Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is the Hammond market so nuts here in Australia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is the Hammond market so nuts here in Australia?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/newc...lie/1208421176
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/putn...gan/1197455789
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/tamw...222/1207890419
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/tamw...524/1207890036

Here is just an example of some of the nutso prices we have to deal with here in Australia.. $1,450 for an Elegante for example..
    Current Organs/Keyboards:1967 Hammond H-111, 1971 Hammond L-112, 1972 Hammond T-524

Leslie cabinets: 1975 Leslie 825 & 1974-76 Leslie Model 705
    Past Organs/Keyboards: 1961 Hammond L-101, 1974 Kawai E-300, 1968 Yamaha B-55N, 1979 Yamaha Electone B-55N, 1984 Yamaha Electone ME-50 and a lot more!

Because some people have just no idea of what the organs are worth, or are trying to trade on that Hammond name. If you look at ebay and gumtree ads over here, you'll find the same silly asking prices. Selling prices (completed and sold listings) are more revealing.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Comment

What does a late 50's model B3 with a couple of Leslies go for in UK and Australia?
      Last edited by Jay999; 02-04-2019, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay999 View Post
        What does a late 50's model B3 with a couple of Leslies go for in UK and Australia?
        a B3 and one Leslie goes for $10k, apparently... I saw someone trying to sell a C3 and PR20 tone cabinet for $12k and that is without a Leslie.
        Current Organs/Keyboards:1967 Hammond H-111, 1971 Hammond L-112, 1972 Hammond T-524

Leslie cabinets: 1975 Leslie 825 & 1974-76 Leslie Model 705
        Past Organs/Keyboards: 1961 Hammond L-101, 1974 Kawai E-300, 1968 Yamaha B-55N, 1979 Yamaha Electone B-55N, 1984 Yamaha Electone ME-50 and a lot more!

Comment

The market is driven by scarcity, plus the ignorance and greed of sellers, and idiotic Hipsters pushing up the price of anything "retro"
          Current:
          1971 T-202 with Carsten Meyer mods: Remove key click filters, single-trigger percussion, UM 16' drawbar volume correction. Lower Manual bass foldback.
          Korg CX3 (original 1980's analogue model).
          1967 Leslie 122 with custom inbuilt preamp on back panel for 1/4" line-level inputs, bass & treble controls. Horn diffusers intact.
          2009 Marshall 2061x HW Plexi head into Marshall 4x12 cabinet.

Former:
          1964 C3
          196x M-102
          197x X5
          197x Leslie 825

Comment

• DrawbarDreams
            DrawbarDreams commented
            Editing a comment
            Can confirm that a lot of the sellers who have Hammond organs are greedy ripper offers that want to take advantage of people. I recently saw a Leslie 45 speaker cabinet that didn't look totally original and I called him out on his absurd asking price ($3.5K) and he didn't take the constructive criticism properly. Sadly, I've been pretty much getting a lot of trolls lately when it came to selling my Leslie 825 (which I want to get a 760 in trade for or a working Hammond spinet) One guy even wanted to trade me a collection of used chip packets for it. :/ There was this other guy who wanted to pay me in Bitcoin (when I don't even use the crap) for the Leslie and he kept calling and calling, about 3 days in a row. I was lucky to get my H-111 when I did. a local drummer was getting rid of it because he needed the space. He had an M-101 or M-102 also but he didn't want to sell that. That organ sounded great, but needed some oil. Sadly; the most popular Hammond Techs here in Australia (guys like Geoff Williamson and Garry Lynch) are also guilty of buying organs and leslies for next to nothing and then selling them on after doing basic maintenance. That's just scummery to the lowest of lows, especially when there are genuine players that are looking for an organ but a reseller always beats them to it because the resources that they don't have (like a car or truck) are there for them, whereas the genuine players most of the time do not have a car or truck. It's just a dog-eat-dog kind of situation in the market here, and I'm starting to lose faith in finding a good Hammond setup.

• Papus
            Papus commented
            Editing a comment
            Dude get a clonewheel and a Mini Vent II........
            Unless you've got $10-15K for a console and a 122/145/142, it ain't gonna happen for you in Oz.
            H-111 is a good start. I think it can be modded much like the T-Series for better percussion, key-click and overall EQ curve to make it sound more like a console.
            If I had the funds I would buy a used XK3c and run it through my 122-V.
            I'm just glad I have my modded T202 and my 122-V.....
            A friend is bringing his XK3c to my studio to record through my 122-V in a few days..... that might be the epiphany I need to convince me to retire my T and get a clonewheel.
            I've given up hope of owning a console in Oz. I just cannot justify the outlay when I'm not even a keyboard player - I keep the T202 and 122-V in my studio for OTHER people to play

• DrawbarDreams
            DrawbarDreams commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't even have the funds for a used clonewheel. That's how terrible the market really is here. The H series are console organs, but they have a ton of features that are very unique to them. Hell, I've even offered some people who own clonewheels a Fender Stratocaster in trade for it, and most don't accept because they always want top dollar for everything. The XK3c is a pretty good clonewheel, but it's been superseded by the XK5. I actually have a video I did of myself playing an XK3c at a studio. It was run through a Neo Vent (even though there was a Leslie literally right next to the organ...) and it kind of did impress me. In fact, here's said video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGdQ9XCEsvc I dialled it in to sound like a C3/147.

As Andy suggests,asking prices can be at great variance with final sales prices.Here in the Northeastern US,$10k asking prices for a B3 and Leslie are common,yet a very nice example of that pairing can easily be bought for $5k or less,with a little digging and dealing.

Comment

I saw an M3 recently, unserviced and with no Leslie, asking $3K.... and it would need $1K of work to make it safe and reliable.
            Better off getting a modern clonewheel here.
            Current:
            1971 T-202 with Carsten Meyer mods: Remove key click filters, single-trigger percussion, UM 16' drawbar volume correction. Lower Manual bass foldback.
            Korg CX3 (original 1980's analogue model).
            1967 Leslie 122 with custom inbuilt preamp on back panel for 1/4" line-level inputs, bass & treble controls. Horn diffusers intact.
            2009 Marshall 2061x HW Plexi head into Marshall 4x12 cabinet.

Former:
            1964 C3
            196x M-102
            197x X5
            197x Leslie 825

Comment

Working...
            X