Organ mystique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organ mystique

So only six months ago picked up my first organ off the street. I am now on my 4th and 5 picking up a Hammond colonnade and an Aurora classic and I am trying to figure out why. There is something about getting something for near free that people seem to love enough that they want it to go to a nice home, like a pet dog they couldn’t take care of anymore. Could anyone explain to me what is it about these electronic wonders why this is the case. Does this exist in other realms like Pianos? Oh I should mention getting old music is a blast too. I picked up music from the early 1940s that profits of sale went to US Army emergency fund!
    Hammond: Aurora Custom 227322, Colonnade 333270, T443+T582(combined), L103, Aurora Classic 246100

Originally posted by Origano View Post
    So only six months ago picked up my first organ off the street. I am now on my 4th and 5 picking up a Hammond colonnade and an Aurora classic and I am trying to figure out why.
    Yes, and may I say you have OAS (Organ Acquisition Syndrome) quite bad! It took me years to get to that point.;-)

Originally posted by Origano View Post
    There is something about getting something for near free that people seem to love enough that they want it to go to a nice home, like a pet dog they couldn’t take care of anymore. Could anyone explain to me what is it about these electronic wonders why this is the case.
    There are other degrees of OAS.
    * If you wonder what the organ did so wrong it had to get kicked to the curb–you have it!
    * If you wonder about the organ being separated from its brothers and sisters–you have it!
    * If each organ looks better than the ones you already have–you have it!

Seriously, though, you will realize where you are on the OAS ladder when you pick up non-working organs to "fix," and none of them leave for over a year. Either that, or you run out of room and rent a workshop or storage units to store them.

Best of luck with your illness (says one OAS addict to another).;-)

Michael

P.S. Welcome to the Forum!
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Thanks for the chuckle. I did get rid of the other 3 organs. One went to a brother in-law and two dis-assembled. I am not planning to get more unless relatives ask for one. My challenge now is just learn to play
      Hammond: Aurora Custom 227322, Colonnade 333270, T443+T582(combined), L103, Aurora Classic 246100

Comment

HaHaHa, "not planning to get more", rotfl!
        Tom in Tulsa

Fooling with: 1969 E100, 1955 M3, 1963 M100, Leslie 720

Comment

I don't know about other instruments but I knew a fellow who had SCAS (Stereo Console Acquisition Syndrome) quite bad. Several rooms filled with them. He was a bachelor, of course.

And then there's the washing machine man on YouTube. Former washer/dryer repairman and has a laundromat in his basement - various washer and dryer models - some going back to the 50's, all working and all hooked up. Always the decision, "Hmmm, which machine should I wash this load in today?". ;-)

Of course, if $$$ are available, the sky's the limit. Jasper Sanfilippo, who died about a year ago, had his music palace filled with automatic music machines, a theater organ and an extensive collection of windup phonographs. A museum/listening room built as an addition to his mansion. All from nuts. :->

George
          My instrument: Allen MDS-65 with a New Century Zimbelstern
          Former instruments (RIP): Allen ADC 420; Conn Minuet

Comment

• musikfan
            musikfan commented
            Editing a comment
            My other obsession is antique electric fans. I have probably 12 of them right now, and I'm always looking online for more!

Well I have been looking at the Hammond T 443 and I appear to get lots of encouragement to pick it up. So it does seem that the forum is not doing much to help out people’s addiction in this regard

Comment

I can't speak for anyone else, but owning organs is addictive for me! LOL. I got rid of my last organ about a year ago, and now I am feeling the urge once again....it's time for another organ! I've never gone more than a year or so without having an organ in the house. I've had up to three in the house at one time, but usually end up with just one eventually. My poor wife continues to shake her head in frustration ("Oh good, now he's bringing ANOTHER organ into the house!! WHO is going to help you this time??"). I was a piano major in college and I have not found pianos to be quite the same. I don't know why. But I do agree that the prospect of picking up an organ for free is exciting (if it's the kind that I want). I think that organs are so unique because of the tone color possibilities. For me, I always enjoy checking out the stops that each organ has. I think most of us here on the forum feel the same way...an unexplainable attraction to a beautiful instrument.....
            Craig

Hammond L143 with Leslie 760

Comment

Totally agree. In my case I how no music background but a background in electronics, machining and engineering. My kids both play piano and we have a pretty nice one. The attraction of the organ for me is sound and the interest in keeping an old classic alive with my skills. I learn fixing them and I am slowly learning to play music. I practice about an hour a day. These are all someone’s family heirlooms and that tells you something about them. I do try to give them to family as well with the promise that I will fix them if I can. I have given one away so far.

Comment

Since this is my first meeting I will introduce myself
                My name is beyerjf and I have OAS (Organ Acquisition Syndrome)
                ....welcome murmurs from the rest of the room, an offer of some punch and cookies....
                It started innocently enough perusing Facebook Marketplace in November of 2020. There it was, a Hammond Colonnade at a church in Valparaiso, IN. Free. Just get it out of here
                Comes home, and plays fine, minor issues. Then a 720 Leslie to go with it, still working on getting that hooked up.
                Then a Kawai XR9000 at a pawn shop in May of 2021. (Really, a pawn shop? What else did the guy hock? His .357 revolver and wedding ring?).
                Now in July 2021 I picked up not one, but 2 Technics SX-FN3's. And one of them came with a Lowrey Debut spinet that I have NO use for. All for free. All totally operational, one of the Technics came out of the home of the original owner who had passed away. Daughter said just get it out of here....
                Origano has the right idea. By the way, I am poaching most of this stuff from Michigan and/or northern Indiana. So he better pay attention.....
                Current inventory. Yamaha HX-1,Hammond Colonnade w/ Leslie 720, Kawai XR9000, (2) Technics FN3, Tyros 5, PSR 910.
                Is that enough?

Comment

720 should be plug and play with the Collonade, 11 pin leslie and 11 pin socket. All you should need is a cable. IIRC they kept the leslie sockets on the XR900 even though they ditched the internal leslie, so that should be plug and play as well.
                  It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                  Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                  Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
                  Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

The only effective treatment for chronic OAS is a shortage of real estate. Unfortunately, the only truly effective cure for it is death.

Thankfully, I don't have OAS and I definitely don't need any more organs. That said, should an orphaned B-3 come calling, I'd give it a home without a second thought.
                    -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
                    Leslie 147 #F7453.
                    Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

Working...
                    X