No announcement yet.

Why do I have no place in this Forum?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this Forum is more of a technical forum rather than a Player's forum.

I see that you are already a member of the Home Organist and Keyboard Players group on Facebook. This is probably a more suitable group for posting performance videos of instruments with automatic accompaniments.

I watched your Phantom of the Opera medley and I will offer some feedback.

https://organforum.com/forums/showth...l=1#post490662

I saw exactly what I expected, which was essentially a single finger melody played over the top of a (semi) automatic backing track. This is what these instruments are designed to do and they do it well.

The introduction to the video goes for 43 seconds. It is WAY too long - I almost lost interest before you even started playing.

Camera angles were good and the editing was good.
    At least I saw you playing the Lowrey Organ. Many videos show no actual playing and just have the audio track, which is boring

The video goes for almost 15 minutes which is WAY beyond most people's interest and attention spans.

People make quick choices: do I watch this or just move on; and even if they watch it, do I finish this or move on; and if they finish it do I leave a comment or not.

Make your videos snappy, engaging, entertaining and interesting.

And give your prospective audience some context for your videos when you post them. Don't just drop them without any description or just saying "I'll just put this here...". Most people will just bypass the post

In the end, all that matters is that you are enjoying it and getting pleasure out of it
    Last edited by Momboc; 10-25-2018, 03:13 AM.
    My MIDI controlled, module and software driven virtual 'organ' thread is here: http://www.organforum.com/forums/sho...l=1#post427320

Comment

Joe, I read your comments here, first, and then went to the site...where your video is posted. I think you are doing a terrific job at that organ. You have a good sense of timing, and you have pretty well mastered the various controls on that organ. Many years ago, I gave my mother a Hammond chord organ, and she got busy with it and learned to play a lot of songs on it. She got good enough to play in front of her organ club friends. Your playing reminds me of those long gone days when she, like you, got a lot of fun, and pride, out of making music. It's quite obvious that you have put in a lot of time, memorizing your Phantom of The Opera Suite, and getting all the orchestrations down just right.

I encourage you to continue working at the organ, and looking around your area for a hobby type organ club that you can participate with fellow members, showing off your accomplishments, and sharing your music, and their music with each other. If you don't have an organ club in your area, you might want to get with your local music dealer, and try to get him to give you a few names to contact, and start up your own club. Many music clubs are started this way, and they can be a rewarding experience for all members, becoming more proficient with their instruments, and learning new pieces of music along the way. You play well enough to be one of the "star members" of such a club. Keep up your good work.

Comment

Originally posted by Momboc View Post
        I see that you are already a member of the Home Organist and Keyboard Players group on Facebook. This is probably a more suitable group for posting performance videos of instruments with automatic accompaniments.
        This is what I'm talking about. What I get from statements like these are "Because I'm not a 'real' organist, I don't belong here.". So maybe this isn't the venue for me.

I watched your Phantom of the Opera medley and I will offer some feedback.

https://organforum.com/forums/showth...l=1#post490662

I saw exactly what I expected, which was essentially a single finger melody played over the top of a (semi) automatic backing track. This is what these instruments are designed to do and they do it well.
        You saw what you expected, did you hear what you expected?

The introduction to the video goes for 43 seconds. It is WAY too long - I almost lost interest before you even started playing.
        Yes I agree. I'm thinking of a way to shorten my "Anadrac Organ Works" jingle. Some feedback I've received is to get rid of the Intro and End Credits completely. I think that's what distinguishes me from other musicians/Video Editors. Do you have ideas to help me with this issue?

Camera angles were good and the editing was good. At least I saw you playing the Lowrey Organ.
        Thank you

The video goes for almost 15 minutes which is WAY beyond most people's interest and attention spans.
        Now imagine you live with me and have to hear it 15 times a day. My poor wife. And I agree. The songs should be 3-5 minutes. I've wanted to play "Phantom" for 20 years now. And now that I can, I made an exception. One person even wrote "I actually watched the whole thing."

People make quick choices: do I watch this or just move on; and even if they watch it, do I finish this or move on; and if they finish it do I leave a comment or not.
        Good Point.

Make your videos snappy, engaging, entertaining and interesting.
        Hmm, a challenge

And give your prospective audience some context for your videos when you post them. Don't just drop them without any description or just saying "I'll just put this here...". Most people will just bypass the post
        That's the exact same thing My wife said. I should start listening.

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Jay999 View Post
        Joe, I read your comments here, first, and then went to the site...where your video is posted. I think you are doing a terrific job at that organ. You have a good sense of timing, and you have pretty well mastered the various controls on that organ. Many years ago, I gave my mother a Hammond chord organ, and she got busy with it and learned to play a lot of songs on it. She got good enough to play in front of her organ club friends. Your playing reminds me of those long gone days when she, like you, got a lot of fun, and pride, out of making music. It's quite obvious that you have put in a lot of time, memorizing your Phantom of The Opera Suite, and getting all the orchestrations down just right.

I encourage you to continue working at the organ, and looking around your area for a hobby type organ club that you can participate with fellow members, showing off your accomplishments, and sharing your music, and their music with each other. If you don't have an organ club in your area, you might want to get with your local music dealer, and try to get him to give you a few names to contact, and start up your own club. Many music clubs are started this way, and they can be a rewarding experience for all members, becoming more proficient with their instruments, and learning new pieces of music along the way. You play well enough to be one of the "star members" of such a club. Keep up your good work.
        My dealer wanted to start a "Lunch with Lowrey" but there was a lack of interest. I do plan on putting on a concert at her shop in May'19.
        Current Instrument... Lowrey (EX5000) Marquee
        Previous Instruments Lowrey (LX500) Celebration | Yamaha (FX20) Electone | Lowrey (C500) Celebration | Lowrey (CO80) Contempo 80
        Videos & Files........... "Anadrac Organ Works" on YouTube | More organ music on my website
        Find me on .............. Facebook | More About Me
        Location .................. Rio Rancho, NM: USA

Comment

I watched the entire video, too. Well, I *listened* to the entire video, but after marveling at how everything came together and how little effort it seemed to take (which I'm sure was deceptive) I wandered off with it still playing. I could hear it, though, and I let it run to the end. You did a great job with it and you should be proud of it.
          -- I'm Lamar -- 1967 Allen TC-4 Project (forum thread)
          -- 1899 Kimball Parlor Organ (forum thread)
          -- 1999 Rodgers W5000C and Hauptwerk - spare W5000C for spares
          -- Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3 and E-112 - Roland RD300nx stage piano
          -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

Well, I put on the Phantom youtube but after watching a few minutes I just let it play and listened. I admit it is not the music I would play and I'm not very knowledgable about those sort of organs or that music.

This music took me right back to the '70's-'80's. It's a very typical style and genre that has been very popular but honestly is not much heard these days. (just like cocktail bar piano music) And from what I understand of it is that you really need to understand your instrument to be able to pull it off. You're a one-man band performing. So when I read Momboc's remark:
            Then yes, this is what it is. But then again it reminds me of the synth music that was popular. It also was "simple" but you never saw the hours they put in to program those damn synths (and probably mix the whole lot out of 128 tracks).

So real organ and organ music? Yes, for me it is but I can understand that it is not much know and appreciated. Would I mind going to a bar where they played this? No, but I wouldn't be going every week either.

Now, about the video itself I share the remarks already made. Only thing that I'm not sure off is the sound. Now I heard it on my laptop as the desktop is out of order so not with decent speakers but I got the impression that the sound is distorted, at least the low end. Strangely enough, the sound of the intro isn't. But again, that could have been the pc I was listening on.

Comment

Originally posted by Havoc View Post
              Only thing that I'm not sure off is the sound. Now I heard it on my laptop as the desktop is out of order so not with decent speakers but I got the impression that the sound is distorted, at least the low end. Strangely enough, the sound of the intro isn't. But again, that could have been the pc I was listening on.
              There's nothing wrong with your speakers. I may have accidentally over amplified the music a bit. I didn't notice it until after uploading to Youtube. Their reformatting may have done that too. I didn't think it was annoying enough to redo the video. I will pay more attention to future videos. My previous videos don't have that problem. Just one of the goof-ups demonstrating I'm not perfect.
              Current Instrument... Lowrey (EX5000) Marquee
              Previous Instruments Lowrey (LX500) Celebration | Yamaha (FX20) Electone | Lowrey (C500) Celebration | Lowrey (CO80) Contempo 80
              Videos & Files........... "Anadrac Organ Works" on YouTube | More organ music on my website
              Find me on .............. Facebook | More About Me
              Location .................. Rio Rancho, NM: USA

Comment

Ok, stuff happens... Thanks for letting me know so I don't go messing hours to find out wht you already know.

One result of listening to that is that next garage sale I'm going to look for LP's with that kind of music on. There must be tons around of them but I don't have any.

Comment

I ran the video also. The organ playing certainly is a great example of someone utilizing the Lowrey in the manner they pretty much intended it for. Your material was generally better prepared than most of mine is. I loved seeing a younger person playing (that encompasses a pretty broad age range for the bulk of us in our 70's and 80's). Lowrey would not have lasted as long as they did without dedicated players such as yourself. The bulk of the organs the forum members own, the used ones, came from homes where they were probably rarely if ever played. Yours is clearly loved and used and the care with which you go about your craft shows.

The most impressive aspect of the video is its production values. I see a lot of YouTube and that was one of the best. And I appreciate the proof of imperfection. It is so intimidating being around those that leave us believing that they ARE perfect!
                  Roland Atelier AT-90s, AT-80s, AT-70, 30, and 15. Roland VR-760 combo
                  Yamaha S-90, Kurzweil PC-3x, Casio Privia PX-330, Roland E-80, G-70, BK-5, Leslie 760, 820
                  Moved on:
                  Allen 3MT/Hauptwerk, Technics GA1, Yamaha HX1, AR80, numerous Hammonds, including 2 M's, an L, 2 A-100's, XP-2, XM-1/1c, & an XK-3. Roland Atelier AT-30, 60r, 80, & 20r(2 units), and a slew of Leslies (147, 142, 760, 900, 330).
                  Korg Triton Le-61, Casio Privia PX-310 & 110, and Kurzweils: PC-2x, SP-88, Pro-III, K1000

Comment

Originally posted by jcardana View Post
                    ... Some feedback I've received is to get rid of the Intro and End Credits completely.
                    Yes, you should.
                    Previous: Elka Crescendo 303, Technics G7, Yamaha EL-90
                    Current: Yamaha AR-100

Comment

I would not remove them completely but shorten them considerably. It is nice to know who is going to play what on what organ. And often I get an ad right at the beginning of a youtube clip so it means I don't miss anything essential.

Comment

Originally posted by Havoc View Post
                        I would not remove them completely but shorten them considerably. It is nice to know who is going to play what on what organ.
                        OK but the intro is a right turn-off as it stands.
                        Previous: Elka Crescendo 303, Technics G7, Yamaha EL-90
                        Current: Yamaha AR-100

Comment

Working...
                        X