This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts about Allen Protege AP-2?

I just came across what seems to be a decent deal on a fairly modern organ - an Allen Protege AP-2. Can anyone tell me their thoughts about the complement of stops on this organ, the sound, and of course what a reasonable price would be? Is specification information available anywhere online?
    </p>

All I know is that this would be a newer model, but I'm not sure how new. It says it originally was about $12,000 and used for approximately one year, in mint condition. For that matter, is this a full sized AGO console?
    </p>

</p>

Thanks!
    </p>
    Corey

Allen MDS-41-S with MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Schulmerich Carillon Americana - 61 notes Flemish / Harp / Celesta / Quadra / Minor Tierce
    - MIDI Retrofit finally underway & Moller console in need of refurbishment
    Schulmerich Campanile Digital Carillon (Cast & Harp)

Re: Thoughts about Allen Protege AP-2?

May I urge caution regarding the possibility that this instrument has the non-AGO "Princess" pedalboard . . .

Comment

Thanks for the warning - I've seen conflicting information whether the console barely comes in above AGO standards or if it does have the "Princess" pedalboard. It would be nice to see some solid proof either way. I did see one of these in a video from a church on YouTube, not that it necessarily means anything, but one would hope to see a full sized console there.
      Corey

Schulmerich Carillon Americana - 61 notes Flemish / Harp / Celesta / Quadra / Minor Tierce

Comment

Hi,</p>

Yes, the AP-2 is an organ with the "princess pedals".</p>

The organ is well constructed. If you like Allen organ sound from the mid 90s to say 2002, you will like it. If you are not partial to the Allen sound, there is other stuff out there that is more pipe-like sounding.</p>

The organ does have some voicing controls, but it is done in groups of stops. Everything properly leveled it will sound relatively decent.</p>

I wouldn't pay a lot for one of these.</p>

AV
        </p>

Comment

The current asking price is somewhere around $3500. I'm not sure that I can justify that, especially with the pedalboard not being standard. What would a fair price be for this organ?</p>

On the upside, I think it is still fairly new (not sure of exact age, but that would be worthwhile data as well). Therefore I would guess it should sound decent and would make a great practice instrument. My goal is to get the pipe organ running, but with everything else going on in my life it would be nice to have a good electronic so I can actually practice and learn more in the meantime.</p>

Would this model have the selectable voicings, or is it prior to that?</p>

Any other thoughts?</p>

Thanks!
          </p>
          Corey

Comment

Forget it because of the princess pedalboard.

Comment

Okay, what the heck is a 'princess pedalboard?'
              -Gary

If it's not baroque, don't fix it.
              YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thevande...?feature=guide
              Web Site (with sheet music): http://www.garyvanderploeg.com

Comment

"Princess" is the unofficial term for the non-AGO Allen Organ pedalboard. It's slightly narrower and the sharps are shorter than standard AGO.

Comment

Chris,</P>

The princess pedalboard shaves about 6" off the width and 6" off the overall depth of an AGO, best I can tell from the drawings on Allen's tech site. The pedalboard has 32 keys and they are concave and radiating like AGO. They are centered on the manuals,just like theAGO spec. What it amounts to is that the low C is about 3" closer to you than on an AGO board, as is the high G.</P>

So the pedal keys are a smidge narrower and closer together. The sharps are also smaller, annoyingly so IMHO. The shortening of the board front to back has little bearing on the playability, but does help this model fit into tighter spaces. It also seems to me that the expression pedal is more out over the pedals than it ought to be, but you just have to train yourself not to accidentally hit it.</P>

When I have to work on andplay one of these now and then, I find that I adapt to it quite readily, though my shoes have to come off to keep me from hitting more than one pedal at a time. (Sorryto those who find sock-playing a shock!) I'm speaking of work and street shoes, here. Don't know how real organ shoes would work with this pedalboard.</P>

The AP-2 uses MDS "W5" technology, which was excellent stuff. Some people think it sounds as good as Renaissance. It represents Allen's 5th generation of digital organs, so it's pretty refined. The stops are divided into four groups, each group having bass, treble, and level controls. Also the "wind" effect is fully adjustable and there is a very good digital reverb built in.</P>

It sounds about as good as any speakers-in-console digital. There are terminals provided to connect external speakers, which I'd think would be a great idea. I'm not a fan of the all in your lap sound of Allen's self-contained consoles.</P>

Though Allen now has the "chapel" models that are fairly inexpensive and may tend to detract from the value of a used one like this, truth is this one may be built better. It will have the genuine Allen wooden keysticks, unlike the current low-end Allen's that have the cheaper Fatar metal and plastic keys. Not a big deal, but you are getting a little better hardware with the AP-2 over a new chapel model.</P>

Anyway, it all depends on whether you can accept the princess pedals. Otherwise it's an excellent little organ. A dealer might well get $4k for it, so the $3500 you mention is not too bad, if you don't have to spend a whole lot to get it delivered. As with any used organ, it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.</P>

John</P>
                  <P mce_keep="true"></P>
                  John
                  ----------
                  *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

I purchased an AP-3 (I think it is almost the same, just a little larger than the AP-2) several years ago on Ebay, and have it my dining room, and constructed an external speaker for it. I too hate all the in-your-lap sounding speakers. Anyway, it has the princess pedal board, but I soon get used to it. I play and AP-4 at one church, and a Protege C-14 at another, so I wanted something very similar. I think the AP-3 sounds great once I got it adjusted using the external speakers. When I sit down at it, it does take me a song or two to get used to the pedalboard, but it comes pretty quickly.

Comment

Hi Corey,

Here is a link to a video I made a couple months ago showing a Princess, and an AGO pedalboard side by each. That should give you a good idea if you will be happy with one or not.

Both of the pedalboards are Allens .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QE8KBXA2-4
                      Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), US-1, EL-25 ( Chopped ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755. 1919 Wangerin 2/7 pipe organ.

Comment

Of course, it is better the AGO pedalboard, but one get used to this shorter one, as I did. I would buy that organ for that price, provided that a) it should have MIDI ports and b) Allen keyboardas- NON FATAR KEYBOARDS.
                        So, with a computer and some extra bucks you can also include a marvelous Hauptwerk in it.

Comment

Working...
                        X