This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for an Organ

I am an avid pianist but am searching for a suitable organ. Having been piano shopping multiple times, I thought finding an organ would be easy. Organ shopping has turned out to be much more frustrating than looking for a piano. I have been to about every shop where I live and have received responses ranging from "what the heck do you want an organ for?" to very helpful salesmen. My problem is that there are not many organs locally and I do not care for the models they do have. Many of the used organs have very poor crackling sound and the new organs seem to have all sorts of bells and whistles I don't need while not having what I do need (full pedalboard and multiple manuals). Does anybody have advice?</P>

I am mainly interested in baroque music.</P>

Re: Searching for an Organ

[quote user="naking"] . . . what I do need (full pedalboard and multiple manuals). Does anybody have advice?

I am mainly interested in baroque music.[/quote]</P>

May I assume you're interested in a church or classical style organ, rather than theatre style or Hammond?</P>

Assuming that, you may wish to check out eBay and CraigsList. On eBay, your search terms could be: Allen Organ, Rodgers Organ, Pipe Organ, Church Organ, etc. On CraigsList, the method of searching is a bit more complicated, but I have started a threadwith organs available on CraigsList. (http://organforum.com/forums/3/90051/ShowThread.aspx)</P>

It would help to know in which geographical region of the country you reside. From your profile, I see that you're in the Central Time Zone. That would put you in close proximity to severalmembers of this Forum who could help you find a used organ.</P>

Hope this helps.</P>

Michael</P>
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

I am located in eastern Nebraska and am not interested in theatre organs. Craigslist only has very small spinet organs listed in the area. The good stuff seems to be located at the coasts. [8o|]</P>
      <P mce_keep="true">P.S. There is a nice one that I'd chew my right leg off for, but I don't have $28,000.</P>

Comment

If you chew your right leg off you won't be able to play classical organ!</P>

You would still be able to play theater organ, as you only need your left foot!</P>

LOL</P>

Comment

http://www.keyboardkastle.com/ourlocation/</P>

They are the Allen dealer. They havea Rodgers 760--one of the later analog organs, 2 manuals, lighted drawknobs. If they are flexible on price (they should be) it might be a choice for you. In Omaha.</P>
          <P mce_keep="true"></P>

You could contact: http://www.geraldoehring.com/churcho..._showroom.htmlto see if they have any used organs.</P>
          <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Also, Church Organs of Colorado (Denver) shows an Allen MDS-16 for sale by owner in the Denver area--not that far for a pick up. See: http://www.churchorgansofcolorado.com/used_allen.htm</P>
          <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Toodles.</P>

Comment

:DI have played that very rodgers organ.</p>

It is not at their store. It is in their storage house at the Cross Roads mall off of 72 and dodge in Omaha. You have to call them to hook up a time to go over there.</p>

</p>

DONT WORRY THEY HAVE SO MANY more organs than on that website. Their website is quite outdated. I went to go look at some pianos in the storage center.</p>

They have 4 conn 3 manual theatre organs. That big rodgers (beautiful sounding organ) A few digital old allens, some hammonds, kimballs, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Its really the best place to find an organ in omaha.</p>

</p>

Now their new allens. Ehh I can say I have died and gone to heaven playing theirs. They sold the big new 3 manual. But the smaller 2 manual is still in their store. Its a fine instrument for sure.</p>

Comment

Yes, but that quoted price seems high considering the fact that it uses outdated technology. Perhaps it's just me.

Comment

It actually is quite fair. You should try it for fun. It is an incredible organ for its size and age.

Comment

Hi, Brandon. Glad you're back to the forum. At one time didn't you consider the big Conn Theater organ. Is it one of the crackling organs? Don't be too afraid of the storage condition of the organs you see. Most of them improve greatly when you work with them to recharge the circuits and keep playing daily. These older organs were not meant for long term storage and so they don't play well at all when neglected.</P>

You might get a real gem at a great price by considering something older. There are settings on the Conn, which while not as exact as their digital counterparts, were specifically designed for church liturgy. So while the organ come labeled as a theater organ it is also something of a hybrid because Conn's biggest and best were always prepared for the church market.</P>

Best wishes in your new search.</P>

Comment

It has really now come down to, unfortunately, that I will never own an organ in my parents house. After the incident with my last organ and selling it to "Not get the erard grand piano" my parents said no more organs.</p>

</p>

Hopefully if I can get my job kicking off, I can pay for lessons. I hope....</p>

Comment

'Kicking off' ...what sort of job is that? [:S]

Comment

Well my fascination with vacuum cleaner collecting has gotten me thinking about working for a local vac shop and do repair work, and clean up all the old antique vacuums. (maybe taking some home!) As well as starting my own cleaning business.Small easy job to do for several months before getting a car and being old enough to work at certain stores.</p>

Comment

God luck in your cleaning business, Brandon!</p>

I have a flat that needs a weekly clean. I'd even let you have an hour or two practice time on my Hauptwerk set-up! It's a shame you're in Nebraska and I am in the UK...
                          </p>

Comment

[off-topic]</P>

Vacuum cleaner collecting, how unusual. You might be interested to hearI've hada Kirby 519 (I think that was the model) and what I seem to recall was an Electrolux 'XXX' - very streamlined.</P>

Comment

They suck . . . [:$]</P>

(Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!)</P>

Comment

Working...
                              X