X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baldwin EA-5, CS5, Rescue Job

Hi all,

After digging out from this past weekends blizzard here ( 18" of wet heavy snow - Spring in WI ! ), yesterday we went to a church to rescue a Baldwin amp and speaker system remains. Some years ago the church had their Baldwin 626 up for grabs, and I went to look at it. It was in awful condition, so I passed on it. In the course of our conversation, I was told that the external speakers and amp were still installed in a "very high inaccessible" location in the sanctuary, and that no one could possibly get them out. As I was not interested in the organ at that time, I did not bother to find out more about the equipment.

Then last fall I acquired a different Baldwin 626 that is in pretty good shape. There are some issues with it, but not with the major circuit board connections that they are prone to having ( so far, I suppose ). The pedal division on it is limited ( no 16' reed even ), and rather weak with just the console audio. I tried putting the lo pass channel though an external keyboard amp I have, and that made it better. After reading on this forum all about the versatility of the EA-5 amp ( thanks Jbird ! ), that jogged my memory of the abandoned system sitting in a church sorta near me. I contacted the pastor there and he had someone look for the equipment to see if it was still there. And indeed it was - still in that same "very high inaccessible" location. I went there to look at this location and see if he would be OK with me removing the stuff. After some discussion about how I would do the job, he agreed to let me rescue it. Photos were taken, a plan was made, and yesterday we did it. Not nearly as tough a job as the pastor thought of course. But then most pastors are not people afflicted with OAS ( Organ Acquisition Syndrome ), nor do they do this sort of job regularly.

The CS5 was missing all the fake pipes ( obviously someone was up there to remove them ! ) but the EA-5 and bass cabinet were still there. I have not tested the amp yet, and the 12" speakers have rotted foam. But I am pleased with having the amp for minimal cost ( pay my helper, buy lunch, and fuel cost to go get it ). When I re-home the 626, the amp may go with it or not, depending. I think it may be nice to just have it in the shop anyhow. The attached photos pretty much tell the story of how it was done. The main problem was to avoid doing any further damage ( someone else had already caved in the top of it ) to the air system duct running behind the wall. Those folding multi position ladders are perfect for this sort of thing.

It just goes to show : if someone put equipment somewhere, someone else CAN get it out. Very few churches are built "around" an organ after all. It also struck me as a being terrible location for the CS5 speaker system to begin with. What was the original installer thinking ?
    Attached Files
    Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), US-1, EL-25 ( Chopped ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755. 1919 Wangerin 2/7 pipe organ.

Here are some more photos.
    Attached Files
    Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), US-1, EL-25 ( Chopped ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755. 1919 Wangerin 2/7 pipe organ.

Comment

And a couple more photos.
      Attached Files
      Regards, Larry

Comment

Working...
      X