Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is to be Gained by Abusing Instruments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is to be Gained by Abusing Instruments?

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...6&acctid=10340
    https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...2&acctid=11694

Help me understand–what's to be gained by abusing an obviously top-quality instrument? When I first began teaching, I watched a co-worker take a screwdriver and repeatedly jab and assault the chorus' upright piano in the band room. What was the point? He was near retirement, but I was tempted to retire him early. I've also seen organs so abused they would be lucky to still be alive. What gives?

The two instruments above are barely left standing, and at least the Steinway was a quality instrument at one time. I wonder what happened to make the instrument of so little value they wouldn't maintain it? Grrrrrr.😡

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

As a hobbyist who restores old electronic equipment (mainly tube radios) I see value in well built equipment and instruments and am distressed to see such stuff vandalized.

Seeing otherwise good tube radios turned into guitar amplifiers has always annoyed me.

Seeing images of tone-wheel Hammonds left by the roadside in the rain also distresses me.

An of course we have so many abandoned pipe organs rotting away in churches, or former churches, around the world.

A few years ago I visited my alma mater college which now has more than 30 music rooms with pianos in them (back in my day there were only about 6). About half of those pianos are Kawai or Yamaha grands and I was distressed to see their physical condition. As it happened the tuner was there on that day and I asked him about how the pianos were treated by the students and he said "Not as well as they should be".

My guess is that students take out their various frustrations on the pianos and, because they are in a room with only a small window in the door, I guess they think they can get away with it. Maybe CCTV is an answer.

In my experience, those who vandalize stuff have no sense of value because -- for whatever reason -- they have never worked to earn (or raise) the money to pay for anything worthwhile.
    -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
    Leslie 147 #F7453.
    Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
      In my experience, those who vandalize stuff have no sense of value because -- for whatever reason -- they have never worked to earn (or raise) the money to pay for anything worthwhile.
      GTC,

Key statement on your part! It seems like kids in school today have an attitude of, "You owe me," and are willing to go to all ends to get what they want. I had a student only show up for half my classes last term, and when she was there, she consistently criticized what the other students had chosen to sing–wasting all their time. The parents were upset with what I put on her report card and wanted the grade changed. I suggested they come up with a grade, and I'd put it on–even though we all knew she didn't deserve it!

Michael
      Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
      • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
      • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Abusing instruments reminds me of my fourth grade piano teacher who threw my music across the room and said, "Why do you bother" I never thought to tell her that I heard more than the notes on the page.

Comment

What happened to the Steinway & Sons was University of Georgia students. (Voted "most party college" several years.)
          -- Hi, I'm Lamar -- Allen TC-4 Classic project -- 1899 Kimball, Rodgers W5000C, Roland DS-61/88, FA-06, VR-09B, Conn 643, Hammond M3, E112, and L-102, 8 Melodicas
          "If you're not depressed, you're not paying attention." Lancelot Evers

Comment

Working...
          X