X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowrey cntempo 80?

Hey guys,</p>

I'm new to the forum and to organs. I would like to learn to play organ. I found a lowrey contempo 80 that I could get for free. I have done some research and it seems pretty good. Is this a gem? What is the tone like? I'm hoping it will have some tone and not a cheesy organ sound. </p>

</p>

Do you guys have nay expierence with these? Also are there any audio clips of videos of these getting played? Do you guys think I should get it?</p>

</p>

Thanks,</p>

matt
    </p>

Re: Lowrey cntempo 80?

I've no experience to contribute but one cannot but note that the price is right. If it's functional I see no downside in acquiring it. As to whether or not it would be a suitable instrument on which to take serious lessons, I will defer to others here more knowledgeable than I.</P>

David</P>

Comment

I only have a little experience working with early Lowrey's but a free organ is a very nice place to start if you are a learner. The more you learn the more you'll discover what "you" really like (we are all different as you will see as you follow forum discussions forawhile). The type of music you like is also an important part of your decision to acquire the organ. And your ability to move the organ home is another consideration. If you don't have a truck, or friend with a truck, free gets expensive really fast. I have spent as much as $250 to move a free organ less than 10 miles. Ah, those were the days when I had enough money. There is a Lowrey forum you can join on Yahoo groups that you will find very helpful in your decision. Best wishes for learning the organ. It is a wonderful and relaxing past time.

Comment

Hi Matt</p>

Firstly, this is posted under Claasic and church organs. If you're thinking that the CO80 will sound just like a church organ, it won't. It is, however, a very good example of a 'classic' home organ. More theatre organ than classical. Very smooth flute/tibia sounds, lush strings and, for the era, some very good solo instrumentals etc.</p>

Even if your eventual ambition is to play classical organ, you can start on the Lowrey. Ignore those who say that you can't, I know those who have. The director of music at one school I taught at started off his organ 'career' on a Hammond and leslie, after hearing rock organ! It's a starting point, and the price is right!</p>

Join the Lowrey Yahoo group. my friends and I over there are very helpful and friendly, and even if the organ isn't in the very best of condition, there are plenty of people who will offer advice. At $0, you have nothing to lose, so go for it.</p>

There are some Youtube clips of this model and the very similar Coronation model being played.
        </p>

Andy
        </p>
        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
        Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
        Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Well sorry I didn't get back.</p>

</p>

I went and listened to it last night. Some of the sounds sounded good, but others very cheesy. It also had some issues that the top keyboard was 2x the volume of the bottom and at random it would start playing one of the drumbeats or something. It was actually pretty funny. Although I don't mind a good project. My dad since I'm a teenager and still live at home does not want it in the house. On the facts that it weighs 400lb's and he doesn't want it there when I move out or go to college in a few years. </p>

</p>

Looks like I will have to wait a few years before taking up this venture or at least until something decent comes by that my dad would be willing to have in the house.</p>

</p>

Thanks for the advice guys!
          </p>

peace,</p>

matt
          </p>

Comment

Working...
          X