' postcard.
            </p>

Suffice it to say (I could go on and on about this), the Reformation brought many changes, and of course these are reflected in America's cathedrals and those built in Britain after the Reformation. Also a number of older British cathedrals were considerably modified -one could say 'vandalized- subsequent to the Reformation.
            </p>

Comment

from the ebay auction: "HIS IS A BEAUTIFUL PHOTO OF THE BARTON PIPE ORGAN UP IN THE LOFT DECORATED IN CANADIAN CLUB WHISKEY ADVERTIZING IN THE OLD CHICAGO STADIUM. THIS IMAGE WAS TAKEN JUST BEFORE THE CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS VS ST LOUIS BLUES HOCKEY ON APRIL 8 1994 GAME JUST AS FRANK PELLICO SITTING BEHIND THE KEYBOARDS STARTED THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER. THE CROWD STANDS AND IS READY TO ROAR WHILE VOCALIST WAYNE MESSMER IS SHOWN STANDING AT THE MICROPHONE LOOKING IM MY CAMERAS DIRECTION. THIS WAS THIS WAS TO BE THE NIGHT WAYNE MESSMER WAS MUGGED AND SHOT IN THE THROAT LATE AFTER THIS GAME OUTSIDE HAWKEYES BAR AND GRILL. THANK GOODNESS AND SMART THINKING, WAYNE SINGS ON TODAY! COLOR PHOTO MEASURES 8 x 10 INCHES. I WILL SHIP WORLD WIDE. BUYER ADDS 5 DOLLARS SHIPPING/HANDLING IN USA. PLEASE SEE MY OTHER AUCTIONS. THANKS AND HAPPY HOCKEY! "

http://cgi.ebay.com/BARTON-PIPE-ORGA...1%7C240%3A1318

My comment: Has anyone hear heard this organ when it was there? curious how it sounded in a large space like that.

Comment

I collecting Pipe Organ records, I've come across some recordings from the Chicago Stadium Organ. It had a really great sound.

Comment

[quote user="Hammondlover"][quote user="LPhilbrick"]

That photograph was taken prior to the completion of the organ. I believe that a decorative piece, such as a statuette, resides in that space. I am attending a "Pipedreams Live!" event at the church on February 14. I'll post an update the following day.</p>

Larry
                  </p>

[/quote]</p>

I will also be attending the event and will update as well. </p>

[/quote]</p>

Hey, I'll be there too! Look for me, I'm 6'3" and have glasses...I don't know if that helps []</p>

Comment

Ye Olde Tyme Photo:</p>

</p>

3m Holtkamp 1963? practice organ at ESM. No, this is <span style="font-style: italic;">not </span>an artisticly retouched photo. I was playing it yesterday. The writing really has worn off the stoptabs onto the fingers of generations of organists.
                    </p>

Comment

• Re: Ye Old-Tyme Photo of the day

[quote user="Philip the organist"][quote user="Hammondlover"][quote user="LPhilbrick"]

That photograph was taken prior to the completion of the organ. I believe that a decorative piece, such as a statuette, resides in that space. I am attending a "Pipedreams Live!" event at the church on February 14. I'll post an update the following day.</p>

Larry
                      </p>

[/quote]</p>

I will also be attending the event and will update as well. </p>

[/quote]</p>

Hey, I'll be there too! Look for me, I'm 6'3" and have glasses...I don't know if that helps []</p>

[/quote]</p>

I won't be able to make it tonight. Please let me know how it goes.
                      </p>

Comment

Larry,</p>

Will do. I'll try to post on the Pipedreams Live thread that I started a few days ago.
                        </p>

Comment

[quote user="Philip the organist"]

Larry,</p>

Will do. I'll try to post on the Pipedreams Live thread that I started a few days ago.
                          </p>

[/quote]</p>

Thanks!
                          </p>

Comment

Working...
                          X