No announcement yet.

What's a piano??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never thought to search craigslist for "piano" in hopes of finding a mislabeled keyboard, but now I just might see if there's anything good amongst the myriad free uprights
    I probably own too many keyboards
    https://bensnacksturner.com/the-fleet/

Comment

• musicgeek854
      musicgeek854 commented
      Editing a comment
      If you find a good Karn you'll definitely be happy. My Karn is very durable (not to mention weighs probably+/-600 lbs). Also The sound is very good.

Originally posted by snacks View Post
    I never thought to search craigslist for "piano" in hopes of finding a mislabeled keyboard, but now I just might see if there's anything good amongst the myriad free uprights
    Good luck with that. Most freebies are landfill looking for a truck.
    -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
    Leslie 147 #F7453 in the queue.
    Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

• musicgeek854
      musicgeek854 commented
      Editing a comment
      Some people don't like uprights but not all of them are junk. I have a Karn upright piano and It may need some minor maintenance but it sounds great!

I was on leave from the Army killing time at the USO in downtown San Diego when I saw a 'music room' with a piano. To my great surprise, it was a 76-key acoustic (I had never seen one), but the instrument was totally unplayable. Utterly out of tune and about a third of the keys did not sound. It was the only time I wished for a digital piano. Also, the irony of a beat-up old piano in a brand-new facility was an amusing disparity.
    Allen, circa 2006

Comment

• musicgeek854
      musicgeek854 commented
      Editing a comment
      So many uprights that haven't been taken care of.

Hmm... Could I put my guitar amp close to the piano strings for better sound?

Comment

Originally posted by musicgeek854 View Post
      Hmm... Could I put my guitar amp close to the piano strings for better sound?
      Not necessarily "better". But do it, you'll be amazed. Even a small zither does this impressively.

Comment

Just for the sympathetic vibration. I definitely want to try it.

Comment

KC9UDX. For some reason, the answer I gave to your question about putting mikes inside digitals for sympathetic resonance is not there any more - just the quote from your post.

For the record, Yamaha did just that for some years, they called it iAFC. Inter Active Field Control. It worked effectively but technology has marched on a long way since. Now we have damper resonance and sympathetic string resonance as a matter of course from mid range digital pianos upwards. In fact Kawai have now put it into sub $1000 pianos.

No it won't ring if you shout next to it, but it is very effective! As for actions, some top end digitals from Yamaha and Kawai are now taking a real grand piano action and transplanting it!
          It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
          Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
          Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Comment

• snacks
            snacks commented
            Editing a comment
            Just a couple months ago a friend told me about a Kawai piano with the real grand action. Sounds like a great idea, if a bit heavy. In the end my friend went with a Roland keyboard for portability - he had trouble getting the Kawai up and down stairs for gigs, and the hard case didn't help the weight

I love the idea of the real piano action. btw do pipe organs have sympathetic resonance?

Comment

• snacks
            snacks commented
            Editing a comment
            Not to the extent a piano does, I don't think... But I'd never thought of that. I'm guessing the sound is lost in a pipe organ sized room where you're not as close to the pipes as you are to a piano's strings
        Working...
        X