X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admin
    replied
    Re: Use of forum postings in promotional materials

Copyright or no, pulling a sentence or two from a public internet forum would probably be regarded as "fair use" by the courts. The purpose of the copyright statement at the bottom of this forum is to serve as deterent from some one downloading the forum data en masse and redistributing it either in like or some other manner.</P>

Leave a comment:

• quantum
    replied

John, interestingly enough when I was reading the sales ad of the organ I recently purchased part of the wordings sounded familiar. Indeed after a quick forum search, they were words you used to describe the organ model. </p>

Guess I could say, you indirectly influenced me to get the organ I did. [:D]
    </p>

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

jbird, you bring up some great points, and thank-you for those. </p>

However, I should warn you -if you do not know already- that a simple Google search can bring up posts here. Several weeks ago I Googled Cameron Carpenter, and lo and behold one of my negative posts from about 18 months ago came up! I've since changed my opinion of this chap, but there's no telling what a non-member could do with nasty things said about an organist or organ builder.
    </p>

Some forums require one to be a member to read threads -thus bypassing Google's tentacles- and our Admin might consider that. Yet, I'm reluctant to register on a forum if I cannot get a taste beforehand of what's going on.
    </p>

Leave a comment:

• OrgansR4Me
    replied

I appreciate your statement! I wish the forum administrator would make a policy statement on the issue. As Andy and many other very knowledgable contributors have said, each of us have a tonal bent and manufacturing favorites; but we have no intention of condemning or endorsing any commercial venture. Our comments are simply a free exchange of ideas that help us use and enjoy the organs we have the opportunity of playing. Thank you, John, for providing such valuable leadership to the forum members.

Leave a comment:

• jbird604
    started a topic Use of forum postings in promotional materials

Use of forum postings in promotional materials

Apparently,certain statementsmade inposts to this forumhave beenused as "ammunition" againstcompetitorsin organ sales presentations or materials distributedby a number of dealers or salespersons in several different countries.</P>

Just thought everyone out there should be aware that this "harvesting" of our comments is being done. While this forum is and should be a place where we can freely express our thoughts on all things organ, there is no telling who may see what we write and what use may be made of our ideas and even our words.</P>

I note that Zuma Group Inc. is now the copyright holder of the forum materials, and I assume that anyone using our posts for commercial purposes would be in violation of copyright laws.</P>

Personally, I would like to give notice that anything I may post here, while obviously viewable by anyone with a computer, should not be copied or reproduced for any commercial purposes.</P>

I wonder if others would join me in making such a statement.</P>

John</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
Working...
X