This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Modern Harpsichord

[quote user="soubasse32"]Not sure what you mean when you say the harpsichord "gets in the way in period practice recordings"? Are you saying the harpsichord's sound is distracting?

Have you been to a liveearly music concert, performed on period instruments? You will see that the harpsichord is barely audible, but it adds 'bite' to the attack of the entire ensemble-somewhat similar to the effect of chiff in an organ pipe.[/quote][quote user="Austin766"]I suppose that that is exactly what I should have said, I find it distracting. I have not had the opportunity to attend such a performance. I ought to go to a performance by Apollo's Fire.[/quote]Hie thee thither, thatthey may pourtheir spirits in thine ear! [8-|]</P>

Comment

[quote user="soubasse32"]

Contrast this example of a modern-eraChalliswith a period Taskinharpsichord from 1787. There is a 'vivacious' quality to the tone of the Taskin that gives it a beautiful sheen; it is thrilling to hear this quality as she passes through each octave. The harmonics of the Challis are much noisier - there seems to be more inharmonicity present.</P>

[/quote]</P>
      <P mce_keep="true"></P>

How in the world can you compare the Challis with the Taskin given the disparity in quality of recording? Hardly a fair comparison at all.</P>

Comment

[quote user="telemanr"][quote user="soubasse32"]Contrast this example of a modern-eraChalliswith a period Taskinharpsichord from 1787. There is a 'vivacious' quality to the tone of the Taskin that gives it a beautiful sheen; it is thrilling to hear this quality as she passes through each octave. The harmonics of the Challis are much noisier - there seems to be more inharmonicity present.[/quote]How in the world can you compare the Challis with the Taskin given the disparity in quality of recording? Hardly a fair comparison at all.[/quote]Yes that is patently obvious, but unavoidable; unfortunately (after searching a very long time) I foundnomodern recordings of Challis instruments posted on YouTube (whichI take asanother indication of theunpopularity ofthe 'modern-revival' style of harpsichord).

Without any audio/video samples whatsoever folks would just have to take my word for what I profess to know about harpsichords; [] at leastbyposting someclips/recordings people may better draw their own conclusions.</P>

Comment

Idon't think that clip helps whatsoever. I'm perfectly willing to accept your assessment. It's just that that sample doesn't corroborate it except in the sense that it sounds awful but not because we're actually hearing a fair representation of its sound. </P>

That said, I agree with you about the general sound one gets with that style of instrument. Some sound as ifcrochet hooks were used as plectra: harsh, loud, and completely lacking in subtlety.</P>

Comment

Working...
          X