Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should a male organist wear while playing a funeral?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should a male organist wear while playing a funeral?

Should I wear the traditional black suit, white shirt and black tie?
    How about a suit of different color?
    I'd like to know what some you are wearing while working a funeral.
    Thank you
    Hammond SK1-61

I wear a dark navy blue suit,light blue shirt and tie.

Michael

Comment

As a female organist, I can't really respond to the question, can I?
      I prefer dark navy over black, too. I find the colour decent and elegant enough and leave the black to the pastor and the family.

Comment

I've just done funerals at my own church. I've worn a choir robe (just like Sunday) and that ends the question for me. And omit the stole or overlay, if that seems too improper for the occasion.

Comment

If you don't were vestments, I like a navy blazer. It can be worn with grey slacks, a white shirt and tie for solemn occasions. It is one of the most versatile items in a man's wardrobe. For informal occasions, you could wear a sport shirt and dressy jeans. If you want to be a bit more dressed up, substitute white linen slacks.
          Bill

My home organ: Content M5800

Comment

I wear vestments, cassock and organists cotta.

Comment

I always wear black dress pants, and the shirt will vary depending on the circumstances I will be playing for / at. A lot of churches around here have the instrument ( not always an organ ! ) in the front of the church. In that case I wear a subdued color / pattern of shirt, and a black sport coat. But I do not like playing with the sport coat on, so that comes off before I play, and that makes the shirt choice more important.

I guess I never considered wearing a white shirt, but then I don't even own one.

If I am playing from the balcony, there have been times where I did not really dress up, but made sure that the shirt was nice. That's all anyone sees of you anyhow.
              Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 ! ), E-5AR ( X 2, 1 parts, 1 not ), D80 ( parts ), FX-1, FX-20, HS-7T ( parts ), EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen organs : T12-A, T-12B, ADC-6000D. Baldwin 626. Hammond Concorde. Lowrey CH32-1. A bunch of Synthesizers and Keyboards. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with VISTA ), Hammond A105, Baldwin 720T, Several small and medium size pipe organs of many sorts and builders.

Comment

I usually wear a white shirt, subdued tie, and brown slacks. I'll bring my sport coat (which goes well with the slacks) and decide whether to wear it after I arrive and see how formally other attendees are dressed. I should probably get a navy and/or black outfit as well but for the funerals I've attended or played for so far black has not been required.
                Sam
                Home: Allen ADC-4500 Church: Allen MDS-5
                Files: Allen Tone Card (TC) Database, TC Info, TC Converter, TC Mixer, ADC TC SF2, and MOS TC SF2, ADC TC Cad/Rvt, MOS TC Cad/Rvt, Organ Database, Music Library, etc. PM for unlinked files.

Comment

Working...
                X