Dream Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dream Job

Click image for larger version  Name:	10PixelH.jpg Views:	7 Size:	167 Bytes ID:	749213Click image for larger version  Name:	pixelBackgroundOrange.jpg Views:	0 Size:	285 Bytes ID:	749212
    Click image for larger version  Name:	organJob.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.5 KB ID:	749208
    Found on Facebook. Might as well as get a minimum wage job. At least you won't have to bring your own keyboard and speakers and you'll make more.😀
    Last edited by Admin; 12-05-2020, 09:55 AM.
    -Admin

Allen 965
    Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
    Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
    Hauptwerk 4.2

Gotta be satire.

Comment

Seriously, a 12pm service? The Sunday buffets will be out of food by the time that service is over!

Comment

Sounds horrific, but actually not far off the mark for some churches I know. We have a few near-cult-like churches among our clients where the pastor has something for the people to come to church for nearly every night of the week. To keep them out of trouble, I guess.

And when the church where I'd served 17 years without pay as organist, choir director, and worker in several other ministries got a fundamentalist control-freak pastor, one of the charges he hit me with when he "fired" me was that I didn't support him by coming to his Bible studies on Wednesday nights. He seriously believed that anybody who held any kind of office or position was supposed to be there every time the door was open to "support him" in "his" ministry. (And yes, I'm still a little bitter about all that, even though I've had a far better life overall since leaving that denomination behind.)
        John
        ----------
        *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

• you795a
          you795a commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, some pastors can be "control freaks". At the church I used to worship, if you didn't do what the pastor or his henchmen said, you were blackballed. I left there very abruptly when someone almost took a swing at me with a closed fist. Later I found out that punches did indeed fly between a few people.

• jbird604
          jbird604 commented
          Editing a comment
          Goodness! Glad you got out of there in one piece! I'm really done with churches where violence and power over other people are actually encouraged. Life is too short to mess with that.

And all in the name of Jesus. I've long felt that many denominations, pastors and priests have lost sight of the mission and let dogma and ego take over.
        Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand. Allen RMWTHEA.3 with RMI Electra-Piano; Allen 423-C+Gyro; Britson Opus OEM38; Saville Series IV Opus 209; Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI; Hammond 9812H with roll player; Gulbransen Rialto; Roland E-200; Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with MIDI.

Comment

• you795a
          you795a commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree, at least in my area.

Sounds like a church I grew up in and I’m not exaggerating. Two services on Sunday, Tuesday night missionary service, Wednesday night Bible Study, Friday night young people’s meeting and Saturday evening instruction for the Elders. However, Monday and Thursday were off nights. As a teenager, I played my guitar for praise worship for Sunday night and Friday. In order to participate in the music (no pay of course), it was required to attend ALL the services. And being "saved" (according to their teaching) was an absolute must. The things some of us have done and endured for the sake of Christ...
        Lloyd

Happily retired organist/pianist from the Church of the Brethren...Allen ADC-4300-DK.
        Home...Wurlitzer (ES) Orgatron Series 20 Serial #11608 (retrofitted with MIDI and VPO-Hauptwerk) with Leslie 44W (shorty).
        Hammond BC Serial #5070 with Leslie 31A (tallboy) tone cabinet
        A.L. Swan antique pump organ (C.1852) Cherry Valley NY
        Member of the Lutheran Church (LCMS): traditional worship. Cleveland Clinic Spiritual Care volunteer with the chaplain's office.

Comment

• jbird604
          jbird604 commented
          Editing a comment
          We live and learn! It pains me to see younger people still in bondage to that kind of church, but there is little use in talking to them about it. People mostly have to learn stuff the hard way.

• myorgan
          myorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          In reality, isn't that what's happening in many churches today with contemporary services. They bring in young people to play various instruments for the "praise band," while expecting free donation of their skills. There is something to be said for offering your skills and abilities to the Lord, but it needs to be an "offering" rather than a "requirement."

Michael

Reminds me of a recent ad I saw which said they were selling their organ because they no longer had anyone to play it. I presume that meant they always had a parishioner who played for free and never had to pay an organist. So either they are too poor to pay someone or never considered that option after going for so long with out having to do so.
        Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand. Allen RMWTHEA.3 with RMI Electra-Piano; Allen 423-C+Gyro; Britson Opus OEM38; Saville Series IV Opus 209; Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI; Hammond 9812H with roll player; Gulbransen Rialto; Roland E-200; Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with MIDI.

Comment

Originally posted by AllenAnalog View Post
          Reminds me of a recent ad I saw which said they were selling their organ because they no longer had anyone to play it. I presume that meant they always had a parishioner who played for free and never had to pay an organist. So either they are too poor to pay someone or never considered that option after going for so long with out having to do so.
          My guess is not wanting to pay anyone as an organist. I was the first organist/pianist to be paid in the church I retired from. Until then, it had always been a volunteered position for a long time.
          Lloyd

Happily retired organist/pianist from the Church of the Brethren...Allen ADC-4300-DK.
          Home...Wurlitzer (ES) Orgatron Series 20 Serial #11608 (retrofitted with MIDI and VPO-Hauptwerk) with Leslie 44W (shorty).
          Hammond BC Serial #5070 with Leslie 31A (tallboy) tone cabinet
          A.L. Swan antique pump organ (C.1852) Cherry Valley NY
          Member of the Lutheran Church (LCMS): traditional worship. Cleveland Clinic Spiritual Care volunteer with the chaplain's office.

Comment

Many churches look back on the "glory days" of the 1950's - 60's when a large number of young people were taking piano lessons, thus supplying churches with a vast pool of free talent. If you grew up in a Southern Baptist church or possibly Nazarene or other evangelical denomination, you will recognize this picture. It's quite different from the musical and cultural environment of the mainline churches, but this represented the vast majority of people in my growing up years. Few such churches had professional or ministerial positions for keyboardists, it was simply assumed that there were plenty of volunteers.

Some of these piano pupils were truly talented and dedicated and wanted to serve as church organist or pianist as a ministry. Some were just "show-offs" who took pleasure in being in the limelight for an hour on Sunday morning. Some were pushed into it by their parents. But most churches were able to get a few people to sign up for the job, a pretty deep "bench" (pun intended) so that the services never went without someone to provide keyboard music. The "main" pianist and/or organist would be the town's renowned piano teacher who might have 30 or 40 of the local kids in his/her studio. Everybody served gladly without pay of course.

Reality today -- people don't have nearly as many kids, to begin with, and very few of them are taking piano lessons. A lot of kids are more interested in getting into a rock band than in learning to play for church. And there are a lot better ways to get attention these days than to play the piano at church. Thus the pool is far smaller, practically non-existent in many places. And that little old lady/man piano/organ teacher is 95 years old or in the cemetery.

Churches that ran 200 or 300 back in the 50's now draw a handful of the faithful, most of them retired, some of them pushing 90 years old. They still want music, and they want music like they once had, but there is no free piano or organ player to help. The lucky ones find a talented student from the nearby college town to come out on Sundays, the less lucky wind up paying some barely-literate yahoo who plinks around and makes some kind of noises on the organ/piano. But it's a sad situation for many.

John
            ----------
            *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

At the church I attend I play the organ on the last verse of one hymn; everything else is praise band. In the past 30 years I have seen the organ become an anachronism. The head of the music ministry has even had the output level of the organ turned down so I don't get "too loud." I'm not supposed to play any classical organ pieces for a prelude. I have to play something based on a recognizable hymn (recognizable by the head of the music ministry, that is.)

Comment

• jbird604
                jbird604 commented
                Editing a comment
                Michael, we organists are the "haute couture" of the dining world!

• tbeck
                tbeck commented
                Editing a comment
                John, you left out the Kraft macaroni and cheese.

• jbird604
                jbird604 commented
                Editing a comment
                I thought about mac and cheese after I'd already posted that! Good stuff!

Originally posted by tbeck View Post
              Gotta be satire.
              Ya think??!

Comment

Working...
              X