This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen ADC-2000

Good Day, we have an Allen ADC2000 at church and would like to add midi. We know that Allen can added it to the keyboards and pedals but what I would like to know is if there is a way to add it to the stop rail as well. If anyone has had success with this, which means the Allen voices still work please let me know. </P>

I was thinking that a midi board wired to sense the stop action voltages would work as long as it all grounds to the same place. So what I guess I am looking for is a midi board that can use the power supply on the Allen stop keys and not interfere with the normal operation.</P>

Any Ideas?</P>

Thanks</P>

Chris</P>

Re: Allen ADC-2000

Chris,</P>

JBird604 has a successful implementation of this with his ADC-4000. He'd be the person to talk to (among others) on this forum.</P>

Hope this helps.</P>

Michael</P>
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Thanks Michael I will contact him.

Comment

Chris,</P>

I do have MIDI on our ADC4000 and have done the same on several ADC Allen's. But this is simply the addition of the MIDI translator board available from Allen. Installation is quick and easy and gives you MIDI out on both manuals and pedals. However, expression, stop controls, pistons, and transposer dataare not in the MIDI stream.</P>

Perhaps someonehas put MIDI on an ADC Allen and made it transmit stop data.However,the stop controls are multiplexed in a daisy chain arrangement on ADC models, at least the reed switches that run to the console multiplexer. (Previous models used simple ground-to-frame stop switches, and it would have been simple to MIDI those tabs... but ADC is different!)</P>

I do think, however, that the capture action "sense" contacts on ADC organs use the same old ground-to-frame system as the older MOS organs. (I'm referring to the early ADC production, before they switched over to USCP capture, but that was after the 2000.)</P>

Now, if your organ is truly a 2000, it will have (if I remember correctly) blind pistons rather than a DM-3 capture. If it's a 2010, it will have DM-3. In either case, there may be a set of reed switches on the stop tabs that switch to ground to send a "sense" signal to the capture system.</P>

If that is the case, you could surely devise a MIDI interface that would use this sense information to sendstop-down data. You might have to isolate your MIDI interface from each tab with a diode, but I don't think it would interfere with operation of the Allen capture action.</P>

But I'm not speaking from experience. You will have to do some investigating to see if the contacts I'm speaking of really exist on that organ.</P>

Keep up the good work. Let us know how it turns out.</P>

John</P>
        <P mce_keep="true"></P>
        John
        ----------
        *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Hi John, I know that the the combination is factory set and this organ was installed in 1985 but believe it may have had parts manufactured in 83 as some tags have this date on them. There are 2 "on" contact wires and 2 supply wires to each stop tab. Also this combination action does not move.</P>

Does this help in determining the exact model? I do not remember seeing the 2010 in the gudie that cam with this organ I think there was the 1000 2000 and either 3000 or 4000.</P>
          <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Chris</P>

Comment

Chris,</P>

If you have the non-moving tabs, it is a 2000. When I was selling Allen, that is one model I never sold. I always cajoled the customer into buying a 3000 because everything that was optional on the 2000 came free with the 3000 and I just wouldn't let them not do it!</P>

So I'm not sure what kind of stop brackets are in yours. The turn-on switching is going to be daisy-chained, as it is in all the full-line (4-digit) ADC models. So that portion cannot be used for MIDI. However, there may be a separate reed switch on the bracket that only switches to ground, that was put there in case you upgraded the organ to settable capture.</P>

That would be the place to tap into it for a MIDI adapter.Sorry I can't be more specific. I'm curious to know what you find.</P>

John</P>
            <P mce_keep="true"></P>
            John
            ----------
            *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Hi John, it definetly has non-moving tabs, this organ was bought from the factory as we are about 30 minutes away from Allen. The folks who chose this model were not greatly informed on organs. I will check for the additional reed switch on the tab.</P>

Thanks</P>

Chris</P>

Comment

Working...
              X