X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• registration help and questions

Please give me some good hymn playing registration ideas. </p>

I am currently playing an ADC-8000, and while it doesn't sound bad, there is not the "warmth" (not sure how else to describe it) that I would like to have. Is there anything I can do, registration-wise, to improve this?</p>

Thanks in advance!
    </p>

Re: registration help and questions

lots of diapasons. so as not to overwhelm the chorus. string ranks sound warm as well.

Comment

Also avoid the highest pitches and mutationsto mellow the registration.

Comment

Sounds like you might be looking for string stops (as someone already mentioned) or string celestes? If the organ has a Romantic Tuning switch, perhaps that might get you what you're looking for.</P>

In avoiding the "high pitches," the Mixtures (roman numeral stops) tend to be the more austere-sounding or high-pitched.</P>

On my ADC-4300, I like the Flute Dolce II (too soft for hymns), and it gives a warm, lush sound.</P>

Rather than using a Diapason Chorus, perhaps use a Flute Chorus (8', 4', 2', and perhaps 1' Flute). I believe on that organ, they're called Flöte. Perhaps add string stops to that chorus to round it out. That said, however, it wouldn't be wonderful for leading hymns on a regular basis.</P>

If we had more information, that would help:</P>
        <UL>
        <LI>Denomination</LI>
        <LI>Stoplist</LI>
        <LI>Your experience level (i.e. if you don't know what a Diapason Chorus is, it means nothing if we tell you to use it).</LI>[/list]

Let us know more, and perhaps we can help you more.</P>

Michael</P>

P.S. I forgot to mention that on that organ, a 1' flute stop would have to be coupled from the Swell or Choir if you're playing on the Great. Sorry![:$]</P>
        Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
        • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
        • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

The congregation gets its pitch primarily from the 4' diapason (Octave). The 4' octave (or principle on some organs) should be included, the 8' tone can be a diapason or 8' flute and 8' string combined. You probably should avoid mixtures unless they are subdued. After the music is well understood, the final verse can be on a more substantial registration. (these recommendations are from my music teacher)</p>

For my own taste, the 8' diapason, 4' octave, and 2' piccolo sound good. For a more substantial texture add the 8' flute and 4' flute. The pedal is 16' diapason, 8' diapason, 4' octave.</p>

A visiting church organist used 8' Tibia, 8' flute, 2' piccolo for group singing, it seemed to work well and not overwhelm the singers.</p>

</p>

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies and advice!</p>

Denomination would be baptist, and I guess I should have stated in my original post that it is not really the organ leading. So, my registration needs to be one that blends well with piano, orchestra/praise band, etc.</p>

I am not that experienced of an organist. I would like to learn more. :)</p>

I will definitely try the suggestions that you all have made.
            </p>

Comment

That does make quite a difference...the presence of other instruments. Iecho the idea ofnot using mixtures or reeds, unless you are doing a hymn that really works well with them. I have played a few services that are more blended (hymns with lots of praise choruses in medley format, with lots of other instruments), and attended the church as a congregant for a couple years.</P>

I would suggest that you play so that you are not "heard" above the others, but that if you were to suddenly stop playing, it would be very noticeable. Make sense? If you have a 2' principal screeching out over the orchestra/band, you are not going to make any friends. Think of the organ as a good support for the bass line, and a "warm" canvas for the other instruments to project their sound into. 8' principals with 8' and 4' flutes might work great, especially if you're not trying to lead. Although many organists will completely disagree with me, I think celestes CAN be used in congregational singing, especially if you want a soft and luxurious sound. The usual objection to this is that the celeste rank is tuned slightly sharp, to create a "fizzy" wonderful sound. I personally believe that your average church-goer has no ideathe celesteis out of tune, and will continue to sing as in-tune or out-of-tune as they normally do. Registrations just depend on the song. </P>

Depending on the type of music, you could do something like this on these songs:</P>

<U>Shine, Jesus, Shine</U>
              flutes and strings on the verses
              add principals on the chorus </P>

<U>To God Be the Glory (great things he hath done...)
              </U>flutes and principals on the verse
              add 8' reeds on the refrain for some punch, even pedal reeds and maybe a mixture on the final chorus for a BIG ending, etc.</P>

<U>Shout to the Lord</U>
              maybe a string or flute celeste for the verses?
              add 8' principal or some flutes on the chorus
              possibly add more stops if you have a big crescendo or key change</P>

I realize you may not know any of these songs, or they may be "old" compared to what your congregation sings. I just thought they might be popular enough that you would be able to imagine the sound in your head. Good luck!!!</P>

Comment

Working...
              X