This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just courtesy to ask. Now on to your questions:

- this system is obviously not for moving an organ on a trailer of around the house. A reasonable flat floor is best, off-roading is no option. But as the organ doesn't fit though the door that isn't the problem. It is just so you can put it against the wall to gain space and pull it a bit forward if you need access to the interior.
    - I used an 18mm and 9 mm plywood. The btu's are mounted on the 18mm one and the 9mm is screwed and glued on the bottom to give a bit more material and make it easier to "countersink" the btu's. I'd liked to use heavier material but right now I have 2cm space to the ceiling.
    - these aren't shims, it are wedges to keep it from moving. At that time I was putting the organ back together after moving and this was done to keep it from rolling around. In use it is against the wall, the platform sits against the wall as it is at the back a bit larger than the organ. And I use 2 wedge at the front under the pedals to keep it there. Simple and crude but it works. As the floor is flat enough there is no provision to level it. This would complicate it a lot and probably not work either. If you want to level this the platform should be far more rigid so the frame of the organ cannot twist.
    - for the pedals I just made a piece of wood that sits under the back of them to get them at the same height as the platform. The bench goes over the pedals and sits on loose planks so it can be adjusted that way.
    - I haven't had any damage so far. But then it is moved maybe once or twice a year and very carrefully as well. Bench and pedals are removed before you can move the organ. The whole organ weighs in at 450 kg. And the balls are 30mm or so diameter. When moving there are at most one or two that don't touch the ground because they are in a grout. So the pressure isn't that high. The tiles are also through ceramic ones, not with enamel on top.

Comment

Havoc,

Thank you for your answers. I may do this when I finally get to my pipe organ. I can imagine the organ might chase you down when the floor isn't level!

Great information, all.

Michael
      Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
      • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
      • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

Oh yes, you can move it with one hand!

Comment

Havoc,
          Put some sheet music on the rack and you have 1000 pounds of organ there!! (Just kidding about the music) .I would say your design is successful if you can move it with one hand! Got any photos of the complete organ, pipes, whistles and all?

Comment

Originally posted by robmcginn View Post
            Havoc,
            Put some sheet music on the rack and you have 1000 pounds of organ there!! (Just kidding about the music) .I would say your design is successful if you can move it with one hand! Got any photos of the complete organ, pipes, whistles and all?
            Didn't have a photo at hand and as the room was being worked on I only took a photo last weekend. Here it sits in its location on the platform waiting for being tuned. You can also see the piece of wood under the back of the pedals and the same under the bench.

As you can see not much space above it.

Comment

Originally posted by Havoc View Post
              Didn't have a photo at hand and as the room was being worked on I only took a photo last weekend. Here it sits in its location on the platform waiting for being tuned. You can also see the piece of wood under the back of the pedals and the same under the bench.
              Havoc,

Thank you so much for sharing this with us, and for sharing the details on your platform.

Michael
              Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
              • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
              • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
              • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

Working...
              X