Organ Platform Build - Quick, but Sorta Crude

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update time.
    I got my platform built and my organ moved out of my mom's house and in into my house this weekend.
    I remembered to take pictures, but my phone died Saturday night before I routed the hinges. So, I missed a few.
    By the time I got to the shop my plan looked like this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0033.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	604199Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0035.jpg
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	604200

I pre-drilled all of the holes for the screws because I didn't want the birch ply to split.

Name:	IMAG0036.jpg
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	604201

Then I glued and screwed the frame together but I did not screw the frames to the panels. Instead, I used some more birch ply to double up where the casters would go. I screwed the doublers to the panels so that the frame would line up flush with the edge of the panel.

Name:	IMAG0042.jpg
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	604202

I added some birch ply joists next to the doublers. The joists where screwed to the frame using pre-drilled holes and some 3" wood screws.

Name:	IMAG0043.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	604203
    Last edited by samibe; 04-09-2018, 08:43 AM.
    Sam
    Home: Allen ADC-4500 Church: Allen MDS-5
    Files: Allen Tone Card (TC) Database, TC Info, TC Converter, TC Mixer, ADC TC SF2, and MOS TC SF2, ADC TC Cad/Rvt, MOS TC Cad/Rvt, Organ Database, Music Library, etc. PM for unlinked files.

Comment

Name:	IMAG0046.jpg
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	604204 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0048.jpg
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	604205Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0052.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	604206Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0056.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	604207

At this point my phone battery died. So, there aren't any more pictures for the day. I routed the recesses for the hinges and then sanded everything. I ended up using a buzz sander to put a 3/16" radius roundover on all of the exterior corners. I used some scrap formica to protect the top of the birch ply panels while I sanded the roundover on the inside of the lip. I put the completed platform halves in the paint room and added a coat of paint to the bottom before quitting for the night.
      Last edited by samibe; 04-09-2018, 08:41 AM.
      Sam
      Files: Allen Tone Card (TC) Database, TC Info, TC Converter, TC Mixer, ADC TC SF2, and MOS TC SF2, ADC TC Cad/Rvt, MOS TC Cad/Rvt, Organ Database, Music Library, etc. PM for unlinked files.

Comment

The next morning I sanded the bottom of the platform halves and applied a second coat of paint before flipping the platform pieces over and applying a coat to the top.
        I ended up applying three coats of paint to the top. (The second picture shows the hinge recesses).

Name:	IMAG0063.jpg
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	604208 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0062.jpg
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	604209

I rented a 5'x8' Uhaul to move the organ. This is how close my organ fit in it. At my mom's house, I could back it right up to the front porch. I also managed to get the platform to fit, though it was wedged between the organ straps and the bench/pedals.

Name:	IMAG0072.jpg
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	604210

My brother and I installed the casters and hinges after unloading the trailer at my house.

Name:	IMAG0075.jpg
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	604211

Here is the completed platform.

Name:	IMAG0076.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	604212
        Last edited by samibe; 04-09-2018, 08:48 AM.
        Sam

Comment

Wow Sam, that is ELEGANT !

That will really be fine furniture when you are done with it. It is apparent that you are pretty adept with woodworking, perhaps even a professional. And what a nice, well equipped, spacious shop you have there.

Thanks for the photos !
          Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 ! ), E-5AR ( X 2, 1 parts, 1 not ), D80 ( parts ), FX-1, FX-20, HS-7T ( parts ), EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen organs : T12-A, T-12B, ADC-6000D. Baldwin 626. Hammond Concorde. Lowrey CH32-1. A bunch of Synthesizers and Keyboards. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with VISTA ), Hammond A105, Baldwin 720T, Several small and medium size pipe organs of many sorts and builders.

Comment

My brother and I lifted the organ onto the platform.

Name:	IMAG0077.jpg
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	604213

My plan for the hinges ended up working great. I slid the hinges away from the edge far enough that they ended up underneath the pedal board.

Name:	IMAG0090.jpg
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	604214Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0085.jpg
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	604215

In the end I have a platform that is as small as possible (just big enough for the organ), rolls pretty easily, looks just fine in the living room, and has no visible hardware (screws, hinges (unless you know where to look), or casters). I think it's a success. Now my wife just has to get used to the new, looming, piece of furniture in the living room.

Edit: I opted not to add the power strip to the platform. I still might in the future but right now the regular power cord reaches just fine to the outlet behind the piano. I'll have to add the power strip if I want to use the outlet behind the organ. My plan for the power strip would be to drill some larger holes between the platform halves to pass the wires through, drill a hole through the top of the organ side of the platform just big enough for the organ plug to pass through (and maybe the power strip plug, too), attach the wires to the underside of the platform panels, mount a power strip under the bench side of the platform, and leave enough slack in the wires so that folding the platform does not pull on the wires.

Thanks, Larry. My dad was the pro. I just spent my entire childhood at the shop playing and working. The shop is well equipped, but my mom is renting it out. Every time I use the shop to build something, I end up wasting an hour or two looking for things because the renters have rearranged everything.
            Last edited by samibe; 04-09-2018, 09:06 AM.
            Sam

Comment

Sam,

Excellent work! I wish I had your skills and time. I'm not sure how quick and crude your platform was--I'd hire you any time!

I liked how you reinforced the ends where the casters (& weight) would be on the platform. That helps make sure they won't pull out when they meet the lip of the door between rooms. By any chance, can you take the organ off the platform and take photos of how you dealt with the screw holes for the casters on the surface area? (Just kidding!).

It can't be said enough--excellent work!

Michael

P.S. I really envy your work area. Fancy you making me fall into the sin of envy.
              Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
              • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
              • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
              • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
                By any chance, can you take the organ off the platform and take photos of how you dealt with the screw holes for the casters on the surface area? (Just kidding!).
                Sam

Comment

Sam,

Now the $10 million question--when you play the pedals, does the sound of the action transmit to the platform? I played on an Allen in college that had a platform which came from either the dealer or the company. When I played the pedals, the platform amplified the sound of the pedals, and it was quite distracting. One almost had to tiptoe to keep from making a clattering sound. It was solved by fitting a couple sheets of insulation in the cavity under the pedals so that cavity didn't serve as a resonator.

I noticed how you made the dog "walk the plank" in post #18 too! It's like the steps were made for the trailer.

Michael
                  Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                  • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                  • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                  • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
                    Now the $10 million question--when you play the pedals, does the sound of the action transmit to the platform? I played on an Allen in college that had a platform which came from either the dealer or the company. When I played the pedals, the platform amplified the sound of the pedals, and it was quite distracting. One almost had to tiptoe to keep from making a clattering sound. It was solved by fitting a couple sheets of insulation in the cavity under the pedals so that cavity didn't serve as a resonator.
                    Michael,

The pedal action should transmit its vibrations directly to the floor.
                    I was hoping that my design would result in the pedalboard bearing points occurring over the casters or the frame joists and not on an unsupported area of the platform. That should reduce the amount of vibration from the action that can get transferred to any diaphragm-like surfaces. Since the platform and organ are over hardwood floor that isn't the quietest, the floor might be just as much to blame as the platform if the pedal action noise is too much.
                    So far (in the few minutes I've had to try it out), the platform doesn't seem to amplify the pedal action. I'll report back if it is too annoying and I have to take some platform dampening measures.
                    Sam

Comment

Well, it's been a few months and the platform is still working well. It doesn't amplify the pedal action any more than the floor would. Despite the fact that the organ and platform are directly over the family room where my wife likes to watch TV while I practice, my wife still says she can't hear me practicing (unless she listens for it) and I don't really hear anything from the TV. It has also been really nice to move and work on the organ.
                      Sam

Comment

Working...
                      X