• Franck at La Madeleine...

Oh the glory of it all:</p>

YouTube - Franck: Choral No. 2 - Marie-Claire Alain, part I of II </p>

YouTube - Franck: Choral No. 2 - Marie-Claire Alain, part II of II</p>

</p>

</p>

Re: Franck at La Madeleine...

Thanks for that - very enjoyable. [:)]</P>

However I'm afraid I'm a bit spoiled; whenever I think of "Franck" and "La Madeleine" in the same sentence I cannot but help think of the incomparable recordings by Jeanne Demessieux.</P>

Comment

Maestro SB32,</p>

I am spoiled rotten because of Mlle. Demessieux's incomparable recordings.  She holds me spell-bound.  I found it interesting that Mme. Alain had done this recording at La Madeleine less than a year after Mlle. Demessieux's repose - almost as if as an homage to Mlle. Demessieux.  I recall reading about Mlle. Demessieux saying: *I can hear the flutes of La Madeleine* whilst she was in the throes of battling cancer.  It makes me weep bitter tears that she lost the battle at such a young age.  Imagine if she had lived another forty or so years - how many more she could have reached - Ah well, we who still are wayfaring through this transitory life have our work cut out for us.</p>

Respectfully,</p>

K-phone   : - )</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

Comment

The short life of Demessieux - tragic.</P>

But look at it this way - she is forever young, and her mystique is only increased.</P>

In fact, she has reached many people and continues to do so.</P>

Comment

I've never heard the Demessieux recordings, but based on this glowing report, I'll have to seek them out.

Comment

[quote user="SimonS"]I've never heard the Demessieux recordings, but based on this glowing report, I'll have to seek them out.
            [/quote]</p>

Aloha SimonS,</p>

Be prepared to have your world turned upside down in re to playing and registration for Franck.  Have a look at what resources Mlle. Demessieux had at her disposal at La Madeleine.  That baby is exceedingly rich in 8' flute tone but in fine proportion overall to the ensemble.  It reaffirms my implicit trust in the absolute mastery of how Cavaille-Coll envisioned and designed his oeuvre.  If there were a UNESCO list of who's interpretational skill of Franck is worthy to be saved for future generations, she would be on the short-list.  She is THAT good!!!</p>

Humbly,</p>

K-phone </p>

Ps: Try to get a hold of Martin Welzel's doctoral dissertation on the life of Jeanne Demessieux.  </p>

</p>

Comment

Working...
            X